fenix, make a 18650 light for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
wouldn't it be cool to mass email fenix asking for a 18650 light.
i have not seen a single 18650 light out there but it must be the best battery on the market.
3.6 volts and 2400mah makes for alot of watts!
put it in a fenix with a short reflector for typical spill of the l2d or others, and it would be a golden hit!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Think of it this way though.

It would be a great hit for many of us but unless they couple it with a 18650 battery/batteries and a charger, most people won't buy one because they don't have/don't know about the 18650 battery.

Fenix, at least make one that is compatible with a 18650 battery.

Please

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
They probably won't make a light that would appeal to less than 1% of their total market.

Then make a light cappable of accepting both 18650, or 2 x CR123's.

Most people wouldent think of the battery rattle from 2 x CR123's as much of an issue, or could just wrapp the cells in as post-it-not or tape, and have done with the rattle.

I do that on all my noisy 2 x RCR set ups, and the post it note holds together in the tube for cell changeouts.

Personally I would never bother with 2 x Cr123's in series, unless it was an emergency, but thats down to location and cost mainly, and saftey a close second.

I havent bought a Fenix light yet, I will, but only when they make a 18650 one, & only if it doesn't look as crazy as the T1 :duh2:

The P3D in 18650 size, with no cut outs/ flats on the body, and knurling instead;
& a bezle Down pocket clip, that is detachable, would be perfect.

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
:confused:
What do you want a flashlight to look like?

Like the last paragragh I mentioned in my last post. a P3D would do it for me but knurled so It ain't slippy

The T1 has the pointy bits at the wrong end, I could accept pinty bits on both ends, but if it is on just one end it should go on the front;

The reflector seems to small for the head size;

The clip strange looking, seems out of place on that light, and I have wire pocket clips on knives that i had a say in designing in, and that works well on them, just not on a big chunky torch. Also initial reports of the clip are bad, scratching on the body, and unremovable, what happens when you catch the light on something, and the clip is bent? how do you bend it back if you cant remove it and stick it in a vise? could be tricky. One guy coulden't deal with the clip he just bent it back and fourth untill it came of;

The glow in the dark button is real "tactical" :thinking: (not that I buy into the whole tactical thing, but a glow in the dark tailcap for "Tactical operations"?

I think that will do for now, but The T1 looks :sick2::duh2::green::thumbsdow to me.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only agrees with you about the glow in the dark tailcap, I don't like it.
Do you have the Surefire L5 and U2? That's what I called a flashlight.
The T1 look like a copy of the L5, solid build, I like it.
Now, if the T1 can used 18650 for an hour, I love it more.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
they make an ugly light now, that is in no way comparable to the elegant and good pocketable lights built till now - with unnecessary sharp edges, multiple diameters and whatever crazy things else
(T1)

Have never read of any Fenix-user that such a model is liked

what we argue to get are:
LOW low level and
a Model for an 18650

so why not build that 18650 one?
(with low low level)

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Already have 18650 batteries, need a light that would take protected 18650. I would want a Fenix with THICKER threads, they are too small on the P1 i have. Also a regular FULL 1.5 mm STEEL clip, one that can be clipped to a hat, so normal clip like the Surefire L1, 3 stages maybe 15 lumens, 60 and 120 lumes. Easy removeable clip. Real CLICK switch ONLY for LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH, OFF. Keep the cost around $65. Modular design if possible or easy upgrade of the LED. Nice OP reflector.

What I don't want to see: Wire clip, upside down clip, no turning on the HEAD of any kind for OFF, ON, light levels. No MEMORY of any kind for any levels. No strobe or sos.

Thanks much.
Chris

Last edited:

Ski Trucker

Newly Enlightened
Can some one please explain the advantage the 18650 battery has over rr123a batteries. I've only used rcr123a and nimh AA. Thanks

gnef

Enlightened
greater capacity, and you don't have to put multiple li-ion rechargables in series, which can become dangerous. at least these are the things I think. I do not have any 18650 batteries or lights, but would have no qualms using them in the future.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are quite a bunch of 18650 lights on dealextreme and such, but the built Quality is poor.

Example why an 18650 is way better than 2 CR123s:
Light, driven by Flupic, gives 2 h 15 mins (or more) @ 1 A to the led.
How long does a P3D give its 850 mA to the led? less than 2 hours afaik.

And the Li-Ion does not add more size or weight to the light (I have a SF 6P and an Inova T1 running with an 18650 instead of the CRs, most any 2 CR123 light can be modded this way) + there's less confusion when changing batts (less parts), no chance to kill one of the cells while discharging, no cell venting, ...

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like many have said - A light similar to a P3D able to fit and use a 18650 would be fantastic. Give it more knurling and in natural HAIII and that would be killer.

The closest I have come to this is using a 17650 in my P3D. What I do not like is that only unprotected cells fit with the wrapper removed and tape used in place. Also I have heard that it is hit or miss on this approach as well with cells fitting.

My P3D works very well with the 17650 in full regulation and appears to provide similar runtime to using (2) - RCR123's from others runtimes that I have seen. I have gotten approax. 3 hours on high before seeing any flicker. I am careful not to over discharge the cell and use a quality Pila charger when recharging. I never leave any rechargable cells unattended while charging. I like using 1 cell in lights rather than two but would prefer being able to use a protected cell for the extra protection they provide.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Have you considered Dereelight's offerings? They only do 18650/17650/2x CR123 lights and the DBS I have is absolutely brilliant; the quality is nice and the aluminium is thick.

Andrew

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree absolutely we need flashaholics a run of 18650 with LOW low from Fenix. They can always make the light compatible with 2X CR123's but put in an extra 2mm to fit an 18650.

Until then I'll keep buying DereeLights, maybe a Lumapower, and hope that EDGE Tac's next light is an 18650. :grin2:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
if only fenix saw this link.
we each already have an average of two of their lights, and would still buy another one!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Fenix should really do, is to offer a rechargeable kit. With or without their lights. Every major Flashlight Manufacturer has one or more rechargeable light/kit in their lines, Fenix should not sleep on this. And make a rechargeable light that is Non-Flashaholic-friendly, because most people that are not into this hobby don't want to mess with loose batteries/charges/spacers. Therefore, a light that recharges in a proprietary cradle like the Inova T4 or Streamlight Stinger/Strion is way more appealing. That's the only way to put 18650 batteries in the mainstream scene.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on 18650 only light, please no RCR123 and 18650 light as we lose some efficiency over pratical with multi-voltage setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.