Wanted - Stupidly powerful turnkey light under $200

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED, HID or hotwire, I don't care. I have built a 6D ROP - sweet! I have two HIDs though.

What I am looking at right now is the 400 lumen Wolf Eyes Lion M300 incan. Shipped to my door, under $200 from PTS. I like tha form factor better than that of the Thunder AX - it's short and fat. My preference would be the Storm, but that's more than I want to spend right now. And for some reason I find myself liking incans.

So, let's hear it! Can you beat the Wolf Eyes price and performance point? I'm all ears.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can build it, seven DX P60 dropins next to each other in a gutted incan spotlight body are pretty giggleworthy. I built one, there's also one called the Light Rat. ~1000 lumens, ~$85 in parts.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can build it, seven DX P60 dropins next to each other in a gutted incan spotlight body are pretty giggleworthy. I built one, there's also one called the Light Rat. ~1000 lumens, ~$85 in parts.

Sweet! I can see myself getting deranged over that one! :) But I'm short on time with about six too many projects (my other screen right now is a circuit simulation - still at work at 11:30PM - ugh!), so how about turnkey - lotsa lumens out of the box is what I want. Insert batteries or charge and push da button!

Nearly bedtime - I hope there is a jewel of a suggestion out there when I wake up! :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Morning, Mike! Sleep well? :)

If you don't have time for new projects, would you consider simply assembling a light from separate components? If so, here's a suggestion:

-Osram 64633 (15V/10A/5600L)
-MOP reflector
-Bi-pin adapter
-Glass window
-Battery (custom-build a pack with 12 Elite 1700s)
-Mag 4D

Estimated torch lumens: 4000
Estimated runtime: 5 minutes
Estimated cost: $120

It assumes you have a pack charger of some sort, or at least wires with magnets on the ends. You'll also need to find some way of making sure the battery makes the proper connections in the light. I'd offer to make you a couple end caps, but mine are pretty crude.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thanks :)

Umm, holy crap. Does it set stuff on fire? :)
Yes, I would say it does. I have pretty much the same setup but with a 62138 (100W instead of 150), and it can start fires. It'll happen even faster if you use the right reflector, like an ellipsoidal. Those are fun.

sawlight

Enlightened
Morning, Mike! Sleep well? :)

If you don't have time for new projects, would you consider simply assembling a light from separate components? If so, here's a suggestion:

-Osram 64633 (15V/10A/5600L)
-MOP reflector
-Bi-pin adapter
-Glass window
-Battery (custom-build a pack with 12 Elite 1700s)
-Mag 4D

Estimated torch lumens: 4000
Estimated runtime: 5 minutes
Estimated cost: $120

It assumes you have a pack charger of some sort, or at least wires with magnets on the ends. You'll also need to find some way of making sure the battery makes the proper connections in the light. I'd offer to make you a couple end caps, but mine are pretty crude.

You are FRIGGIN NUTS!!!!

I like that trait:crackup:

Whats the run time with the 100w?

Crude as it may be, what would you want for something of this nature? I am in the same boat, no time for doing much anymore!! I am looking for a new EDC (I think that is settled), and keep reading about, and finding beamshots of HID's. I have no reasonable need for one, unless I can get about an hour runtime, with a wow factor, but OMG ARE THEY COOL OR WHAT!!!!!!:grin2:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are FRIGGIN NUTS!!!!

Crude as it may be, what would you want for something of this nature? I am in the same boat, no time for doing much anymore!! I am looking for a new EDC (I think that is settled), and keep reading about, and finding beamshots of HID's. I have no reasonable need for one, unless I can get about an hour runtime, with a wow factor, but OMG ARE THEY COOL OR WHAT!!!!!!:grin2:
I get a few minutes of full output, followed by several minutes of declining output.

For a pair of endcaps, I think it would work best to have them permanently installed, so I'd like to have the battery available to work with. My own are loose, and it was a pain getting the caps keyed properly. Maybe $5-10 or something?

If you want an EDCable HID, you'll probably need to go with one of the 10W dealies for about $300. I believe the runtime is usually about an hour or two. You could try a Vector Power-On-Board (a.k.a. Sam's Club HID) for about $50-100. They're 35W, 3200L, 6000K, 70min.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are FRIGGIN NUTS!!!!

You have a PM :) I love HIDs. They are awesome fun.

sawlight

Enlightened
I get a few minutes of full output, followed by several minutes of declining output.

For a pair of endcaps, I think it would work best to have them permanently installed, so I'd like to have the battery available to work with. My own are loose, and it was a pain getting the caps keyed properly. Maybe $5-10 or something?

If you want an EDCable HID, you'll probably need to go with one of the 10W dealies for about $300. I believe the runtime is usually about an hour or two. You could try a Vector Power-On-Board (a.k.a. Sam's Club HID) for about $50-100. They're 35W, 3200L, 6000K, 70min.

No, the EDC will be LED, and small!!!

This is for going deer hunting, wood cutting, fishing, things of that nature. I have 80 acres in the middle of nowhere!! And it gets dark out there!! Be nice to have something of a handheld nature that I can cary along and track a deer, or look for lost stuff in total darkness with a "mini-sun" in my hands!!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found something close to the Lion M300 - Streamlight SL-35x. 400 lumens, and I believe it from Streamlight more than Wolf-Eyes.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
never seen that 64633 lamp before, looks good, but the thing that concerns me is the 50 hour life.

May be good on 15V, but on a 14.4V pack it may not last long, if it doesnt flash instantly, especially if the pack is "hot". Still one to get any try out.

I'd look to use the 64623, with 14.4V or 15.6 gets better and would be 150W lamp at that voltage or a touch more. It flashes at ~17V

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, that has been bugging me for a while and I haven't been able to find an answer :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

Spypro

Enlightened
Looking at this thread make me want to build a new light ;)
I think I'll try the recipe mentioned by TigerhawkT3.
Is it the same "recipe" as the USL ?
I'm already impressed by my Mag85 with is 900-1000 lumens.. so I can't imagine the "wow" factor of ~4000 lumen.