Why an L1 over my Novatac?

Dr.K

Enlightened
That is the question that I have asked myself everyday for about a month now.
I thought I would make it public, and see whatcha thought.

I know all the physical differences, seen the beamshots, got the money for it. But, for some reason I just haven't done it yet.

Go ahead and convince me please.
I think I'm here strictly for motivational purposes.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'll bite, I have both.

I think the Nova is a more useful light, runs rechargables, 4 prgrammable modes, tough n small etc.

But, if you want someone to convince you to get the L1?

- The knurling and grip is amazing, far superior to the Nova (tho it may rip up your pockets).
- THe L1 throws better (at the the expense of spill).
- The L1 has a very simple resistor driven switch. I'm think it's a good battery drainer.
- The L1 has even better build quality. The massive tailcap threads and stainless steel contact ring are very nice.
- The L1 is a bit longer and fits my hand better than the Nova.
- THe L1 has a better clip.

Anyways, it's my first Surefire. I actually do like the Nova a lot and consider it a better EDC. But you said you wanted convincing...

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can, I'd suggest handling both lights before making a final decision. I handled a Novatac 120P for the first time today and it is tiny. The L1's extra length may be a benefit depending on the size of your hands. Gunga's list of pros is a good one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
- The knurling and grip is amazing, far superior to the Nova (tho it may rip up your pockets).

I'd just like to add that I normally wear my work pants when out & about. All three pairs are cheap, black, dress paints. Carried a few different Surefire models clipped to the left-front pocket for almost 2 years. No rips, nothing frayed.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
- The L1 has a very simple resistor driven switch. I'm think it's a good battery drainer.

Okay I just finished the three hour cut of Dune and it's 3 AM so my brain is numb, but wouldn't that count as disadvantage, since it's an inefficient way of produce low light level?

gunga

Flashaholic
You are correct, I think I was just implying it's nice n simple and requires less juice to start up.

I think (but can't confirm) that the L1 may be good for draining batteries till dry while the circuitry in the Nova requires more juice.

This is speculation only as I have not tested it.

That said, the Surefire is an awful lot of money for a resistor driven low mode.

But, the OP was asking to be convinced of all the positives of the L1 over the Nova.

I have to say, on paper, the Nova stomps the L1. It's only when you hold the L1 and use it for a bit that you appreciate it's fine qualities (and in case some silly person wants to flame about it, I have several Fenix's too and like them also).

My advice is the usual, buy both. If you only want to keep 1, someone on B/S/T would gladly take either of these off your hands.

:twothumbs

scottaw

Enlightened
Alright, i have both of these so here's MY list.

The Good:

I usually grab the 120 for around the house/work. It's smaller, dimmer on lowest, and as much as everyone hates the clip, it's really useful. (still not pretty though)

I usually grab the L1 when the weather turns nasty. It feels more solid to me, outhrows the 120, and has NEVER given me trouble.

The bad...

The 120 has tailcap issues, if the guts come loose, the light acts up, mine is tightened now, but it's in the back of my head.

When you clip an L1 in your pocket, the head sticks up enough to tear up your belt. and the clip is too small for belt use. I actually hate my L1 clip.

But all that said, i prefer my ML-1 smoothie over both, it's just a nicer beam with 2 good simple levels.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I guess it comes down to what you're looking for. If you want all those bells and whistles in a flashlight, the Novatac wins for sure. You also pay a penalty too. More crap to break and a higher lower voltage required to fire. The L1 is nice and simple, from a company that I believe will be around for a long time. You can't say that with Novatac. That line of flashlight has been through at least (3) owners that I'm aware of so far. Arc, then HDS, now Novatac. Who the hell knows who will be around to support it 6-months from now. I light both my Novatac and my L1, however if I could only keep one, it would be the L1. The L1 fits much nicer in my hand as well.

Numbers

Enlightened
Because everyone here loves the light, I am ordering mine tomorrow because I cant read any more favorable comments about it without owning one.

Last edited:

LG&M

Enlightened
I light both my Novatac and my L1, however if I could only keep one, it would be the L1. The L1 fits much nicer in my hand as well.[/quote]

Freudian slip :D

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I now have both the 120P as well as the L1-Cree and would say that the Novatac is still the winner. The issues with the Novatac mean that it can never fly solo - but I would never do that anyways.

The key feature for me is the low output possibilities of the Novatac. The L1-Cree low modes are a bit high, IMHO, for some tasks - night time runs to the throne and book reading. The beam pattern on the Novatac is more diffuse, I do keep a F04 handy but with the SF, I find I use it much more.

The L1 out throws the Novatac so for trail following it will be king but for general 'needs more light' situations, I prefer the Novatac. I also have a previous generation L1 with the 1 lumen or so low. A 3 stage L1 would be a real winner to me and I think would be my choice over the Novatac, until somebody comes up sith a 3 stage tail cap, the Novatac is my choice.

Take some DNA from the U2 ( selector ring ) down size it a bit and place it near the tailcap on a L1-Cree for multi-levels and we are there. Heck - even keep the twisty on the L1, my U2 always worries me when I use it that the tail cap switch is going to crap out. Would I call the clickie a fatal flaw on the U2 ? - no just a weakness that keeps me from fully counting on the U2. For reliability, to me, you can not beat a twistie but I do prefer a forward clickie, from a usage standpoint.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the question that I have asked myself everyday for about a month now.
I thought I would make it public, and see whatcha thought.

I know all the physical differences, seen the beamshots, got the money for it. But, for some reason I just haven't done it yet.

Go ahead and convince me please.
I think I'm here strictly for motivational purposes.

I had both a Novatac 85 P and a Surefire L1 Cree. i still have the SF. Here's why;

Better beam. The Novatac had a good beam, but the SF beam is more throwy and tightly defined. It's also whiter. Spill is great - just about THE perfect beam, imho.

Simpler. I may be an engineer who spent a long time programming real time data aquisition systems. But I had a heck of a time with the Novatac. Learning it wasn't all that hard once you got past the not very good manual, but REMEMBERING it when you wanted to make a change a month later and the manual is somewhere else, but not in front of you, sucked.

Simplicity. 2 levels on the L1, acceesible by simply changing pressure on the tailcap button or screwing down the tailcap. Nothing could be easier.

Workmanship and quality were a tossup, as was price. The L1 is bigger, which is a problem for some but not for me.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
I own both and I'll keep this brief. L1 because it's a Surefire. Don't know if I'll ever trust a any light as mich as I do a twisty Surefire.

Dr.K

Enlightened
Ladies and Gentleman, I am convinced I need an L1 just to merely satisfy my addiction if nothing else at all.

Thanks for the responses, but WTH keep um coming just for kicks and giggles.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I went back and forth with these two lights for about a months. I finally decided to go with the L1. This may sound silly but the superior pocket clip was really the deciding factor for me. After using it for a while now, there isn't anything that I really change about the L1. I'm completely satisfied with it.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 fits my hand better. I find the NovaTac too small to use comfortably, but this might not apply to you. I prefer the simple UI of the L1 to the UI of the NovaTac (not to say that the UI of the NovaTac is bad - far from it) and the feel of the L1's tailcap is a lot better than the NovaTac's, in my opinion.

Regards,
Tempest