Home for ROP LO bulb...

Beer

Enlightened
I have a problem, I have quite a few ROP bulb packs for my two ROP HO's.
What I want to know is what is a good host/ application for the ROP LO bulbs I'm currently not using?

:shrug:

mr.squatch

Enlightened
You can never have too many ROP's, that in mind, build a 2nd one for the low bubbs :) Plus that way you can have a choice when picking up flashlites to go on a mission. Long runtime, useable light or omg that's bright. :D

My low bubb rides in the tailcap in stock location. I have too many lights. haha

g

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The m@g 2C with two 18650's is a nice host. If you want to sell those low bulbs though, send me a PM.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I use them in a Mag 2C converted to 3 x cr123

Hi Poker,
I'm also planning on using this set up. (ROP lo in mag @C with 3 x cr123)
Is this a good set up in your experience? how long is the run time, and is this brigther than the 3xcr123 with kpr112 lamp?

Peter

Beer

Enlightened
Any non mag applications? I just figure if I'm going to run it in a Mag I may as well use the HO bulb.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Any non mag applications? I just figure if I'm going to run it in a Mag I may as well use the HO bulb.
Well, anything that takes a PR base really, but I can't think of anything smaller than a mag 2C to use it with. The advantage of the ROP lo vs hi in this application:

1. Ability to use cheap 18650 batts - protected ultrafire and trustfire 18650's can be had from DX and KD for $5 a pop or less. They are not as high quality as AW cells but, if you don't mind changing batteries every couple hours, then you can have 4 of those for less than 2 AW cells. They are thus more disposable and you would get more total runtime

2. Because of it's high current draw, the ROP Hi requires top-notch AW cells and has much lower runtime, thus the need to change batteries more often, thus the need for at least 4 AW 18650s (~$50) or AW "C" li-ions at $22 a pop.

3. ROP low bulb responds much better to glass etching in my personal experience. After etching the bulb and using in a SMO reflector, the ROP low produces a beautiful SF like beam. Not the best for super long throw, but it is great for applications out to 100m or so and Friggin Awesome for 10-20m applications where the ROP hi can be too much and wash out or leave spots in your vision if you're not careful where you shine it.

Out of all the lights I have, the 2C ROP lo gets the most frequent use just because of it's sheer practicality.

Hope that helps
-Pete

BSBG

Enlightened

Th elow is no slouch in terms of output and runs twice as long. 2 Li Ions (18650 or 'C') in a 2C host is a really nice glove box light :D.

Pokerstud

Enlightened
Hi Poker,
I'm also planning on using this set up. (ROP lo in mag @C with 3 x cr123)
Is this a good set up in your experience? how long is the run time, and is this brigther than the 3xcr123 with kpr112 lamp?

Peter

stitch,

This has been a very nice set up in my experience. I don't have any numbers for run time, all I know is it is at least an hour. The ROP LOLA, like its' big brother, have more of a spot beam than spill beam, even though still very useable. It is still brighter than the KPR112, or the 5 cell Magnun Star bulb. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 1.87A draw of the LOLA does not tax the cr123 cells either.

Another 3 x cr123 2C Mag I have uses the LOLA with a LDF lens, which is nothing but flood, it's amazing. This is a perfect light for wooded trail night walks, etc. Get then at Flashlightlens.com, 52.1mm

http://www.flashlightlens.com/item--UCL%AE-Lens--UCL_Lens.html

Enjoy and have fun :twothumbs

Bob

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
a pair of 18500s in a 2C is even easier, no tailcap mod required, just bend over the stock spring and install some pipe to fill it out.... in my experience 18650s really don't hardly fit, mine wouldn't even screw down, even with lots of material removed from the tailcap. The 18500s can safely drive the Low bulb with about 45 minutes runtime.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Thanks Pokerstud for that great info. I'll be doing that set up soon!

On another note, I have question for the 18650 user? Which cell works great for the ROP, the protected or unprotected? I think I've read somewhere that protected doesn't work well with ROP?

mdocod

Flashaholic
Almost any protected 18650 will light up the ROP low, but some will have issues on the high bulb. Personally I think the high would be better powered up by a pair of LiFeP04 18650s.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost any protected 18650 will light up the ROP low, but some will have issues on the high bulb. Personally I think the high would be better powered up by a pair of LiFeP04 18650s.

^^ what he said.

Talk to AW, he may have some protected 18650's which can fire up the ROP high without double clicking. I might be interested in a couple if they can do that. I haven't used them myself, all this time I've been using the unprotecteds to drive the ROP Hi.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened

^^^ Yep, AW 18650's will work on 1185 bulbs and should have no prob on ROP hi. Not sure if his 18500's will power up ROP hi on single click. I have some ultrafire and trustfire protected 18650's and they DO NOT power up ROP hi on single click but they have no prob with ROP low.

You do need to use a "Mag of the ring" setup or one of FM's old 18650 deep tailcaps (which he no longer sells) to fit the cells.

hope that helps
-pete

Latest posts