tactical back up light

machine

Newly Enlightened
It looks as if i will be getting into law inforcment , and im in need af a backup light .

from what ive seen , im kinda leanign towards the inova t4 .(i like the recharable idea ) . or t5 (probly t4 )

i want somthing that is brite and has decent batt life and is rechargable . is there anything else you guys recomend .

great site btw , ive trolled it for a few years ,(could have sworn i was reg already but oh well :))

im also thinking about a tigerlight as primary , but have really been lookignat the ae powerlight . just dont know how it would hold up after breakign a window ???? as well as start up time

thanks guys

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the peli 7060 I have both lights. the peli 7060 is 50% brighter than the t4 it has more throw and more sidespill. it also has a rear tactical switch as well as a side switch. it has a polymer plastic body that seems indestructable. the T4 on the other hand is built solid but utilizes old luxeon led technology. i believe the peli uses cree or similar based technology. you wont be sorry with the peli 7060 ( thats y the LAPD issued them to their officers). hope this helps TekGuy:welcome:

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
as far as the powerlight. i would not consider this a impact weapon IMHO. the body of the light is made of plastic and the HID bulb could break upon impact. as a leo you want a light that can be turned on in an instant not wait for 10 seconds for it to light up. If it was me i would want a light that is in the 200+- lumen range that is proven like (Streamlight, Maglight, Tigerlight). I would go for the tigerlight. r u gonna go for the OC option?

machine

Newly Enlightened
darn , ill have to come up with another excuse for gettign the powerlight lol .

tigerlight has always been to pon my list of lights to get .
is the 7060 small enough to have on the belt ? form what ive been reading tonight its the ont to have .

BigD64

Enlightened
It depends on where your working if your going to work in an urban setting you won't need a light that can throw 200 yards or more. If you are looking strictly for a back up light I'd stay away from anything rechargable. Go with a small light with quality Cr123's. If it's your backup it has to work. A spare set of 123's don't take up any space. I'd go with a Surefire 6P led or if you want something smaller Surefire L4. I love the Fenix T-1 but it's too new to be sure of reliability. I have been a police officer for 20 years and have carried Surefire's as backups for at least 15 years. Carried a Streamlight SL-20 as a primary. I only wish Malkoff dropins were around then.

machine

Newly Enlightened
well if i get on the force (will know in in a few weeks ) it is 2 small towns and a lot or rual stuff ,

rechargables on the unreliable side ?

Marduke

Flashaholic
rechargables on the unreliable side ?

The cheap chinese ones can be unreliable/overrated, but if you buy some quality ones (like AW's, sold in the MarketPlace), they just suffer from a slightly decreased runtime over primaries. But hey, they are rechargable and can be topped off every now and then.

I'm surprises someone hasn't mentioned the Fenix T1 as of yet. The stainless steel bezel could do some damage to glass if needed. Will run on CR123 primaries (which many LEO's get free from their department, might want to check with yours), RCR123's (AW's protected recommended), or 17870's. It has a good sized textured reflector, which gives it a good mix of throw, but large hotspot. There are a bunch of threads on it around here with beamshots and reviews, as it just started arriving a few days ago.

Also, if you hold back a bit of your budget, Inova is rumored to update their lights in Q1 of 2008, so a new, efficient emitter might be coming to lights like the T4 shortly.

BigD64

Enlightened
I have a Fenix T1 and have started to carry it at work. But I want to make sure it's reliable before I give it a full endorsment(so far so good for 2 days.):) Rechargeables are ok to use just make sure you have a couple of primaries in your pocket. I find that any rechargeable lights I use tend to dim just when I need them the most. If they sit for a while they can lose some charge.With a fresh pair of 123's you can't go wrong.