Modern (Q5, P5) flashlight for short distance

fisherman2

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

this is maybe a silly queston to you experts - however I'm novice and would appreciate your help! I did not found these information in the forum, also I' sure it is spread arround here.

Here we go.

I'm looking for a modern type (Q5?) led flashlight for short distances, 15 meters or so. The flashlight shall be optimized for this short distance, i.e. what I need is a very big spill, light shall be as much as possible uniformly. Need it for fishing purposes.

I would love at least 2 stages of brightness, low and high or so.

The smaller the better.

Also, easy handling is very important to me, that is it why I hesitate with the Fenix P1D CE Q5. I don't like the solution... although this FL seems to offer outstanding performance.

I'm also looking for outdoor beamshots.

What would you recommend?

Ah, important, the budget: <$100.

Thank you!
juergen

BigD64

Enlightened
Surefire G2 with a beam diffuser should do the trick. The G2 LED with a FM34 Beam Diffuser will come in under $100 and you will have the option for a more focued beam if you want it.

Happy Fishin,

SEMIJim

Enlightened
"Spill" refers to the amount of light that "spills" outside the designed focus area. "Lots of spill" I think isn't what you want. What you want is a light that's floody, as opposed to a thrower.

The floodiest small lights currently on the market I know of are the LumaPower LM31 and LM33 (previously the LM301 and LM303, respectively). Perhaps one of those would suit your needs? And if one of those still isn't floody enough for you, you can aways frost the lens for even more dispersion. (Albeit with some [?] loss of brightness.)

Jim

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love the spill on the fenix with textured reflector, either an L2d which i prefer as it uses common aa or the p3d which is a bit brighter but uses cr123 ....though i here great things with certain surefires as well ,but since i cant afford a surefire i have no experience with it

i know what your looking for ,check here for some info

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need an unfocused headlight --> zebralight

else a Fenix makes everything better than any other Flashlight You might find + is better made
... wonder why and how a Fenix could be no "good solution", but its not me who wants the light ...
:thinking:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for Zebralight. It's perfect for fishing and close up works. Very floody, bright if you need it, good medium level, and a very longlasting low level. Handsfree, you can use it as a headlamp, or clip it to the shirt, coat etc. And can also be use as a regular flashlight, plus it's supersmall and runs on regular AAs(and more). And I have started to realise that it's very rare that you actually need superbright. 10-15 lumens is better for close work than a scorching 100 lumens light.

fisherman2

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight is cool and if it had a clickie switch instead rotating tailcap (2 hands needed...) I would buy it. Is there a similar headlamp but with switch out there?

however I own already 3 headlamps:)

need a flashlihght too.

The LM301/03 seems to do what I want -I'll check them in more details and I'll check also the other hints.

Thank you all!
juergen