Nichia Takes White LEDs Up Another Notch

B

BrightDisplay

I hadn't seen anybody post this info that was posted on the Compound Semiconductor Online web site on March 7. ( http://www.compoundsemi.com/news/).

Nichia Takes White LEDs Up Another Notch

March 7, 2003...One of the most noted names in blue spectrum work is Nichia Corporation of Anan, Japan, which has just let it be known that they've developed a new white LED with a luminous efficacy of 60lm/W, and that the company has slated volume production of their newest entry for 2005. Source of the news is via Nikkei Electronics, in an article titled Nichia Develops White LED with Twice the Luminous Efficacy authored by Satoshi Okubo, Staff Editor. According to the report, the luminous efficacy reaches twice as high as that of Nichia's earlier products, which are just now making their presence known on the open market. The report notes that the new white, which combines Nichia's world class GaN blue LED with their YAG-phosphor materials, has "an external quantum efficiency of 34.9%" and notes that there are two major improvements made in this blue LED: "First, concavity/convexity is introduced in the interface of GaN materials that compose blue LEDs and sapphire substrates," and goes on to explain. Secondly, that "windows, which transmit light, are newly prepared, using metal materials in the electrodes of the blue LEDs," and the report again goes on to explain that in more detail. The article is another illuminating read from Nikkei and we appreciate them sharing it with us. Also of note at the close of the article are the links to excellent related news and analysis, most of which are in Japanese only. Of special note is their Technology Analysis titled "Blue LED Manufacturers Ready to Compete."

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Re: Nichia Takes White... (EverLED news also)

FYI - Link doesn't work. You have to click it, wait for the page to redirect you, then click on "daily news" up in the top left hand corner. Also interesting is that there is a blurb about the EverLED there too...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

60 lumens / watt? woo hoo! That means 300 lumens 5 watter! Taking into account heat losses and such, and halving the number of lumens, we still get 150 lumens, more than a normal 5 watt LS. And that's assuming less than optimal case. At best, with good heatsinking, I believe 200 lumens @ 5 watts are average. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened

Sounds too good to be true. 60lumens per watt that means a 10watt fixture will generate 600 lumens. regular lightbulbs will dissapear. Imagine a L1 that shoots 60lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened

Hi all,
I am a newbie, here is my first question (and more coming in the future). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At 60 lm/watt is it more efficient than HID?

Zinje

Newly Enlightened

2005 is a long time to wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

60 lumens/watt is more efficient than low power HIDs but not as efficient as high power HIDs. High power being over 50 watts or so

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Nerd said:
60 lumens/watt is more efficient than low power HIDs but not as efficient as high power HIDs. High power being over 50 watts or so

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool!! So this new Nichia leds will be perfect for headlights in cars and motorcycles, assuming they'll produce
at least a 10 watts/led version.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do we know that the 60lm/W figure is for high power LEDs? Isn't it possible that Nichia is achieving these efficiencies in LEDs that are still in the milliwatt range?

sodakar

Newly Enlightened

I'm with Ron on this one...

I'd be happy to buy a 5W LED that produces 300 lumens and stuff it in my E2e, but with Nichia, it would seem far more likely that these enhancements are for their mW LED's...

Still great news, though! Just imagining my Photon and Arc AAA shining twice as bright puts a smile on my face!