LED Worklight?

SEMIJim

Enlightened
It occurred to me, recently, that a battery-powered, LED worklight would be a handy thing to have on our boat--especially for working in the engine space, which is cramped and unlit. The ability to run off of a 12VDC cigarette lighter plug would be a plus.

My initial thought is that something that has a form-factor as close as possible to a "traditional" 120VAC incandescent worklight would be optimal.

Recommendations?

TIA,
Jim

Brody

Newly Enlightened
The CentraLED worklight is great! It produces a very even wall of light! Just make sure to be careful when attaching the light to a metal surface - those magnets are VERY strong!

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Yes, the CentraLED looks like a wonderful thing. But $100 for a worklight was just a bit more than I had in mind. And, by "bit," I mean "a lot."

Thanks for the suggestion, tho :)

Jim

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to GlowBug.com and look under work lights. They have several LED array lights that look like traditional trouble and work lights, and which recharge. All reasonably priced.

An array light is what you want. A point source is not a very good work light. So ignore the fact that it is an old school multi emitter light - sometimes those just work better.

My local Sams club has a rechargeable LED array work light, but it costs more and has fewer LEDs than the GlowBug ones.

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
You could also use a 27W fluorescent worklight (120VAC) plugged into a compact 12V 90W inverter. That would give you enough light while still being respectful of the power limitations you might have on a boat. Sears sells one of these with a 25' cord.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
I use a Streamlight 4AA LED and/or Pelican 2440 when I work on Sailboat engines - and they double as regular type boat lights when not working on the engine -

I take 1 or 2 of the above lights and prop them up so the light bounces around the engine - no real bright spot but a nice fuzzy wall of light.

I also have a regular flourscent worklight that operates on 120vac that I also use sometimes.

mb

ledaholic

Enlightened
I have a rechargable 60 LED light made by bayco that I use around the garage all the time. It doesn't make a very good area light but does make a good light for working under the hood.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
MikeLip,

Thanks for the GlowBug lead. It looks like one of two there is just what I'm looking for.

ledaholic,

I'll search on "bayco" and see what I can find. Thanks!

Scott,

Too much trouble :), but thanks anyway.

saildude,

I want the area illumination characteristic of a trouble light. But thanks anyway.

Jim

supes

Enlightened
Sears has the Craftsman brand with 35 LED and 60 LED worklights that look like the bayco and Terralux light. It has a plastic hook and comes with a small round magnet base to attach to a metal surface which is detachable. Comes with a wall charger and AC car adapter.

I got the 35 LED one on sale for $16 including tax. Overall not too bad.
-Rechargeable(built in NiMH battery pack)
-ample flood with a slightly concentrated large diameter hotspot
-around 2 hours full brightness then drops off with remaining light enough to navigate to put it in the charger again and retreive another light(probably around 1 more hour or so runtime.)

Only thing I don't like about it is, the reverse clicky switch is bloody stiff and hard to press. I can't do with it my pinky, only can with index or middle finger. I want to try out the 60 LED one, wonder if its going to be about double the brightness.

Another suggestion which I think would be a better option is the Zebralight H-50 Q5 bin(to me this is the min. for me) light. It is a pure flood(no reflector/optic) light that uses 1AA(best with NiMH rechargeables) and is small enough to clip to your shirt if you do not want to wear the headband. I always clip it to my pullover zipper area in front of my sterum. Barely notice it and puts out light directly in front of me. Its beautiful.