ATTENTION FENIX ENGINEERS!

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there

I was wondering: Does someone here REALLY use the SOS mode or the Strobe mode in Fenix Digital Lights ?? :whistle:

I have one L2D (and another models too...). I love it, but I think some of this modes are useless! For me, the perfect light just have a Low mode (to read a map or look closer objects) and a Turbo mode (to slay darkness!).

Ok... one Medium mode is good too, but I´ve never had to use the SOS or the Strobe mode.

In Fenix Store website they show the new L2T v.2, with just two modes: low and high! For me it´s just perfect! But I´ll not buy it because I already have the L2D, which is very similar.

And I know that sometimes the guys from Fenix take a peek here (like David). So I ask you guys: Don´t you all prefer just one LOW and one HIGH mode for the Fenix Lights ??

My dream is still a light powered by ONE Cr123 with just LOW and HIGH mode. Period!

What do you think about it ?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the strobe a few times. The SOS, ask me after I've been stranded in a remote location for a few days and used it to alert a search and rescue team, which will hopefully never happen. :)

These modes are usually out of the way for normal operation and don't bother me or get in the way.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
It can be really funny to have a bunch of Fenix Lights on SOS ;)
The strobe mode, too, is able to produce very interesting lighting effects, but I don't need them, whereas I consider the medium and high modes very useful. Most of the time I use Fenix Lights on turbo, however, it's pretty useful if you're able to select the brightness more precisely than just high and low.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I like having the strobe and SOS options.

Some people buy flashlights to put in emergency kits. Having an SOS and strobe makes sense even if it's not used everyday.

Stromberg

Enlightened

Well, one of the main reasons I bought L2T v2.0 instead of L2D was L2T's "lack" of unnecessary modes. I've been more than happy with only low and max modes. No wonder that L2T is my primary EDC/bikelight(with twofish lockblocks).

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I like having the strobe and SOS options.

Some people buy flashlights to put in emergency kits. Having an SOS and strobe makes sense even if it's not used everyday.

I agree, but till now I´ve never have to use this modes. I just use them for fun, specially the strobe.

And with the modes, I can´t use the light on a Morse Code exercise, unfortunately...

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, one of the main reasons I bought L2T v2.0 instead of L2D was L2T's "lack" of unnecessary modes. I've been more than happy with only low and max modes. No wonder that L2T is my primary EDC/bikelight(with twofish lockblocks).

Totally agree with you, Stromberg. But when I knew the L2T v.2, I´ve already bought my L2D...

But, that´s the point. :thumbsup:

Taboot

Enlightened
I kind of like all the modes on my P3DQ5. The SOS is least useful (so far) to me. I think it would be cool if there was a way to program the switch and modes in a light.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the L2D over the L2T v2.0 because it gives better options for alkaline batteries. I use NiMH, but I like to have the ability to use alkalines in an emergency and have regulation at a high lumen level.

Alkalines die a very quick, painful death when using the L2T v2.0's high and the L2D's turbo modes. The L2D also offers medium and high, which both regulate well on alkalines, and the high mode seems nearly as bright as turbo.

I don't use the SOS or strobe modes, but I need more than just low and turbo. The UI is set up so that, in use, SOS and strobe never get in the way, so I just forget they're there.

Last edited:

topcat39

Newly Enlightened
On an everyday basis, I won't be using the strobe ar SOS modes. However, in an emergency I can see using one or both modes. Since emergencies by definition are unexpected events, you never know when these modes become a life saver even though they were never used for years. Also, it is simple enough to cycle the light to avoid the strobe and SOS modes since they are the last two modes in the cycle.

A very common emergency use I can see doing is changing a flat tire, needing to change the tire too close to the flow of traffic because I can't get off the road or far enough off the road with traffic so close I can feel the wind blast, too many drivers are on their cell phone, text messaging, watching a DVD, reading (actually seen this several times on the interstate at 70mph :eek:), drowsy, etc. and they run off the road onto the side where I might be trying to change a tire that a Fenix light in strobe mode flashing at traffic could be a life saver.

There also several police videos showing a traffic stop when another driver runs off the road a bit hitting the policeman and others a glancing blow; or worse, slamming full on or nearly so into the police car sending the car into people, sometimes the car bursts into flames when the gas tank explodes :eeksign: !!

A CPF'er found a non-emergecy use for the strobe mode:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2248269

With a bit of imagination, I'm sure others will find other non-emergency ways to use the strobe and SOS modes :thinking: .

Federal LG: I can see your point to keep it simple stupid (KISS principle), but there are other valid reasons to have the strobe and SOS modes especially in a light Fenix expects owners to carry everyday or have in their car, or emergency kit at home, or backpacking (fall, get hurt and need to signal aircraft/searchers).

Also, in the Mods forum I'll bet someone has a mod so you customize the modes more to your liking.

YMMY
Cheers:thumbsup:

Last edited:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of the main reasons my only Fenix lights are a P1 and P1CE, I like simple interfaces with no unneeded extra features and one or at most two modes. I may consider an L2T or L1T down the road at some point, but for now, no thanks.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of the main reasons my only Fenix lights are a P1 and P1CE, I like simple interfaces with no unneeded extra features and one or at most two modes. I may consider an L2T or L1T down the road at some point, but for now, no thanks.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
On an everyday basis, I won't be using the strobe ar SOS modes. However, in an emergency I can see using one or both modes. Since emergencies by definition are unexpected events, you never know when these modes become a life saver even though they were never used for years. Also, it is simple enough to cycle the light to avoid the strobe and SOS modes since they are the last two modes in the cycle.

A very common emergency use I can see doing is changing a flat tire, needing to change the tire too close to the flow of traffic because I can't get off the road or far enough off the road with traffic so close I can feel the wind blast, too many drivers are on their cell phone, text messaging, watching a DVD, reading (actually seen this several times on the interstate at 70mph :eek:), drowsy, etc. and they run off the road onto the side where I might be trying to change a tire that a Fenix light in strobe mode flashing at traffic could be a life saver.

There also several police videos showing a traffic stop when another driver runs off the road a bit hitting the policeman and others a glancing blow; or worse, slamming full on or nearly so into the police car sending the car into people, sometimes the car bursts into flames when the gas tank explodes :eeksign: !!

A CPF'er found a non-emergecy use for the strobe mode:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2248269

With a bit of imagination, I'm sure others will find other non-emergency ways to use the strobe and SOS modes :thinking: .

Federal LG: I can see your point to keep it simple stupid (KISS principle), but there are other valid reasons to have the strobe and SOS modes especially in a light Fenix expects owners to carry everyday.

YMMY
Cheers:thumbsup:

Yeah. I think I am one of those "KISS principle" follower. I know that there are some situations where the SOS or Strobe modes are useful, but they are one in a thousand! I think I still prefer one light with just three modes: LOW (to read something, maps, texts, close to your eye) MEDIUM and HIGH!

I mean... Maybe the "all modes" lights should be an optional choice, and the most of them should have just simple modes... That´s just an opinion!

Greetings from Brasil! :wave:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Strobe mode. I have used my light many times and now that I am used to it I go straight to the mode I need and I never see strobe or SOS mode. So when you are using the light and not playing around, it is like those extra modes don't even exist.

Personally as the lights get brighter and brighter, I think we need a lower low then what we currently have. In fact it might make sense to have to have four brightness modes like we do on the lights with turbo modes. And I also like how the L0D comes on in medium mode as that does seem like the most commonly used mode.

I really don't understand why people don't like the strobe and SOS modes? Do you keep turning on the light and passing up the mode you really need? Do you often need to go from high to low, or high to medium, or what? (Please, no offense meant, just wondering what the usage mode is that this would cause problems with.)

I could do without SOS, as I could always use strobe to signal for help. I mean after all who is going to look at my blinking light and say "let see, that is a S, ok now we have a O, and now a T. Oh, I guess that guy stuck on the side of the cliff doesn't need help."

ggg300

Newly Enlightened
As a bike light, the SOS/strobe are good things...you want to have drivers see you and there is a lot of competing light...

(also note that the bike market is big enough for Fenix to come out with a new bike mount in the last month :sssh:)

Bearcat

Enlightened
Personally as the lights get brighter and brighter, I think we need a lower low then what we currently have.

Originally, the LOD SE was 12 - 4.5 - 30 lumens, then when the Cree Q4 rolled around the light output more than doubled with the same run-times, thus no more "low low". It is easier and cheaper to change a "LED" than to change circuitry. Having a considerable cost hike every-time there is a new LED upgrade has increased profits nicely with very little effort on the part of the manufacturer.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there

I was wondering: Does someone here REALLY use the SOS mode or the Strobe mode in Fenix Digital Lights ?? :whistle:

I have one L2D (and another models too...). I love it, but I think some of this modes are useless! For me, the perfect light just have a Low mode (to read a map or look closer objects) and a Turbo mode (to slay darkness!).

Ok... one Medium mode is good too, but I´ve never had to use the SOS or the Strobe mode.

In Fenix Store website they show the new L2T v.2, with just two modes: low and high! For me it´s just perfect! But I´ll not buy it because I already have the L2D, which is very similar.

And I know that sometimes the guys from Fenix take a peek here (like David). So I ask you guys: Don´t you all prefer just one LOW and one HIGH mode for the Fenix Lights ??

My dream is still a light powered by ONE Cr123 with just LOW and HIGH mode. Period!

I totally agree with this post!! I hate everything about the Fenix Digital Series, from the reverse clickies to the useless SOS and the Mall Commando's Strobe. Federal LG, if you ara KISS nut like myself, then you will LOVE the SureFire L1 Cree!

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I totally agree with this post!! I hate everything about the Fenix Digital Series, from the reverse clickies to the useless SOS and the Mall Commando's Strobe. Federal LG, if you ara KISS nut like myself, then you will LOVE the SureFire L1 Cree!
can't you simply use a L2T V 2.0 with a P2D body?
it would still have a reverse clickie, but only high and low

Zenster

Enlightened
As long as the Fenix engineers are monitoring this thread... :rolleyes:

I for one very much like the Strobe feature. As was said, I can easily imagine it being a life saver (literally) when changing a tire on the side of a highway at night. Been there, done that, too many times.
The strobe place on the roof drip rail aimed down the shoulder behind your car (NOT directly into oncoming traffic) would be an invaluable alert light.

The SOS mode, while I can imagine some scenarios it might also be a life saver, is not one that would be used during the lifetime of most Fenix lights.

However, and here's my one big point, it would have been great to have the Strobe and the SOS together on one mode, and the low/med/high/turbo together on the other mode. That way you could totally ignore the "emergency" features until you need them, and when you do, they'd be there waiting for you at the twist of the bezel.
That, together with a memory feature with the light turning on in the brightness and mode it was last turned off with, would make my L2D-CD/Q5 so perfect that I would be tempted to buy a box of 'em. :huh: