Get rid of my Surefire A2 Aviator for a Surefire L1 Cree? Ok,ok I'll keep it :)

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have been reading a lot on the new Surefire L1 Cree and like specs. I used to own the L1 TIR version (Gen 2?), but sold it to a friend as I did not like the square beam. Now I am tempted to get this new L1, but I would have to sell my A2 to offset the cost.

The question is, should I? Is there anyone out there that owns both models, and could give me a quick real world comparison between the two? Can I get the same output from the L1 as the A2, but with just one battery? Is there anything that the A2 does better than the L1, and vice versa?

I have tried searching for a comparison thread, but the search keeps crashing on me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Re: Get rid of my Surefire A2 Aviator for a Surefire L1 Cree?

I reccomend keeping the A2, yes the Cree L1 is a great light, no arguments there, but the A2 has a lot going for it too;

*REGULATED* incandescent, that wonderfully white incan beam does not yellow shift at all, and said beam is *not* "50" lumens, it's been metered here in an integrating sphere at actually closer to 75-80 lumens, and it has a reasonably throwy beam

the LED's are very power efficient (20 hour runtime), and more importantly, cast a nice, floody beam, remember that, with the A2 you get both flood and throw, the LEDs are better used for flood, the incan is better for throw, two different beam profiles in one light, with no need to "focus"

the L1, OTOH, has the *SAME* beam profile (throwy spot with spill) on both high and low, to truly widen out the beam, you need a F04 Beamshaper, yes the Cree head has a better beam profile than the older LuxIII head, but it still leans to the throwier side

It depends on what kind of light *YOU* need, what fits my needs may not fit yours, and vice versa

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a couple A2's and a Cree L1. Which light is best for you has a lot to do with your usage and preferences. The L1 is smaller, doesn't have a filament to burn out or break, and as you mentioned, uses only one cell.

The A2, OTOH, is a regulated incan (one of the few) meaning longer bulb life than non-regulated incans, has better color rendition when using the incan (even though the L1 Cree's by and large have a warmer tint, thus better color rendition).

Both lights are tough and reliable. Which one is best is up to you.

Brozneo

Enlightened

Depends on what your using it for - L1 doesn't have a floody low beam like the A2, and IMO the A2 throws further than the L1 but for runtime on high the L1 wins.... Also you can get the L1 modded later on if you want... Not so much to Mod with the A2

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the info, I think I will end up keeping the A2 then. I wasn't sure about the throw differences between the two. I really did not like the tight TIR beam of the L1 that I had before, and I do not want to have to use beam shapers.

Generally, I use it for hiking in the woods.

Thanks again.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

What I really like about the A2 is, well, everything!!! Regulated, bright WHITE incan that has great throw/flood with reasonableas well as the 5mm white led's that give a lot of very floody light with great runtime(and more led options with an Aviatrix:) ). There is no other light that I know of that has ALL of those qualities. The L1 is very good in it's own right. The main reason I like my A2 over my L1 is the completely different beam charachteristics of both sources. The L1's weakness (as with many other LED based lights except the Kroma) is that the overall beam charachteristics are the same, just different brightnesses. In no way am I saying the L1 is not worth getting, just that it really depends on what you like. I like them both, but I tend to like the A2 a bit more and it is one of my main EDC lights. Also, as a last note, I believe the A2 is THE light for camping, hiking, etc... The wide flood LED's are plenty for night use and that 80 lumen penetrating, bright white beam is just a firm push away.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Although the new L1-Cree is a great light, I'm not so sure I'd kick my A2 to the side for it. Both lights are great, in their own way. My suggestion is to keep the A2 and save for the L1. If you really want the L1 now and need to unload the A2 to fund the purchase, asked yourself what you "really" want the light for. What tasks will it perform? Is the 1x123 more important? Is it the smaller size? Do you need pure color rendering that only the A2 will provide? ETC.......

greenLED

Flashaholic

I have 2 A2's and 3 L1's (2 Crees, 1 Lux) - it's a tight call. I gotta reiterate the question: what do you want the light for?

This will sound like sacrilege but, in my case, I prefer the L1 over the A2. It's smaller, uses 1 battery, has 2 levels, long runtime, and no LA to blow when you least expect it. The new Cree L1's beam is such that it throws decently for my needs.

Maybe if you a bit more specialized uses (hunting, pilot, etc.) you'd benefit from the colored "low" mode on the A2. I have a WH and a Y/G A2, and I actually like the Y/G a little better than the white in terms of low light preservation (and I'm not even a pilot).

Yeah, tight call.

Last edited:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened

It depends on what you like in a light. I own the A2, and had the L1 but sold it last week!

I bought the A2 long before I bought the new L1, the specs are about the same, the L1 got more than 65lumen, and the A2 got more than 50 lumen as been said before. Both have two modes, with simular specs. The A2 is regulated incan, this is very nice if you like incan lights, I do, Ive learaned to appreciate incan beam over led since I bought a couple of bluish leds...
The L1 dosent have alot of spillbeam, which I really like, I dont want to swing my light around when using it, but I dont want it to be to floody either, a normal light is just fine for most cases, with the L1 you really miss that spillbeam your use to. The loss of spillbeam on high is ok, but on low I want floody beam since thats for up close use. The L1 can use the F04 beamdiffuser and get that floody beam on both high and low, but with the A2 you dont have to bring a filter.

Yes the L1 have very simular specs with just one battery, and the led wont burn out on you, but atleast I dont use my light that much so I have to worry about changing the buld to often.Better to support a light you really like with batterys and bulbs, than owning a couple of lights that you might not use anyway. Thats why I sold my L1.

I just had to try the new L1 out, but it wasnt anything for me, I lost a couple of bucks on it when I sold it, but I guess it had to be done to find the perfect light... :)

Feels like Im reapeting what others alreday have said... :)
But this is my two pesos! :)

IcantC

Enlightened

I do not have the L1, but was debating buying one. I have an A2, and like the floody low and the Incan. I will use my light in the car when I do not want to be seen and to read. It will not burn the retinas. I also use it to navigate dark areas without filling the area with light. I do not think the L1 can do so.

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the info, decision made, I will keep the A2. It has been my favourite light for a while now, actually, ever since I bought it. I generally use it outdoors, hiking, etc. I do like the low on it for reading maps, etc. - I just wish the high was a little higher.

FlashSpyJ, it sounds like you just went through what I was debating. :)

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, decision made, I will keep the A2. It has been my favourite light for a while now, actually, ever since I bought it. I generally use it outdoors, hiking, etc. I do like the low on it for reading maps, etc. - I just wish the high was a little higher.

I think that's a good decision. I used to have 2 A2s, but only got rid of the blue LED one. I think a lot of people are waiting for the day when/if Lumens Factory will make a brighter bulb for the A2. But overall, this is an amazing light that's been nearly unchanged since it first came out a few years ago. Quite the achievement considering most things become obsolete within a year or so (ie. computers, iPods, etc.) and have to be updated.

That said, I only have 3 incandescent lights left...my A2 and M6's. Everything else has gone LED.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the past few months I've been using both near every day and as of this
posting, the L1 is in the lead. Here are a few reasons why.

- The A2 creates a mountain of partially depleted cells that are still useable
in other lights but just won't spark the A2's incan.
- The A2's 2-stage tailcap seems to more often become a multi-stage tailcap
as the batteries drain, all my current A2's do this.

- The L1-cree has longer runtime, is considerably more compact, runs on a
single cell, has two well engineered output levels, and with the addition of an
F04, is a light to be reckoned with!

Haven't sold all my A2's yet, but they have become fewer in number.

And this afternoon I ordered 2 more L1-crees.

BSBG

Enlightened

I have had A2s for a while, and just got an L1 Cree. I am underwhelmed with the L1 - the beam pattern mostly. It is a lens focused spot with only slight spill - not the most useful IMO. i just ordered another A2, red LEDs this time. I like the floody LED pattern and the incan is there if you need more punch. The L1 on high does not seem as bright as the A2 incan to me.

scottaw

Enlightened

HUGE fan of the L1, only thing you may want to watch it that you said reading with the A2 low, L1 low may be a bit much for reading. Other than that, the light is amazing, low is a perfect outside light level, the tir isn't as tight as the older ones, and high is just amazing.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened

kinda... I hade the A2 to start with and was appealed to the L1, it just wasnt for me.
I think your making a wise desicion keeping the A2! :thumbsup:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England

Okay, silly question here, is the beam pattern from the L1 similar to the beam pattern from the E2L Cree?

if so, it's not a bad beam pattern, however it leans more solidly to the "throwy" side, for my purposes, flood is better for general use, I've actually taken to using my F04 on the E2L Cree just to soften/widen the beam out

for me, for indoor use, LED reigns supreme, but outside, nothing tops a nice, powerful incan, be it the A2, a G3 W/P91, or a MagCharger, outdoors, incan dominates, at least for my purposes

so, I find the versatility of my Aviatrixed A2 unmatched, I've been through many different EDC combos, but the A2 is a permanent fixture, I don't see that changing anytime soon, if ever

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
With the possibility of Lumens Factory offering a replacement high output bulb, I think the A2 will be perfect for my needs. Definitely going to keep it now!

Zenster

Enlightened
I think I'm bucking the trend by thinking I'd like to get an L1 to replace my A2.

Sure, the A2 does what it does nicely, but I think the L1, along with the three filters F04 (diffuser), F05 (red) and F06 (blue), actually offers more utility than the A2 can, and in a smaller light at that. (The F06 is for the wife so she can find dog pee on the carpet when necessary :mad:, the F05 goes into my flight bag, and the F04 to give a more floody beam on a whim).

Stuffing a couple of filters in a pocket or flightbag is just not that big of an inconvenience. I also like a lot of what's been said about the new model L1, and maybe some people here are thinking of the older model when comparing: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/181699

I guess, as is often said, that one's personal use has a lot more to do with making a choice than does the light itself. I'm also guessing that that's why Surefire makes so damn many models. :twothumbs

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may order a L1 Cree again. I miss it. The only thing is I don't like that I can't use my batterystation 3.6V 900mah RCRs. in it or so I've heard. I may order one right now...