Fulton Military Anglehead... LED!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was kinda taken back today...while walking through the exchange, I saw a Fulton MX-991/U Military Angle-head flashlight...packaged by Fulton...for the military...with an LED...even had an actual NSN...It looks like the first LED flashlight officially made for the military!!! I was tempted to get it, but failed :eek:( The exchange had it for $20 and I saw it on a website for $58...not sure if they're the same thing or not...the packaging didn't have any useful specs (as is typical for mil. issue.)

Since their are no specs, I was wondering if anybody had already gotten one? And maybe give a feedback? 1-Watt or 3-Watt? I know it meets the same spec's as the ancient krypton version...has all the filters/waterproof/etc. If somebody doesn't get one soon, I'll have to break down and grab it...and then give a review...it could be better than one w/ a craftsman LED upgrade?

dw51

Enlightened
Re: HOT!!! Fulton Military Anglehead...now W/ LED!!!

:popcorn: Go get it. I want a review!

Burgess

Flashaholic

Gee, i'd sure like to hear more about this.

Awaiting your next installment. :whistle:

Oh, and good detective work !

:thumbsup:
_

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been using one of these for awhile now. It works great. Long running and not too much light. Put the clear diffuser on the head and you get a nice broad beam for close up work.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I may be an idiot, but a hundred years ago when I was in the military and was issued angled lights I asked myself, why the angle? To this day I cannot imagine any benefit other than the ability to reach into tighter spaces (for which big lights are totally unsuited anyway). What benefits are there to offset the disadvantage of the unnatural aim?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

sounds like....
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180376

interesting though, go get it if you have the spare $58..i want to see this too..any websites have it? link?

I may be an idiot, but a hundred years ago when I was in the military and was issued angled lights I asked myself, why the angle? To this day I cannot imagine any benefit other than the ability to reach into tighter spaces (for which big lights are totally unsuited anyway). What benefits are there to offset the disadvantage of the unnatural aim?
its so that you can clip it to the strap of your backpack, the part thats on the part of your shoulder thats faces foward. you know what i mean......

and its also cos if you need a light, more often then not, you need it pointing straight, and with the angle you can point it at whatever youre doing, and it isnt lighting up just a whole bunch of floor in that nice lightsaber looking pattern.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can set it on a level surface and it'll shine straight out without being too close to the ground (over grass and lower obstacles) . The big advantage is that when you hook it to your gear it's usable without having to remove it from your gear. I agree that the D size is pretty big and heavy.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elektro Lumens Anglelux

Elektro Lumens Tri Angleux

anglelux1ssc007smalltf0.jpg

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

MUST HAVE ONE Fulton MX-991............. Umm I mean these could be interesting, yea that's it.
:popcorn: For link, photo, or data sheet with runtimes and lumen info.
I want the Electrolumens one as well! I don't make enough money............

Last edited:

frisco

Enlightened

The new Energizer Swivel head Hard Case is pretty nice..... $35

frisco

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only thought this would be worth mentioning, merely because of the mil-spec's...for Fulton to put an LED into a flashlight, and have the military accept it, it would have to stand up to alot...drop-test's/temperature ranges/intinsically safe, etc.. So while it may not be as bright as a Cree or Seoul, it has to stand up to some pretty rigourous test's for the military to accept it! (and has to be American made). These are some commercial upgrades, but I was wondering what kind of LED Fulton was packing in that puppy? I checked there web-site and found nothing mentioned...the search continues...or maybe I'll just have to get it?

Here's the link to the commercial version...don't know if these are the same the mil-spec ones or not...maybe I should E-Mail Fulton?

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/pl-fl-fulton.html

Burgess

Flashaholic

Hey !

Simply follow that link listed above.

Then, click on the "LED Bulbs" section.

Tells about the (New?) LED bulbs, which are

Made in USA !

Read the whole story there.

And to Angelofwar, once again, Good Work !

:thumbsup:

(edited to add)

Oops !

Perhaps the Epieon LED bulb is not something Brand New, eh ?

I now see that John2551 has it listed in his (very comprehensive) listing of LED bulbs with PR-base.

_

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened

MUST HAVE ONE Fulton MX-991............. Umm I mean these could be interesting, yea that's it.
:popcorn: For link, photo, or data sheet with runtimes and lumen info.
I want the Electrolumens one as well! I don't make enough money............

I'd save up for the Elektrolumens. I bought a 1W from Wayne a few years ago and its still one of the best lights I own. I can only imagine how much brighter the new ones are.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

it angled at a 45 so when it's clipped to your packstrap or webgear, it points forward.

EDIT:
that should be 90 deg., obviously. too early; too little sleep! amazing what an additional 90min of sleep can do for one's thought processes!!

Last edited:

Dutchman

Newly Enlightened

:rolleyes:
Hello,

I am using the pentagonlight Molle light as my EDC

Small, 1 AA battery, light different color filters available.

Very good:twothumbs

Kees

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I reworked one here but it's due for a SSC upgrade I think. :D IIRC the 90 degree idea is for mounting on your gear and still have it pointed forward.

-LT

jay_imok

Newly Enlightened

.....its so that you can clip it to the strap of your backpack....if you need a light, more often then not, you need it pointing straight, and with the angle you can point it at whatever youre doing...

my cousin brought me back one of these units (unmodified!) from the Marines about 45 years ago. i was fascinated with the interchangeable lenses & spare bulb in the tailpiece (i was 9).

he explained to me the white filter & angle design was used under a map at night so you could see where you were going. seems plausible to me

Vinniec5

Enlightened

Just ordered one in ACU/LED model. Haven't had one of these in years. Can't wait to see if the LED is worth it