New Coleman Products

tron1974

Newly Enlightened
I searched the forums and didn't see this posted. I did a search on "Cree" on the Coleman site and found a few press releases.
FACT SHEET - LED Flashlights
Coleman combines significant advances in LED technology and battery technology with its own patent-pending design to produce two bright new flashlights. In addition, the versatile beamed LED lights can be simply converted to a lantern that provides area lighting by attaching a collapsible, reflector device. The collapsible lantern attachment is sold separately or as a combo. Available early 2008.

Exponent 1 CR123A Lithium Flashlight
Cree XLamp® XR-E LED – 105 lumens* of light on high
Five 3mm red LEDs
Operates on one CR123A lithium battery, included
Weight – 2.8 ounces (with battery)
Illuminates – 6 hours on low, 1.5 hours on high
Milled aluminum body. Weather resistant
Patent-pending tail cap for easy attachment to lanyard or key ring
Tail cap also has "smart" switch for Off/MomentaryOn/Low/High/Strobe
Selector dial to change light color; also electronic lock
MSRP: $59.99

Exponent 2 CR123A Lithium Flashlight (same features as above)
Cree XLamp® XR-E LED – 155 lumens* on high
Operates on two CR123A lithium batteries, included
Weight – 4 ounces (with batteries)
MSRP: $69.99

Exponent Collapsible Lantern
Attaches to Exponent CR123A Lithium Flashlights to create lantern lighting effect
Weighs only 1.2 ounces
Conical reflector diffuses and distributes LED beam to provide flood light, area light
MSRP: $9.99

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/newsrelease.asp?releasenum=398

FACT SHEET - Bike/Pack Light
Coleman introduces a multipurpose LED light that can be easily fastened or clipped on a bicycle, a belt or a backpack for adding visibility and illumination to increase safety for hikers and bikers. The lightweight but bright unit has a high or brightest setting that produces 75 lumens* of light, plus a low setting, and an emergency blinking strobe setting.
Bike_Light_4347-717_thumb.jpg

Cree XLamp® XR-E LED – 75 lumens* of light on high

Three 5MM LEDs for low setting
Metal clip for easy attachment to backpack, belt or bike
Four-position switch: Off/High/Low/Emergency Strobe
Weather resistant
Operates on three AAA batteries, included
6 ounces (172g) without bracket
Illuminates 20 hours on low, 5 hours on high
MSRP: $34.99
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/newsrelease.asp?releasenum=397

FACT SHEET - 3AAA LED Multi-Color Flashlight
Lightweight yet multi-functional, this small LED flashlight is designed for years of service in pursuit of great outdoors activities. Weighing in at only three-tenths of a pound, yes just 4.8 ounces, this little light uses the latest in LED technology to product 65 lumens* of light. A simple twist
of the front housing switches color options from the bright white light for general purposes, to a red light for enhanced night vision, to blue for map reading or following a blood trail.
3AAA_Multi_2000000519_thumb.jpg

Cree XLamp® XR-C LED – 65 lumens*

Rugged but lightweight anodized aluminum body
Run times: 6 useful hours on white, 50 hours on red, 50 hours on blue
Operates on three AAA batteries, included
Weight: 4.8 ounces (with batteries)
Weather-resistant
Rotating bezel changes light color
White light for general purposes
Red for enhanced night vision
Blue for blood trails
MSRP: $29.99
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/newsrelease.asp?releasenum=406

Last edited:

uh1c

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this pointer; nice to see Cree's becoming much more common. I was impressed with their honesty too: The asterisks in the data sheets are footnoted as: "*This is the rated lumen output from the light source as measured from the manufacturer, actual lumen output may vary. These numbers are only applicable to the LED when junction temperature is measured at 25 degrees C. It does not include the thermal loss, driver loss and secondary optics loss that will occur in the system." Seems pretty good "expose'" of the lumen ratings game. Am I correct in using the 2/3 reduction in claimed lumens to calculate actual otf lumens?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links! I'll definitely buy the Exponent 1 Cell light! Looks pretty cool. I'm also still waiting for the 4AA Exponent headlamp to come out!
I have to say that Coleman might be out doing nearly all U.S flashlight companies with these new lights.

daveman

Enlightened
Am I correct in using the 2/3 reduction in claimed lumens to calculate actual otf lumens?
That number would be incorrect for LED lights. Two-thirds would be appropriate for incans, while 75%~85% should be used to calculate out the front lumens for LED lights.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'm happy to see this announcement dated August 2007, I must point out that it is vaporware until the products actually ship. Still waiting on the CR2 Cree headlamp to become available.

It all sounds pretty good, with the exception of 3xAAA in the headlamp. I'd really like an explanation as to why so many headlamps use this when there is so much more potential in 2AAs or 2 CR123's. Leave 3xAAA for the cheap DX lights.

The exponent 1 and 2 CR123's look great, especially with 3 Red 5mm Leds.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Tell me nobody is seriously looking forward to this? Traditionally cheapy lights that are $60-$70? There's a lot of better options out there for less than that.

awberke

Newly Enlightened
i'm not sure its fair to call them cheapy if they aren't even available yet.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Exponent 1 CR123A Lithium Flashlight
Cree XLamp® XR-E LED – 105 lumens* of light on high
Five 3mm red LEDs
Operates on one CR123A lithium battery, included
Weight – 2.8 ounces (with battery)
Milled aluminum body. Weather resistant
Patent-pending tail cap for easy attachment to lanyard or key ring
Tail cap also has "smart" switch for Off/MomentaryOn/Low/High/Strobe
Selector dial to change light color; also electronic lock
MSRP: $59.99

I'm excited about this one. Red 5mm LEDs + a Cree + some kind of selector switch in a 1CR123A light. Might be a little big but it has piqued my interest.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell me nobody is seriously looking forward to this? Traditionally cheapy lights that are $60-$70? There's a lot of better options out there for less than that.

Traditionally Coleman has been cheapie junk, but times are changing. They're marketing toward a new crowd with their exponent line. The guy in charge of Coleman's lighting is a fellow CPFer. I believe, after some thought, these are the 2008 line of items he was talking about in another thread. I can't complain yet when I haven't played with the new toys; especially when Coleman is the first company to get a Cree on the shelves at REI.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Traditionally Coleman has been cheapie junk, but times are changing. They're marketing toward a new crowd with their exponent line. The guy in charge of Coleman's lighting is a fellow CPFer. I believe, after some thought, these are the 2008 line of items he was talking about in another thread. I can't complain yet when I haven't played with the new toys; especially when Coleman is the first company to get a Cree on the shelves at REI.

That'd be cool. Perhaps they'll have two separate markets; high end and low end.

Blacklight

Enlightened
That'd be cool. Perhaps they'll have two separate markets; high end and low end.

That is exactly what we are doing. The products listed above are available around Jan 15 direct from Coleman (don't forget the friends and family discount). Most retailers wont reset until Mid March or later os may be slightly later on retailer shelves. This time of year is so hectic so my apologies if I am slow responding, feel free to PM me with questions, but it may take a couple weeks to respond (sorry).

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will that CR2 Cree headlamp finally be available mid January? It drives me nuts when it is on the Coleman store website but isn't available for sale. Thanks for the update Backlight.

GreySave

Enlightened
Blacklight:

I have to say.....I had sworn off buying any more lights as I truly have all that I need at this time, especially since upgrading a couple of SureFires with Leef 18650 bodies. But these single and dual powered 123A lights really sound slick and have caught my attention. I am especially fond of the "lantern / flood" attachment. I think I may just take the plunge on these.

Will the beam pattern be reflector or optic based? I'm guessing reflector by the price. Last questiion for when you have some spare time.....Will they be weather resistant?