Surefire G3L available soon!

WDR65

Enlightened
It also appears to use the P60L module......or at least the output is the same at 80 lumens. I've already made one of these using my G3 with regular nitrolen head and while its alright, I would rather have a higher output LED drop in for the extra length.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If it's the same drop in from the G2L I think I'll skip it for now. I made a 6PDL with detonator 1 cell extender a GITD switch cover and the P60L module. Not super bright but LONG runtime on 3 primaries! Great light.
IMG_1416.jpg

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire G3L - color me confused.

according to BatteryJunction webpages:

G2L = 80 lumens for 12hrs on 2xCR123A

G3L = 80 lumens for 9.42h (5.8h tactical-level light) on 3xCR123A

what's the extra cell doing? my guess is that the light is really brighter than the G2L, but that's just a guess on my part. does anyone know the real answer?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I know the real answer, it's a misprint. It is no brighter just has a longer runtime on 3 cells, just under 7:30 to noticeable dimming with mine on 3 primaries. No brighter.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the real answer, it's a misprint. It is no brighter just has a longer runtime on 3 cells, just under 7:30 to noticeable dimming with mine on 3 primaries. No brighter.

many thanks for the swift reply. makes sense, since heat xfr was the issue with the G2L anyways and therefore it stands to reason that the G3L would suffer from the same thermal issues so increased brightness as i first guessed would clearly not be the reason.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I would like a nitrolon body that could take two 18500's. It would make a nice wintertime light with a P90 or HO9.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I used a G3 with P90 and 2x17500 as my bike last last sason - loved it. I also have been messing with my P60L in a few different setups and the G3L may be my second favorite. The runtime and extra output in the 9P with 2x17500 is my favorite.

dmz

Enlightened
3 cell lights are harder to edc due to the length. How much more runtime vs. carrying extra batteries for a G2L? I'd go with G2L.

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
The output of the G3L is the same as the G2L, while the runtime is much greater for the G3L. The way the advertised runtime differs slightly between the 2 lights. For the G3L, the runtime that is mentioned is the regulated full brightness, while for the G2L the runtime that is advertised is the total time the light will be on. I think output is the same since both use same module that is regulated.

It would be nice for SureFire to release a LED that had a lower runtime but with much higher output. But for now I guess I will stay with their incans, since they are as good as they will get.:twothumbs

flash_bang

Enlightened
the G3L has 7 ish hours of tactical level light(60Lu+) and the G2L has around 3-4 hours of tactical level light(60Lu+).

HAGO,
Flash

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire G3L - color me confused.

according to BatteryJunction webpages:

G2L = 80 lumens for 12hrs on 2xCR123A

G3L = 80 lumens for 9.42h (5.8h tactical-level light) on 3xCR123A

what's the extra cell doing? my guess is that the light is really brighter than the G2L, but that's just a guess on my part. does anyone know the real answer?

Our data is straight off of the SF website so clearly the way in which they were measured is different. I would expect a G3L to have about 50% more runtime and approximately the same output as a G2L.

dmz

Enlightened
It looks difficult to twist on such a long flashlight with one hand. Any one try a clicky switch on a G3 or G3L?

dmz

Enlightened
The extra runtime would be good for long hikes instead of for edc. If I bought a G3, what is the best drop in for continuous use? I'm looking for drop in that's brighter than a SF P60L but also will not overheat the led since the body is nitrolon.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M60LL or Malkoff M60L. For hiking/ camping the M60LL (w/ SF G3) should give you all the light you need and GREAT run time. My.02 FWIW