G3 LED. Did anyone see this one?

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Did any one see this new light?
I was doing some searching online and found it lapolicegear...
policestuff_1979_19847633

[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Max Output: 80 lumens
Runtime:
Tactial-level: 5.8 hours
Down to 1 lumen: 9.4 hours
Bezel diameter: 1.25 inches
Length: 6.5 inches
Weight (w/batteries): 5.5 ounces
Tailcap Switch: Push for momentary-on, twist for constant-on; lockout tailcap
Material: Nitrolon® polymer, aerospace-grade aluminum,
Lexan® window
Finish: Matte
Color: Black
Batteries: Three 123 lithiums

[/FONT]
$89 - Not bad...I thought regular G3s came with a Pyrex lens, this one says Lexan?

rtt

Enlightened
It has been confirmed that the revised G2L with the alum head has lexan lens. Seems like the same head is being used on the G3L. I assume that the led drop in is the same for the 6PL, G2L and G3L, which would mean that the led drop in can handle 9V.

Tiny86

Newly Enlightened
Livermore, In the people's republic of CA
I just saw this also. Honestly, I'm really disappointed that it's only 80 lumens.:banghead: I would guess that it is the same LED as the 6PL and G2L. I would think that since it has three cells they would ramp up the output. Maybe SF doesn't have a brighter LED in that style yet.

kavvika

Enlightened
2008 is going to be a great year! Here's what I'm thinking: E2D bezel+9P body+2 AW 17500's+Z49 tailcap+Malkoff/BOG Cree module.:rock:Starting with a 9PL and slowly upgrading, of course.
Maybe Lowes will start carrying these 3-cell Surefires now?

Paul5M

Newly Enlightened
$89 - Not bad...I thought regular G3s came with a Pyrex lens, this one says Lexan?

The price is bad!

Pop quiz for you:

G2 $36.00
G2L $65.00
G3 $59.00
G3L $89.00

What combo will you buy if you want to have G3 LED and G2 incand?
(Hints: P90 costs $8.00 more than P60, G3 has Pyrex, G2 has Lexan)

NickDrak

Enlightened
The G3L will use the same LED module (P60L) as the 6PL/G2L. The P60L is regulated to produce the max of 80lumens regardless of how many volts it is run on. The only benefit of the G3L over the G2L is the extended runtime.

I personally prefer a little more output, and would rather get a standard 9P or G3 and install a Malkoff or BOG LED module and get 140-150 "Out-the-front" lumens and about 3 hours of runtime.

Size15's

Flashaholic
From a durability perspective I'd prefer to have Lexan than Pyrex in utility flashlights such as the G2L (G3L). The need for Pyrex is to handle the high temperature bulb and beam which is not an issue for an LED light because the beam is cold.

I'd go so far to replace the Pyrex bezel of a 6P/Z2 etc with a Lexan bezel from a G2L/G3L when I used the P60L LED Lamp Module in the 6P/Z2 etc.

I suppose that SureFire will phase more P60L versions into it's range - Z2L, G2ZL, C2L etc

NickDrak

Enlightened
Perhaps SureFire are so busy trying to meet the demand for the P60L that there isn't time to release a high output version?

I would bet that you are CORRECT! They were supposed to release the seperate P60L modules a few weeks back, but since the demand has been so high for the 6PL and G2L, I imagine they are having a hard time keeping up with the demand.

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
I think Surefire needs to hire Gene Malkoff. Who's with me? :grin2:

How would Malkoff's LED module work in the Nitrolons? I read somewhere that he doesn't recommend more than a few minutes runtime with the G2 because of the high heat from the module.
Would the metal bezel cure this problem?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Most likley the Al head will help some, but the base of the drop in where it's hottest is smack against a nitrolon battery tube. So the Al head is not a total fix but is an improvement. Keep the runtime at 15~20 minutes but no more without a cool off period for the Q4 200+ lumen Malkoff.

Gene43

Enlightened
Yes Sgt. is right, no more than 15-20 minutes for the high output version. The aluminum head should help some. The low output 130 lumen version I will be putting out in a few weeks (6 hrs on two CR123 primaries) should be able to run indefinitely in a G2, G3.

Gene

iholla

Newly Enlightened
This is the first I heard--Is surfire now putting on the Alum head on their G2L's for what reason--Heat?

Can we email surefire and they may send us a alum head for people who have bought the G2L??

lightemup

Flashaholic*
iholla:

Question 1: It is heat related. It is just a production change: there is not a problem using the G2 Bezel with the p60L. In a nutshell for constant on beyond afew minutes etc the use of the aluminium bezel gives about a 10 lumen (give or take?) increase in output. The thermal sensor in the P60L prevents any damage to the led etc. This is achieved by a slight decrease in overall output. The aluminium bezel is seemingly a little more efficient in terms of heat management, and thus the production change.

Question 2: It is not a problem using the old bezel. Therefore Surefire will not replace the bezel as there is no problem to fix (we are only talking about a loss of a couple of lumens for extended constant on). You will notice that at least for the time being the unaltered yellow g2 is still for sale...

My information is correct as of the end of last month when I talked to Surefire CS.

Your questions have been engaged a few times on cpf already, a search should bring up more information :)....

Last edited:

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
If you look at SureFire leds from a few years ago they were putting out very little light. Look at the KL3 head for the C and P series. It puts out 19 lumens for 4 hours. Or the KL5 which puts out 100 lumens for an hour. They each cost $65.00 and $145, respectively. You can pick up the G2L for $65 or 6PL for $85 and get 80 lumens.

Latest posts