Raidfire vs Tiablo throwers: Specification differences

Rzr800

Enlightened
I have readily admitted that I know absolutely nothing about flashlights on several occasions and appreciate my 'newbie' status...yet please help me understand if there is some kind of 'tradeoff' in the following specs:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=168357
Tiablo A9 and A8 LED FLASHLIGHT with CREE Q5 wc bin, limited edition!

18650.jpg

13.jpg
Beside the new "Super Reflector Technology", RaidFire® is also proud of the regulated Light Engine E3TM circuit used in this light. The technically advanced regulated circuit is designed for one single Li-ion battery, has excellent efficiency and regulating capacity. When under Max Output, the Light Engine E3TM of the SpearTM will be able to produce 1.16A invariable current to the LED, which allows one Q5 CREE LED to throw and amazing light output of 250 lumens. At this time, Light Engine E3TM draws a 1.29A current from battery on average, with an actual circuit efficiency reaching about 90%. By using such a high efficiency circuit, RaidFire® SpearTM is able to maintain a constant maximum output for up to 110 minutes when using one 2400mAH 18650 Li-ion battery

Output & Runtime
Maximum Output 250 lumens, for about 110 minutes (with brightness declines to 50%)
Minimum Output 5 lumens, for about 200 hours (with brightness declines to 50%)

Question: Which Tiablo light stands to be the one we would be comparing the Raidfire Spear to when it is released?

With the follow-up question being...are the 5 lumens at this uberlong run-time designed to compete against this other light for what specific duties in the targeted market?​

I'm not knocking either light and have bought the Spear because I felt that the price was right and it just plain looks good :)...yet am I indeed missing something here?​

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manufacturer claims can seldom be trusted. The Tiablo A8 and A9 are also different beasts. The A8 bing much nicer for 18650s iirc.
That quoted Tiablo runtime, do you assume they mean constant output or just that lumens figure for starting output? So many variables. Go search for a runtime chart for the Tiablos in the reviews section I guess and see how well they actually perform.

Rzr800

Enlightened
"Manufacturer claims can seldom be trusted. The Tiablo A8 and A9 are also different beasts. The A8 bing much nicer for 18650s iirc..."

Thanks for the tip; as StefanFS's review seems to put these runtimes more in perspective: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169070

TiabloAW18650high.jpg

After more thought, I am also starting to wonder if the ultra-low setting (5 lumens @ 200 hours) isn't more desirable for my needs at the moment...as why not just have the minmum one can get by on and maximum throw in somewhat of the same "K.I.S.S" package(?).

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The obvious answer would be that in the Tiablo A8/A9 the emitters are driven at ~850 mA with one 18650 cell, Raidfire claim that their light drives the emitter at over 1100 mA. If you drive the emitter harder you will get shorter runtimes.
Stefan

Last edited:

Rzr800

Enlightened
I just wanted all to know that I re-worded my question to more accurately reflect what I am attempting to figure out here. These both look to be great lights (with the Tiablo obviously the more proven of the two) and I am simply trying to compare the two somehow absent any confirmation (or even 'guess' beyond my own) as to what light is in that Spear thread beamshot. (thanks for your patience with the newbie and sincere gratitude to the two members who replied).

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go by the tailcap it's the A8, the A9 has a different tailcap(cutouts for lanyard,button does not protrude, will tail stand). The A8 is optimized for an 18650(will also run on 2 CR123's). The A9 for CR123's and RCR123's(will have a declining output using an 18650). The A8 uses a Q2, the A8 special edition uses a Q5. All A9's use a Q5. The A9 using CR123's will have a slightly higher output over the A8, but shorter runtime. Edit: I took another look at my A9 it has cutouts for a lanyard, the button does not stick out, and it will tailstand.

Last edited:

Rzr800

Enlightened
If you go by the tailcap it's the A8, the A9 has a different tailcap(cutouts, will tail stand). The A8 is optimized for an 18650(will also run on 2 CR123's). The A9 for CR123's and RCR123's(will have a declining output using an 18650). The A8 uses a Q2, the A8 special edition uses a Q5. All A9's use a Q5.

'wow':eek:oo:...thanks a lot, Steve; you just made wading through all of this that much easier. I guess the next obvious question would be...are we comparing a standard Tiablo Q2 in the beamshot or the upgraded Q5?

Rzr800

Enlightened
"Good eye" and an assumption that will certainly make any member or manufacturer based shootout/review with all these models more interesting and accurate.