LED thrower

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Fenix T1 on the way to me in the UK, but after lurking around here for a bit I've got a real urge for a LED thrower. After a few searches, feeling like my brain was going to explode and looking at reviews I'm thinking of going for the Dereelight DBS Cree XR-E Q5.

Anyone got any other recommendations? My budget is around $200 but I could go a bit further for something special...

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one but, They say the Tiable A9 is a great LED thrower. I'm sure if you do a search you can find a lot of information on this light.

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
I can remember exactly where it was on here, but I read a comparision test where the beam spot from the Dereelight DBS looked better than the Tiablo A9.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DBS has a larger and deeper reflector than the Tiablo A9. With the same emitters in each, at the same drive current, the DBS will out throw the Tiablo.

Flic

Enlightened
I own an A9, and a DBS. If your battery preference is an issue, remember this, the Tiablo is optimized for 123 primaries but handles an 18650 as well. The DBS runs on 18650 only.

I think the build quality of the Tiablo is much better than the Dereelight. However, the DBS can VERY easily be upgraded by simply buying a new pill (about $30 give or take) meaning you have an easy (and cheap) time upgrading when R2's, R5's, etc. become available. Either way I am sure you will be well served. You should be able to light up the French coast and spot incomming bombers (okay, a slight exageration).

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
I own an A9, and a DBS. If your battery preference is an issue, remember this, the Tiablo is optimized for 123 primaries but handles an 18650 as well. The DBS runs on 18650 only.

I think the build quality of the Tiablo is much better than the Dereelight. However, the DBS can VERY easily be upgraded by simply buying a new pill (about $30 give or take) meaning you have an easy (and cheap) time upgrading when R2's, R5's, etc. become available. Either way I am sure you will be well served. You should be able to light up the French coast and spot incomming bombers (okay, a slight exageration).

Hahahaaa, I wouldn't mind being able to light up the French coast! I'm just surprised someone on here knows where the Channel Islands are...

To be honest for the moment I'm using CR123A primaries as I can get the Panasonics ones for a good price and I don't seem to go through them that fast, I plan to try a 18650 though at some point.

The DBS has a few different versions from what I can find, one will only run on 18650's, but there's another one that will take 18650's, CR123A's or RCR123A's IIRC?

djblank87

Enlightened
WadeF seems to have it dead on. I have owned a Tiablo A9Q5 and while it is a hell of a thrower and shocked me when I saw how far it threw the Dereelight can out throw the Tiablo due to the reflector depth as WadeF has stated.

Sgt.'s idea of the Aspheric Mag is a good one and since my order is still pending with ledean and I am waiting to get it shipped so I can't comment on the throw just yet.

But according to the great "Got Throw" thread by CPF member Nitro the Apsheric out throws the Tiablo A8 no problem.

When I finally get my Aspheric mag I will post some beamshots of it at 500', 1000' and 2000' feet to see what it can do.

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
The DBS has a larger and deeper reflector than the Tiablo A9. With the same emitters in each, at the same drive current, the DBS will out throw the Tiablo.

That's what I was thinking from the pictures I've seen, not that I know much about it!

djblank87

Enlightened
R/F:

Raid Fire a company over in the CPF Market Place is advertising a "Super Thrower" the Raid Fire Spear light that will according to them out throw the Tiablo hands down.

Now of coruse opinions are mixed on this being that not a single person has actually reviwed it yet who truly knows. :thinking:

I do not know it they have stated that it will out throw the Dereelight but who knows. Of course there are mixed opinions regarding the light from Raid Fire.

Give me a sec I will post a link for you. Here you go: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=171684

Jambo please note that there is a pre-order list for these lights but there is not a set shipping date yet.

Last edited:

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
Ah, yes. I did come across that whilst having a look around. It looks alright but it's a unknown quantity, I might wait till a review or two comes out.

I have to admit I do like the modular design of the Dereelight though, the easy upgradeability is a attractive feature.

kavvika

Enlightened
Dereelight DBS if you want a turnkey light. Aspherical Mag if you want to mod. That Elektrolumens module linked to earlier isn't really in the same category as its reflector is much too small.

Flic

Enlightened
Hahahaaa, I wouldn't mind being able to light up the French coast! I'm just surprised someone on here knows where the Channel Islands are...

To be honest for the moment I'm using CR123A primaries as I can get the Panasonics ones for a good price and I don't seem to go through them that fast, I plan to try a 18650 though at some point.

The DBS has a few different versions from what I can find, one will only run on 18650's, but there's another one that will take 18650's, CR123A's or RCR123A's IIRC?

The digital controlled Q5 id the one that needs 18650's. It's also likely to be the one with the best regulation. But you can always get a second pill and make the light more flexible for little money.

And yes, some of us in the colonies know the UK quite well. Despite being French Canadian, I have an affinity for all things British (I think having owned a Norton Commando sealed my fate). My wife was recently in Scotland. Both of us will travel to Scotland, the Orkneys and the Isle of Man next spring. Jersey and Guernsey are slated for a future trip!

TTFN