AMC7315 @ 1050ma - What Heatsinking if any?

Cydonia

Enlightened
The AMC7315 1050mA driver from DX... when solder bridged to activate full current... really needs no heatsink? Seems too good to be true. Just want to make sure.

----------

Now for some random thoughts and :

How about the AMC7315 1400ma driver version? (You could fit two of them into a 3D Mag, epoxied to the Mag side walls, once the bulb post was cut out, powering 3 or 4 Cree on a Perfect XR19 Cree Heatsink - D with McR19 XR reflector!!) :drool: But I wonder what heat issues might exist for use of 2 drivers @ 1400... Any thoughts or opinions?

Last edited:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the voltage drop between the load and the source.

You shouldn't exceed the 7135's power dissipation limits (700mW for the SOT89).

The 7135 is a linear regulator - if you are going to supply a load that has a voltage of say, 3.5V with a 6V source, the 7135s must dissipate 2.6Watts {(6-3.5)*1.05}. Assuming equal sharing, that's 875mW each.

You should be OK with a single Li-ion.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Thanks chimo, that answers everything! I Didn't have the 7135's specs for max dissipation... looks like I could sneak through with 3 NiMh also. I was also concerned with what the temps could get up to in a sealed space like the Mag, especially with 2 drivers crammed in there. Well, it's all just musing and ideas at this point...

wildstar87

Enlightened
I wish I understood what this means... :) I am going to get one of 1A drivers to try out with a theoretical 6v load, so would that mean by this data that it would ok to use?

I guess if it needs a heatsink, I could just use Arctic Alumina Epoxy on this to the back of the DHS heatsink.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember that the batteries will also sag under load, so if the intent was 2xCR123 their loaded voltage will be much less (see SilverFox's battery sticky).

The main thing to keep in mind is that the driver must dissipate in heat the difference in power supplied by the batteries to what's actually going to the load (kind of like traction control on a car).