Strange Spairair mods again

Spareair

Newly Enlightened
for some that may not know...I am a SCUBA diver...and in constant search for cheap dive lights or making my own.....so here is my recent real mod.

Started with the standard UK 400 series krypton bulb under water light.

a.jpg

now I took the bulb that comes with the light and took it apart in order to make some extra parts and to see how I could mod it....

c.jpg

The light is a screw in contact system and requires the edge of the bulb to touch the contract strip.......

b.jpg

So I took a piece of 1/2" copper pipe and flared the end and found that the original bulb end fit perfectly inside the copper piece.

PB190034.jpg

Now I soldered a couple of leads on the end of a TLE-5EX and then made the connections inside and then used thermal epoxy to glue the chip to the copper pipe.......

PB190035.jpg

PB190036.jpg

PB190037.jpg

I used the reflector that comes with the TLE.....

WOW....talk about nice now......but you all know what the beam shots are like.....so I will not post any....

but you may have noticed that it is a 4 cell light...I just made a "fake" battery to eliminate 2 cells.......

This is fun.....stay tuned for more of the strange and odd ones from me....

Everett

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a great improvement. Instead of using a dummy cell, you might be able to wire the (-) connection to the springs in the back of the tube and add some kind of insert in front of the batteries, so that you could run it on two sets of two AA's in parallel.

Spareair

Newly Enlightened
I have tried that.......the problem lies in the fact that light was designed for 4 AA cells in series.
The bottom of the light is a rocker lever that is activated when the bezel is screwed down it pushes up the second set of cells into the side contact of the throat........

DM51

Flashaholic
Another excellent mod from you - I really like the way you improvise with everyday materials to solve a problem.

Spareair

Newly Enlightened
Another excellent mod from you - I really like the way you improvise with everyday materials to solve a problem.

Thanks for the compliment....

I like the MacGiver-ism way of doing things...