DEAR FENIX: Tips to make the T-2 more appealing to professionals

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
Got my T-1 last Saturday.

Already had a chance to EDC it for a few days now and use it "tactically".

Here's how to improve on a great light. Do these things on an upgraded T1 (the T1.1) or the next T-series light and you'll eat Sure-Fire's lunch if they continue their current product lineup.

I mean these as constructive criticism.

1. Make the knurling more aggressive. It's hard to hold onto that little sucker.

2. Accentuate the bump in the rear where the tailcap screws on so we can use it like we do the Sure-Fire "Combat Lights".

3. The head of the light does not need to be 4.5mm thick. It's almost uncomfortable (it's about too fat) to carry clipped in one's pocket.

4. I don't know who told you that we're going to tail-stand a "tactical" light, but we don't. Ditch or greatly reduce the height of those big "crenelations" (?) that obscure access to the tail switch. They are a pain in the thumb. Let us have free access to the tail switch.

5. Make the belt clip removable. I like the belt clip, but if I was going to wear it on a kydex holster, it would just get in the way. Your holsters are cute and nice, but they aren't "tactical" or "tacticool", either one.

6. Put your "spare" tail cap cover as black. The orange, GITD tailcap is a little on the ghey side. For those who like the stylish orange cap, they'll have it and those of us who like basic black will have ours. It's a WIN-WIN for Fenix!

7. Those four "cuts" in the head are too sharp!

8. Some might like "black" although I don't mind the coyote brown for a finish.

9. ETA: You might consider making the beam just a bit "wider" to give more room for error when momentarily blinding a bad guy...

Great job on the brightness! Holy cow. Nice job. AND you wisely chose 60 lumens as a "general" mode, which is about right for doing interior room clearing in pitch black environs. You don't want to "turn the lights on" for the whole room from light splash while looking for bad guys.

You've got a solid, well built product... And finally (FINALLY!!) you put in a forward "clicky" switch with momentary on.

Improve upon it and you'll make more money.

I'm curious what improvements other personal defense / LEO / public safety users here at CPF would suggest.

John

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some good ideas i would agree with, others, ill have to wait for mine to arrive, but i DO like the idea of 4.5mm thick alluminium, sounds good and would probably feel good if you ask me. THERES one place that it would outlast a surefire, the 4.5mm thick head...

Crenshaw

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I own one, and I can assure you that Surefire has nothing to fear. For the price it cost coming from China....it should have been a lot nicer light. Yeah...it's got a nice beam, but so do all the other Fenix lights. Yeah, it's built like a tank, but what's it take to mill a thick piece of aluminum? It's not just how thick the metal is, but what you do with that piece of metal. The knurling is absolutely useless and just as slick as the smooth metal. The tail cap does not need to be scalloped so the light can stand, nor does the rubber boot need to be orange gitd. The head is way too bulky. If they were going to make a light like this, it should have also been upgradeable with drop-ins. All I can say is...Looks can be deceiving. Mine will be over at MarketPlace soon.

AaronM

Enlightened
Worst case: They re-issue the light with a re-done tail cap (heavy knurling, black switch boot and NO tripod) and let the public deal with the rest.

Better case: Same as above with much more agressive knurling on main body as well. Still left with permanent clip.

Best case (warning, tooling costs getting high!): All that plus removeable clip...maybe some thing that screws right to the head? It's thick enough, that's for sure.

As for the rough edges at the big end, I've got a jewelers file.

Everything else is just fine for me.

Gawd, I hope they listen!:naughty:

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
I completely agree with Bondr006's statements. Output is good and that is about it. This is my first Fenix light and more than likely my last. Should have put that $73 toward another Surefire.

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree with 4 & 6 until, mine is shipped then i will know about the others

wishywashy7

Enlightened
If I repeat or paraphrase the sentiments of the others, it's to stress them (sorry kind sirs if I sound redundant sometimes)

Amen to ditching the tailcap crenelations, and include a spare black rubber switchboot (make it firmer, less deformable).

Make clip removable, and make it a flat piece of metal, that would make it sturdier. Clip should be lower-profile and be located near the tailcap not bezel for bezel down carry in the pocket

Gladius-type/"syringe" type handle/protrusions near the tailcap if a the rubber ring design has already been patented, to allow true syringe/cigar grip for use in conjunction with a firearm. Make this to be removable too.

Lower low mode. Like the P3D Q5 low mode.

If you can't make the knurling more aggressive, can we ask for fine checkering?

Free kydex holster, nylon one is not fumble-free (would be okay even if as aftermarket accessory). If not kydex, a open nylon one with a kydex stiffener would be nice.

A kernmantle or paracord lanyard with plastic ball/button adjusters. Black cellphone/camera lanyards don't cut it as tactical. Lanyards are only as strong as their weakest link, the thin part of the lanyard doesn't look very reassuring. Mine is already beginning to fray.:(

Make the cuts in the bezel larger and bevel the corners. Kudos for making it tough stainless steel.:thumbsup:

Turbohead or a 3xCR123 version anyone?

Black HAIII version?

Hope the T2 is even brighter than the T1.:devil:

Here's to the wait for the T2 which hopefully doest cost significantly more.:popcorn:

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
I do not use my flashlights in a professional manner, but I by and large agree with Templar223.

The T1 is an incredible flashlight, and I think that if Fenix did not bother to call it 'Tactical', fewer people would be complaining. But, having called it tactical, I strongly agree that the knurling must provide a better grip, there must be a larger rear bulge or a rubber ring like SureFire uses, and the tail-standing must be abandoned in favor of easier thumb access. I think that the beam pattern chosen by Fenix is perfect, but I otherwise also agree with the other points made my Templar223. I just don't give them the same priority as the grip and thumb access points.

I LOVE my T1. It is a great flashlight, just not a great tactical flashlight.

Frank

CWR712

Newly Enlightened
+1 to Franks message.

T1 is a fabulous light. I love mine as well, but all the issues mentioned above are indeed true.

It is (I hope) understood that Fenix makes great lights, and the T1 is no exception. This thread is designed, among other things, to provide some constructive suggestions to the factory (Fenix, are you out there?) as to ways to improve on the next release of the hopefully new & improved T1.

Bottom line: Flashahaulics are a picky bunch! :eek:

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Some good ideas i would agree with, others, ill have to wait for mine to arrive, but i DO like the idea of 4.5mm thick alluminium, sounds good and would probably feel good if you ask me. THERES one place that it would outlast a surefire, the 4.5mm thick head...

Crenshaw

+1. Doesn't the thick head help with heatsinkng?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I say it, I might get accused of baiting.
So all I'll say is.... that light already exists.... under a different brand. :sssh:

Does it have a Cree Q5 being driven around 1A putting out 180-200 lumens out the front for 1.5 hours on two CR123's? :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Does it have a Cree Q5 being driven around 1A putting out 180-200 lumens out the front for 1.5 hours on two CR123's? :)

Nope!

But it puts out an incredible wall of light.... and its little brother is still King of the Hill when it comes to small size, cost, and also putting out a wall of light. And all from "old" technology. :D