HELP!!! KL6 Mod not working

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
All right, Newbie modder here...maybe I should have used a cheaper host to mod....oh well....Milky may have to bail me out if I can't get this to work.

I removed the base off the KL6, de-soldered the contacts and pryed the emitter off. I cleaned the heatsink, mixed some arctic silver and seated the new SSC LED in place. I then, soldered the contacts on. Screwed the base back into place and tried it out...Nada :-(

Is there a positive and negitive end that I may have mixed up? Did I screw something up?

Any help is appreciated!!

TIA
Boltgun

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll send a pic

Hope this helps

The lead wires coming out of the head should be red & black.....I think....if so red should be (positive +) (Black -)
thats how it was on my KL1 anyway
emitter20bros1.jpg

Last edited:

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
I'll send a pic

Hope this helps

The lead wires coming out of the head should be red & black.....I think....if so red should be (positive +) (Black -)
thats how it was on my KL1 anyway
emitter20bros1.jpg

I will let you know...thanks for the pic

BG

Update!! - YAHOO!!! it worked..thanks that was it..I wired it backwards. As soon as I changed the wires around there was a bright light.....very white too!!!

Last edited:

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
Roadie,

I wish I could. One of my cats knocked the digi-cam of a piece of furniture and it is broken. Anyways here is what I did:

removed head and saw that the emmitter assembly is held in place with three screws.

feeling adventurous, I removed th escrews and saw the whole unit come out of the reflector housing.

The emmitter was sitting RIGHT THERE waiting to be modded. I used a solder gun to heat the wire contacts and a pair of tweezers to remove the wires from the contacts while the solder was fluid. Otherwise it would cool again and I would have to repeat it. (I have since found at one of the hobby shops around here some "de-solder wire" used to suck up the liquid solder)

I then pryed the emmitter off with a small (precision type) flat head screw driver. Then I used some gun scrubber to clean the base.

I mixed up some Arctic Alumina, sat the emmitter in it and in no time it was hard. I then soldered the wires to the emmitter leads. BACKWARDS as I know know. Then had to desolder them and turn the whole assembly around so the right wires would line up. Soldered them in place and voila!!!

I would rate this an easy mod, I didnt have to mess with any electronics (DUH!!). If I did have to do that I wouldn't have chanced it.

I used a SSC P4 USXOH emmitter.

Hope this helps

Boltgun

roadie

Enlightened
oh ic ..... well too bad .... i was hoping for beamshots :sssh:
so what are u going to mod next? :grin2:

hmmmmmmmmmm :devil:

btw which emitter u actually use ? and mind sharing where u got them? i thinking of geting a few too? :)

cheers

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the reverse polarity didn't fry the LED? That's good to know.

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
oh ic ..... well too bad .... i was hoping for beamshots :sssh:
so what are u going to mod next? :grin2:

hmmmmmmmmmm :devil:

btw which emitter u actually use ? and mind sharing where u got them? i thinking of geting a few too? :)

cheers

ssc p4 USXOH. Can't remember who I bought these from but I had bought some from LEDChick on this board....those may have been USWOHs though.

No it didn't fry the LED. Fluked out I guess.

Boltgun

Latest posts