Novatac 120P unexpectedly draining batteries?

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
This is the 2nd time that this has happened. At first I thought I was just draining the batteries by accident turning it on while it was on my belt or something but then I turned the auto button lock on and same thing.

Came home tonight and:

1: Pressed on and the light just turned on (with the auto lock on). I know I haven't used it all afternoon and there's no way I triple clicked it by accident.
2: Turned it on and off 2-3 times.
3: Then I went to turn it on again and the light triple flashed me (the auto lock somehow enagaged itself while I was using it).
4: It wouldn't go any higher than 10 lumens or so.
5: I measured the battery at 2.6 volts no load and 0.8 (that's right) volts under a 3ohm load (a little under an amp, most new 3V batteries test 2.5-2.8V under that load, 50% used batteries are 2 and change).

I did the reset last time it did that and it apparently didn't do any good.

BBL

Enlightened
Are you sure the cells were ok? I had a few cr123 that were 20-40% out of the box

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I measure all my batteries loaded and unloaded and mark them before putting them into my storage box. These were duracell ultra and energizer cells.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably a bad switch. When you turn the light off the switch must not be completely opening up(leaking current). I would contact Novatac and explain the problem. Can't beat a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
It's probably a bad switch. When you turn the light off the switch must not be completely opening up(leaking current). I would contact Novatac and explain the problem. Can't beat a lifetime warranty.

I thought all the switch did was relay a signal and the microprocessor was what controlled the current flow?