Does the XRE-7090 LED come in both 3 and 5 watt? & Designing a 200 Lumen headlamp:

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
Does the XRE-7090 LED come in both 3 and 5 watt? & Designing a 200 Lumen headlamp:

Hey everyone I am Chris, I'm new around here.

I was reading through the forums about upgrading your double A Mini Maglite to a 100 lumens.

What I noticed is that some companies claim theres is a 5 watt that uses half as much power as normal. Some say they are a 5 watt that saves twice as much power. Some claim to be a 3 watt, and one time a company made the title 5 watt LED, and then said in the description that they only meant the flashlight was 5 watts and the actual replacement bulb was 3.

I was in a forum and a guy recommended buying a new lens for one here:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1329

Then he said to buy the replacement bulb here, this company says its a 3 watt:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html

But if you compare that one to this one:
http://www.led-replacement.com/tle-5ex.html

They look totally different, and this company is claiming its a 5 watt LED see:
http://www.led-replacement.com/2aa_mini-mag.html

Does anyone know, is a Mini Mag considered a 5 watt flashlight or something, in total power output?

Do you believe led-replacement.com has a 5 watt led, or really just a 3 watt?

I researched the TLE-5EX in google adding and removing the numbers 5 watt and 3 watt, and I almost concluded they were all 3 watts, does anyone know?

Once I typed in a LED's model number, and learned that the model number was still quite vague considering it showed the company had made 1 watt, 3 watt, and all sorts of different watt bulbs, but they all used the same model number.

Only one thing is really certain to me, the TLE-5EX runs cool, and it produces around 90-100 Lumens according to some articles I read on the LED.

----------------------------------------------------------

My Headlamp Idea:

After reading an article about how this guy made a 500 Lumen headlamp himself, I have been in to lighting allot, reading through this forum daily, here is his article, you have to click on the buttons to see all of the steps:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Night-Vision-Headlamp---500%2b-lumens-with-/

Then I was reading about how you all work on lights, and I just knew this forum was for me.

My idea originated when I saw how expensive good headlamps are for caving. I really want to have 2 3 watt LEDS , but I don't want to pay $310 for a Stenlight system:
http://www.howiesharnesses.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=36&products_id=309

That is when it hit me, I should buy two double A Maglites, and cut the heads off.

Next buy a cheap $5 caving headlamp with a seperate pack that holds 4 double A's, rip the light off, and wire up, epoxy/install my Maglite heads, and run some new wires and try and install a water proof switch, and all that other good stuff.

If the setup works, then I would go ahead and buy the best LED upgrade kit(?) and maybe the lens's too.

My whole setup will cost about $100, but that seems fair compared to $310 for the Stenlight. The $60 Apex headlamp uses 1 3 watt LED and is only 60 lumens.

If I used 2 $20 3 watt CREE P4 LED flashlights I might be able to save some money, but then I wouldn't be able to focus the beam like how you can with the Maglite(I think), here is what that light looks like:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&maxrecordsreturne

I would really really like to know if the TLE-5EX comes in a 5 watt version? Does anyone at least know what I can do in order to find out, I will resort to making phone calls if anyone knows who I should call.-'

If you know anything about the TLE-5EX please reply, I need some knowledge.

So what does everyone think of my project? let me know..

Last edited:

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
Re: Does the XRE-7090 LED come in both 3 and 5 watt? & Designing a 200 Lumen headlamp

Ya don't I know it, his non working build instructions for a 1000 lumen headlamp is how I got interested in all of this though.

UPDATE:

Someone gave me an idea, I should use a Seoul for the spot and a CREE for flood.

I am thinking about using the 2 C Mag with a SSC P4 LED mod in it for the spotlighting. I don't have to use the 1.5 volt C batteries, and instead I can still use the other two 1.5 volt double A's I had planned on, but they won't last as long as the C's, but that's ok, I don't plan on constantly using my spot.

Does anyone know if Seoul's P4 LED makes a good spotlight?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: Does the XRE-7090 LED come in both 3 and 5 watt? & Designing a 200 Lumen headlamp

That's backwards! The Cree is for spot the Seoul P4 is for flood!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's backwards! The Cree is for spot the Seoul P4 is for flood!

A cree has a better emission pattern for flood without a reflector than the SSC.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
cree is better, no matter what! But needs the more expensive Sandwich shoppe reflectors

as to that "Watt" ratings: forget them!
that comes from over one year from now, when there really have been "5 Watt" (correct: Luxeon V) leds.

The actual led (Cree XR-E, Seoul P4) can be driven with up to 1 A and thus might be called (almost) 5 Watts, but thats not good.
Stay with the drive current alone, forget watt ratings.

PS: in Your third link, thats a Cree XR-E. In the fourth one, there are Cree XR-e, Luxeon 1, Luxeon K2 and Luxeon K2.
The Cree (as well as a Seoul P4 and a Luxeon Rebel) offers about double the brightness at the same current than any other led
AND
a Minimag is a Halogen light, its not considered any watts at all
(and it has not the capability to COOL a powerled running on full power. When the led overheats, it dies very quick. These inserts do not offer a good thermal path led to the housing and thus can not run the emitter on high current - or have them die very quick)

PPS: thats why I started with "forget Watts". Offers claimed whatever Watts they wanted to sell the lights, because the led was rated for it. But could never be run at that wattage because of the poor heatsinking --> effect: no higher output than "1 Watt" lights.
When both were run with 350 mA, there simply was no difference

given the price of these inserts, and what they offer (nothing at all): get a Fenix L2D-CE. Smaller, brighter, more levels, better finish.
but: the minimal feels better in the hand, the Fenix are all more slippery

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

At 1 amp, the LED is driven at around 3.6-3.7v(Amp * Voltage = wattage). 5 Watt will be overdriving the LED

The minimag Drop-in. The "3 Watt" one would be brighter(Cree XR-E, I don't know the bin). It has a much more efficient LED then the "5 watt" one(Luxeon K2). More then twice the efficiency.

The newer, brighter, more efficient LEDs are the Cree XR-E(P4-R2 bin), Seoul P4 U bin and the Luxeon Rebel 100. The Cree XR-E Q5 LEDs can hit 230 lumens when driven at 1 amp.

The Terralux drop-in does not run cool, the top of the lune LED is only50% efficient max, and that is at nowhere near 3 watt(LEDs get more efficient at lower drive currents). Add that to the LED driver efficiency and you get a good amount of heat. It would be recommended to add a fitting washer with some thermal paste to ensure a good thermal path for the heat to go. But the Drop-in should work fine without the washer mod.

The L2D-CE(The Q5 version would be about 30% brighter, more efficient LED) would be a better choice. The 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

Dealextreme and Kaidomain also have some good deals on Cree/Seoul/Rebel lights. Just look at the ones getting good reviews.

The headlamp? Look in the headlamps section.

200 lumen at the LED can be easily achieved by driving a Seoul U bin or a Cree Q2 and up bin at one amp.

:welcome: