Has anyone ever added a batery pack to a maglite?

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
I want to build a caving headlamp out of 2 maglites(with mods).

I was thinking of buying a cheap headlamp that holds 4 double a's and using that to power the whole thing.

Do you think I can chop the head off of a maglite and run it to an external battery supply?

Also, does anyone know:

Can you power a double C battery maglite with 2 double A's?

I figured since both the C and double A is rated at 1.5 volts, that you could change them out and the device wouldn't know the difference, not sure though, please someone reply and help me out. This is all in the name of my latest project:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182159

horizonseeker

Enlightened
voltage would be the same, but capacity is quite different between AA and C batteries, you can get longer running time on C as opposed to AA.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
This is absolutely possible. If you can't find a battery holder already made you should be able to adapt some of the open ones from Radio shack into a water proof/resistant container that should be small enough to clip somewhere on you.

I strongly recommend you put the UCL into the Mag heads too. It really makes a noticable difference.

Good luck on this project.

Bob E.

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
Why is that Lux, cause it was just so basic, sorry I'm a noob, and I also wasn't sure if maybe Maglite had added some electronics in the bottom of the flashlight to prevent you from trying to do it, so basically I was paranoid, I figured I will take my time and ask the pros,.

Thanx for the tip on the bike section, I'll check it out.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If it is the stock maglite(Or even the Mag LED) there are no electronics in the maglite(Ther isre some in the LED "Bulb" if you ave a MagLED). They are pretty much a tube with a switch.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw several publications that actually made diving lights by using a Mag head connected to a belt pack, good run times. In some instances they put HIDs in the head. All were pressure proof. Check with a dive website or shop.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Why is that Lux, cause it was just so basic, sorry I'm a noob, and I also wasn't sure if maybe Maglite had added some electronics in the bottom of the flashlight to prevent you from trying to do it, so basically I was paranoid, I figured I will take my time and ask the pros,.

Thanx for the tip on the bike section, I'll check it out.

It was as GreenLED said, and I figured my "LOL" and Sig link would let you know my inference. :welcome:

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
Ya, I was wondering, does anyone know how good the battery holder are at circuit city?

The ones that hold 2 double A's are a $1, but it seems like for that price they might be of poor construction.

I was thinking to waterproof the batteries that I could stick rechargeables in them, and laminate them. I would have to use one of those charge any volts chargers (with the alligator clips), I wonder how much they cost.-'

nickz

Enlightened
Figure out exactly what voltage you are needing and have lux put a pack together for you. He could simply weld some leads to the battery end caps and you could then make your connections and store however you like. The downside is, when you run the pack dry that is it until you get somewhere to recharge.

Another idea would be to use the fivemega battery holders in which you could use nimh, alkaline, etc. You could simply assemble a few packs and use the included charging jack to connect to the packs for power. Then you could simply swap between these packs pretty easily and then simply put new batteries in the pack that ran down and stow it away for later.

Sorry if some of this is kinda incoherant. Had just a couple drinks last night with my brother but it wasnt a good idea with the medication I am on :green:.