Fenix L3D Cree Q5 vs. Rebel 100

snakyjake

Enlightened
Can someone please post photo comparisons and commentary of the Fenix L3D Cree Q5 versus Rebel 100?

I assume runtime is near identical, and output is fairly close.

I'd like to see photos that could describe:

a. Differences in throw vs. spill? Probably best accomplished with room shots and outdoors that have multiple objects at differing distances.

b. How the differing tint may affect object visibility at distance? Warm tint might be nice for close objects, but cool white tint might be better at distance or for the strobe in self defense?

Thanks in advance,

Jake

pipspeak

Enlightened
There are a bunch of photos out there... might take a while to gather them all tho. I did the same exercise over this last week. The conclusions I came to before putting in my order for an L2D Q5 (and L1D body):

- the Q5 seems to have marginally more output than the rebel 100
- the Q5 is a classic cool white, while the rebel has a warmer tint that many have said gives better 3D rendering of objects at a distance. Both seem plenty bright enough to dazzle.
- the rebel has the edge on runtime for most output levels, but not by much

Throw is going to be influenced more by the type of reflector since both emitters have very similar output. Smooth reflectors will give greater throw at the expense of beam "neatness" but both seems to have similar-sized spill diameters overall. I ended up opting for the smooth reflector because with such a powerful light I'm more interested in throw than how smooth the transition between hot spot and spill is. Not sure the rebel 100 is available with a smooth reflector but the Q5 comes with either.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the L2D Rebel 100 and Q5. I liked the Rebel 100 better. The Rebel had a nicer warm tint. The Rebel had a silky smooth beam, the Q5 wasn't bad and maybe only a flashaholic would appreciate the difference. And the Q5 had a slightly darker ring just around the hotspot. This kind of bugged me. The L0D Q4 i have doesn't seem to have the dark ring around the hotspot.

As for the "brighter Q5" over the rebel, well the difference was visually very slight. As for throw, well they were both about the same, remember they have the same sized reflector, and the OP on the rebel reflector is not too heavy. I liked the rebel version much more then the Q5 version. So it was a easy decision for me.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like cool white light - get Q5.
If you like yellow (I hate it) - get Rebel.