Is there there such a thing as a safe laser?

NYCblue

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks,

I would like to employ a laser in the classroom when i point to the large world map at the front of the room when doing a lesson. The old pointer stick limits my mobility and I thought utlitizing a laser would increase my ability to keep the back of the attentive if I could be able to go back there and point at the map with a laser. HOWEVER, given what I read about lasers and their harmful potential to the eye, I woudn't even want to consider it. But my question to the CPF laser experts, is there a laser pointer/product that if incidentally in passing was shined into a persons eye would be no different than shining lets say an ARC AAA flashlight into somebodys eye for a second or two?

Any replies/info are much appreciated,
thanks

RDZombie

Newly Enlightened
any red or greenie (with built in IR filter, as most do) under 5mw and you'll be golden

Tachikoma

Enlightened
Here in Italyeven 5mw are considered illegal and too dangerous used as pointers, you should get a red 1mw just to be 100% safe, in that case the risk would be comparable to a 100lumen flashlight pointed in someone eyes.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Any laser 5mw or less is fine. You would have to intentionally stare into the beam for long durations of time without blinking. Just buy a name brand laser so you know that it will be fine tuned to 5 mw or less. I have seen some newwish ">5mw" that put out 17mw which is when it starts to get dangerous. If you want to spend 50 bucks, I'd go with the Wicked lasers core http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/CORE-67-3.html Rather expensive, but very reliable, and has a 1 year warranty and IR filter.

Patrick Murphy

Newly Enlightened
Here in Italyeven 5mw are considered illegal and too dangerous used as pointers, you should get a red 1mw just to be 100% safe, in that case the risk would be comparable to a 100lumen flashlight pointed in someone eyes.

When assessing real-world eye damage risk, you can't directly compare laser wattage and lumens from conventional lights. There are just too many important variables, such as coherence and distance, whose effects will give very different results for the two light sources.

I agree with those who have said a laser with less than 5mW is perfectly safe for your in-classroom usage. Remember that you are controlling the laser, so you would not do anything stupid like aim the laser into someone's eye for a staring contest (this has happened ... teenagers!).

Laser safety experts came up with the 5mW limit by taking into account many factors, including the eye's blink reflex of approx. 1/4 second. You can be assured that for your usage, 5mW will be fine.

If you want greater visibility, choose green instead of red. This is because the eye has greater sensitivity to yellow-green light than red or blue. (This does not mean greater damage potential, just that the eye sees a green light as being significantly brighter than a red or blue light of equal output power.)

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah,a broken one? ;)

Really though,a laser is as safe as the user.

Just be laser safe .:caution: First rule never point at any eyes period :shakehead .secondly get the right safety glasses.And of coarse IR filters are important too.

And yes I do have a (laser) and it's safe, 120mw greenie IR filter and glasses.but above all a safe user.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

dr_lava

Enlightened
I'd reccommend getting a green laser for maximum visibility. 5mW is plenty, and it's no more dangerous (probably less so because of blink reflex) than a 5mW red laser pointer.

a Photoflash puts a lot more light energy in your eye than a passing swipe from a 5mW lazser, yet because no one is running around shooting high power directional flashes at planes, there is no public worry. You'll be fine.