Surefire Noise & Tint

hcd615

Enlightened
I am a newbie so sorry if this has been covered but I couldnt find it in any searches and it may be dumb, but:

I have heard so much about the L1 that I got the newest L1 today. Is it normal to hear I guess the spring in the tailcap when you turn it from off - low - high. I guess it is the spring in the tailcap compressing? I have read about a rattle, mine doesnt do that, just the spring noise. Sorry if this is an obvious question.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire noise

Thats what a flashlight fart sound like!

I don't have a New L1 so I don't really know

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Call SF and describe it in detail, if it's not normal they will send you out a new tailcap right away. Won't have to send in the old one either most likley.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have noticed a "buzzing" noise in some of my lights, mostly my A2, which I have been told is due to the regulation. Haven't noticed it in my L1, but it could be the same thing.

Regards,
Tempest

scottaw

Enlightened

My Cree L1 is pretty quiet. But, my other L1 sometimes sounds like maybe the spring is scraping against the battery. No scratching or damage to the back of the battery though.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stick a tiny bit of grease on the bottom of the cell. The spring will slip smoothly when you turn the body and you won't hear it.

greenLED

Flashaholic

It's normal. From what you're describing, it's the spring rubbing against the battery as you twist the tailcap. If it really bugs you, take a piece of sandpaper and smooth out the end of the spring (you can also use a fine metal file).

What Tempest refers to is an electronic component (inductor?) vibrating and generating the humming noise. That's also normal, and depends on the specific light and a person's hearing ability.

hcd615

Enlightened

Called SF, no problem, new tailcap on the way. It is super, super white and I turned it on high and it has been running so far on high for 1 hour 55 minutes (1:55) and going. What was the rattling noise people talked about?

hcd615

Enlightened

2 hours 16 minutes and going

Is everyone getting that out of their high setting? I thought it said on 1.5 hours?

hcd615

Enlightened

At the 2 hour 20 minute mark the light flickered about 5 times real quick and then has kept going. Now at 2 hours 33 minutes. I assume that is not the flickering problem that the light had back in July when it first came out? I attributed it to the battery about to die I assume, or is it a faulty light? I thought I read after 20, 30 90 minutes on high the light would constant flicker, mine did it a quick 5 times after 140 miuntes. I bought it at Bass Pro Shop so I assume it is new stock, not old lying around, they had a bunch of all the new CREE (high output) models.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic

At the 2 hour 20 minute mark the light flickered about 5 times real quick and then has kept going. Now at 2 hours 33 minutes. I assume that is not the flickering problem that the light had back in July when it first came out? I attributed it to the battery about to die I assume, or is it a faulty light? I thought I read after 20, 30 90 minutes on high the light would constant flicker, mine did it a quick 5 times after 140 miuntes. I bought it at Bass Pro Shop so I assume it is new stock, not old lying around, they had a bunch of all the new CREE (high output) models.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

hcd615

Enlightened

Well I did it to myself now. One of my employees came in to my office today and saw the L1. Well that was it, I was in the holiday spirit so I gave it to him. Easy come, easy go. So I just got back from Bass Pro Shop and I bought another L1. The only downfall is now this L1 is not as bright white, has a tint to it. I am totally OCD, so it bothers me a bit. If it bothers me some more soon I am going to wait until Bass Pro gets more in and give the 2nd one away, or I guess I can buy one online if I want. Does anyone else have a little tint to their light and it isnt sparkling crystal white?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

The noise when you turn the tailcap is normal. It's the spring scratching the battery. After a few turn, the battery will be scratched enough so the sound will be less audible (and you'll get a nice circle on the back of the battery). The "replacement" tailcap will probably do the same thing. About the rattling sound, my L1 had that problem. It was probably a loose component in the body and SF said it was not normal. I got a RMA, returned it and they sent me a packaged new one. The new one has no rattling problem. Both my 1st one and the replacement make the scratching sound on the battery. And it will happen for a few turn with every new battery.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I did it to myself now. One of my employees came in to my office today and saw the L1. Well that was it, I was in the holiday spirit so I gave it to him. Easy come, easy go. So I just got back from Bass Pro Shop and I bought another L1. The only downfall is now this L1 is not as bright white, has a tint to it. I am totally OCD, so it bothers me a bit. If it bothers me some more soon I am going to wait until Bass Pro gets more in and give the 2nd one away, or I guess I can buy one online if I want. Does anyone else have a little tint to their light and it isnt sparkling crystal white?

My E2L is slighly on the warm side. Both the L1 I sent for repair and the replacement I got are slightly greenish. I personally like yellowish/greenish tints! ;)

Size15's

Flashaholic

The scratching of the battery contact surface is to ensure good quality contact and is deliberately designed by SureFire.

Scottiver

Enlightened

Tell your employee (who you so graciously gave the light to) that you made a mistake and gave them the wrong light and would like to exchange it for the one that you meant to give them. I'm sure that they couldn't tell the difference and you'll both be happy.

Last edited:

luminata

Enlightened
Can I get a job there? Hell of a commute but it would be worth it to have a boss who gives his latest greatest lights to his employees:grin2:

I had an L1 with something rattling in the body . It was when they first came out with the Cree L1. Defininitely not supposed to have a rattle .Though I was upset and too vocal about it then , I realize now what a good light that L1 was once I had a replacement in hand and even though I sold it cause I was still pissed off , I now wish I hadnt. Every week there are more and more good things being said about it. Though SF can take awhile to resolve problems , when you get a good one it is very nice indeed. And it seems you can possibly run them on RCR123s? at your own risk and if they fit?