$10 Upgrade LED bulb at walmart for C and D flashlights:

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone bought one and tested it out yet? It was next to all of the maglite 3 watt led upgrades for C and D batteries.

This bulb looked like the same size and style as the $20 3 Watt maglite C or D ones.

There were 3 maglite bulbs made by maglite, sold as follows:

2 C or D

3 C or D

4 C or D

I couldn't believe my super walmart didn't sell a 3 watt bulb for the double A Mag Minis, or the even the 3 watt LED minimag. Does the 3 watt mini even come with a spare I wondered.-'

Back to the universal bulb for $10, why do you think it said it was for only C and D battery style flashlights, how would it know if you were using double A's since they are the same voltage anyways????

It even looked bigger than the stock maglite 3 watt led, but I think that was only because it had a bigger glass looking dome around it.

I should have just bought that thing, but I was afraid it might be a 1 Watt led, and now I am all mad because I forgot the name, I should have written the model number of the bulb down too, I could read all of it just fine. I think the bulbs brand was "night eyez" or something like that, correct me if you know what its called, well I am about to just go back up there, I'll report my findings back later.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look through this thread:
complete list of all LED PR flange drop-in bulbs
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178595

What you saw is probably the Dorcy or Nite-ize bulb.

They will work (but not necessary focus well) in regular 2AA/2D torches but not in a minimag (the incan uses a bi-pin bulb, spare in the tailcap; the LED module is built into the minimagLED).

Bearcat

Enlightened
It is probably closer to 1/2 watt or less. I bought one, but took it back, because it was really super dim. Someone said that the newer ones are brighter now. If the they were twice as bright, they would still be dim.:candle:

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, its a good thing I didn't buy one then.

Does anyone know if they really do make a 5 watt LED upgrade for the Mini Mag?

These people claim theirs is a 5 watt, look all the way to the left:
http://www.led-replacement.com/2aa_mini-mag.html

Someone recommended this place, but they openly admit theirs is a 3 watt:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html

The same person also recommended buying this lens upgrade too:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1329

What I really want to know is, do these upgrades really get the most out of these bulbs, everyone claims 100 lumens, does anyone know if this claim is accurate?

I am also wondering; is there a resistor you can get rid of on a minimag that might make it even brighter(sacrificing run time of course)?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want a drop-in for you Maglites, go for the Terralux Seoul/Cree Drop-ins. 2-3 Cell, 4-6 cell. You could also get a MagLED drop in and swap the LED for a Seoul P4 U bin LED, that would double the output.

Or if you are willing to spend money, Malkoffdevices will bump the output quiet a bit.

It might be 100 lumen at the LED, probably around 65 out the front(with Stock parts) if it is 100 lumens.

The minimag has no resistors. It is basically just batteries connected to a lamp wit an on-off mechanisms that also happens to contain a focusing system.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yep, you saw the NiteIze LED replacement "bulb".

MAYBE in a power outage it would be quite useful (I have one laying around here somewhere).

But in ANY ambient light it SUX!

M*gled drop in is decent. Not bleeding or even leading edge, but decent.

Save Ultra bright for overdriven incans. A 1W is a fair amount of light.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are better off buying a new light than upgrading a minimag with a drop in if you want BRIGHT.

Problem #1 - A drop in (as opposed to a sandwich) can not get rid of the heat from the module. Heat kills LEDs so the maker uses less current (run a 5 watt LED at 1 watt). That limits the brightness.

Problem #2 - In a minimag the reflector pushes down on the switch to turn the light off. With a LED module in place, the reflector pushes down on the module which pushes down on the switch. Unfortunately the reflector comes down in a twisting motion, the module twists and the pins break off. It is iimpossible to get the pins out of the socket so you lose the light as well as the module. One solution is to use an aftermarket clicky switch.

Problem #3 - Cost. By the time you buy the module, lens, switch you are out $40. For a few dollars more you can get a Fenix L2T V2.0. If you are budget minded MTE 1-stage is nice and bright. Or simply buy the minimagLED.

If you have an old minimag you want to LEDify consider the ArcMania Super MJ LED upgrade. It is probably the most cost effective upgrade for the minimag.