LRI -- Photons Now Using Nichia DS

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I take it from this clip of LRI's latest newsletter, that the Photons are now being made with Nichia DS LED. The last 2X up was when they implimented the CS version.

- 'Brightest-For-Its-Size' Photons Now 2X Brighter!! -
New for 2008, LRI has begun phasing in a new, even brighter white LED into their current production, once again making the new white Photon lights approximately 2X brighter than just about any other single-LED keychain light on the market. Just look for the "New for 2008 - 2X Brighter" text as you browse our site to designate Photon lights featuring these impressive new LEDs. The new LEDs are currently available in the Photon Micro-Light II, and select models of the Photon Freedom Micro.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I'll be buying a bushel once BatteryJunction stocks them, great to hear they finally upgraded. I use my Photons as neck-lights, my minimal EDC power just doubled.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep, this is what i've been waiting for. :party:

Glad to hear they're shipping in "marked" packages.

Originally, they said that wouldn't be the case.

Now, when will MattK get 'em in stock ?

:sold:
_

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yep, this is what i've been waiting for. :party:

Glad to hear they're shipping in "marked" packages.

Originally, they said that wouldn't be the case.

Now, when will MattK get 'em in stock ?

:sold:
_

NASA, we have a problem. After looking at the LRI website, I noticed this. I posted a concern on their message board. I have huge concerns with this.

----------

Although it's great to here that LRI has introduced the newest Nchia DS into their Photons, these statement makes me a bit uneasy.

*Please note that LRI is referring to this change as an in-line product update and neither the packaging nor the lights themselves have changed in appearance. The packaging will continue to include the same "100% Brighter" text which was added with the last increase in brightness in 2006. Once again, there is absolutely no way to tell the difference between the new and the old LEDs based on anything other than an actual side-by-side comparison of the lights in a dark room. "

I just ordered (3) Freedoms in the Black Convert edition. I'm not thrilled with the fact that I have no way of knowing that I'm getting the lights with the new LEDS. I'm even more concerned how the person at LRI who is packing my order is going to know what they're sending me.

Bryan can you comment? How does the LRI packers know what they'e packing to ensure I'm getting the new versions?

jbviau

Enlightened
Yup, after reading that paragraph on the website I went from "buy one now" mode to "wait and see" mode...

scottaw

Enlightened
I'll stick w/ my arc-aaa, they tell me what's in that. When lri gets this sorted out, then i'll bite. Not gonna jump on a DS only to get a CS

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree - I have seen too many times things get mixed up in shipment and the wrong item goes out. It has even happened when someone has said they will "make sure" the correct item gets shipped. Mistakes happen.

At least if there is a different marking you can confirm on your end that the correct item indeed did ship. There is no way of knowing if a mixup occurred - how can anyone feel comfortable with this? I cetainly would not.

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
Here's a quote from their current newsletter.

- 'Brightest-For-Its-Size' Photons Now 2X Brighter!! -
New for 2008, LRI has begun phasing in a new, even brighter white LED into their current production, once again making the new white Photon lights approximately 2X brighter than just about any other single-LED keychain light on the market. Just look for the "New for 2008 - 2X Brighter" text as you browse our site to designate Photon lights featuring these impressive new LEDs. The new LEDs are currently available in the Photon Micro-Light II, and select models of the Photon Freedom Micro.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how long they last at that brightness level and if they're still using two 2016 cells. The Fauxton's brightness doesn't last very long, although it is extremely bright for a very short time being overdriven with those two 3V coin cells.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I wonder how long they last at that brightness level and if they're still using two 2016 cells. The Fauxton's brightness doesn't last very long, although it is extremely bright for a very short time being overdriven with those two 3V coin cells.

Because these have the 2X brighter Nichia's, my intent to replace the 2xCR1016 with 1xCR2032. That should give me the same brightness my Freedom's have today, with the extended runtime.

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm keeping my order for (3) units placed.

this_is_nascar: I've also ordered the "new" Photon Freedom. Hope they at least put something for it to be distinguished from the previous Nichia CS version.

Is there any difference, recogizable by eye, from the DS to the CS (not in output, in physical form)?

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
the pessimistic view:
By the time LRI sorts this out and can guarantee a DS, the next new LED will be shipping in the new new Photon and we will be in wait 'n see mode again.

the optimist:
It's a great product as it is, so if I don't get the newest one - it's OK. Besides the 2x brighter one might lose a bit of runtime anyway.

...but I'm a flashaholic and I want the new, bright one!

Bearcat

Enlightened
It is very easy to cut and shape a new Nichia DS or better LED and install it into a Photon II yourself. It's even easier to install a new LED into the Photon Freedom, because they just plug in after you cut and shape them.

Now who has the new Nichia DS or better LEDs for sale?:)

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
There is no change to the packaging to designate the new LEDs, however currently our entire inventory of White P2's (both standard black body & camo body) and Freedom Micro's (standard black body & covert models only) feature the new LEDs. All Freedom Micro's with the colored bodies currently still have the older LED. The new LEDs have been going into all new production since sometime within the past 4-6 weeks.

Once again, there is no difference in the packaging to indicate the new LED, and LRI has already stated there will be no changes. With the last increase in brightness, the packaging was already changed to read "100% Brighter", so this designation will remain the same.

Run-time should be approximately the same. As I understand it, the gains in brightness are once again due almost entirely to an improvement in efficiency of the LEDs, so power consumption should remain the same.

Last edited:

Bearcat

Enlightened
I never leave the house without my Photon Freedom in my pocket. I can't wait to try out a Freedom with one of those new Nichia DS LEDs.:grin2: