ultrafire 602 aaa light

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2978

is this light (which i already have) just as bright on aaa as it is on 10440's? it seems that way to me but i can't compare it back to back.

when i had the kiadomain aaa 100 lumen, the kia seemed 5-10 percent brighter (although much less quality(1st batch light)) but i was comparing it to the ultrafire 602 on 10440's. i'm wondering, would there be even more of a difference when the ultrafire is on aaa's? i think not, cause it's still bright with aaa's, holds its own against my mte seoul aa. the aa seoul is maybe 20% brighter than ultrafire on aaa.

anyways, short version.
is this light just as bright with a aaa battery as it is on 10440?

Marduke

Flashaholic

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
marduke, besides you being in every thread i start, i must say we think alot alike. i have a feeling if you lived in my area we would be good friends. do you like long walks in the moonlight?

ahem... i mean let's go have a beer at hooters!

seriously, i bought that ultrafire 602c with the charger and kit, and the fenix l0d q4, and i just sat them on the charger for tomorrow. i did that very crossover thing you suggested.

however, in practice, i've recently decided to use 10440s only in the fenix, and aaa in the ultrafire. the ultrafire does not gain much brightness (to my eye anyways) and seems a waste of a lithium battery. maybe the link you provided will change my mind. we'll see

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
so runtime is 20 min for the kia and 25 for the ultrafire on aaa's

anyone know how the ultrafire runtime is on 10440s

i would assume better because of the high drain.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
marduke, besides you being in every thread i start, i must say we think alot alike. i have a feeling if you lived in my area we would be good friends. do you like long walks in the moonlight?

ahem... i mean let's go have a beer at hooters!
:crackup::crackup::crackup: :candle:

dulridge

Enlightened
so runtime is 20 min for the kia and 25 for the ultrafire on aaa's

anyone know how the ultrafire runtime is on 10440s

i would assume better because of the high drain.

My Ultrafire 602C (DX SKU 891 - i.e. not the SSC one). At 2 metres with both cells, there is a purplish core (About the size of my palm) to the beam which my camera can't capture. This is not nearly as bad as a Fenix E0. This can be fixed by slightly unscrewing the reflector to give a nice warm white hotspot, but I can see the output drop when the reflector is not fully screwed home - according to my meter, brightness drop to about 70%. This is only noticeable against a white wall. Both cells freshly removed from charger.

10440 500mAh nominal - EV7.5 at 1 metre.
Tiny movement in meter after 10 mins, but output still constant at 35 min.
Cell voltage at start 4.11.
3.79V (immediately off load) after 15 mins
3.67V after 30. Output still constant at 40 mins (Voltage 3.31).
After 42 mins output suddenly dropped to 50%. (Voltage 2.4 - recovered fast to 3V)

AAA LSD NiMH nominally 850mAh - initial voltage 1.40. EV 7.33 at 1m. Essentially there is no difference in output according to my meter - maybe 15% but my method is far from rigorous and the errors could easily exceed 15%. The NiMH is a tight fit in the barrel.
After 10 mins temperature quite a bit lower than with 10440. Output steady.
22:30 brightness at initial point
26 min output down 10%
31 min output down about 15%
34min output down 25%
36 min output at 50%, final voltage 0.95V

There would really seem to be little point in using 10440 cells with this light, which is a pity since it's what I bought them for.

Last edited:

sino

Newly Enlightened
when i had the kiadomain aaa 100 lumen, the kia seemed 5-10 percent brighter (although much less quality(1st batch light))

Are you saying that the KD aaa light (first batch) was brighter but inferior in build quality to the 602C? I ask because the 602C was reputed to have build deficiencies earlier, but maybe Ultrafire fixed these. Did you order your 602C recently? I've got a KD aaa on the way, and am wondering about ordering the 602C.

Thanks.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i think so with my two.
the first batch of kia aaa 100 lumen lights would not even fire up unless i balled up some aluminum foil.
anyone but a cpf'er would have returned that light.

before i learned that trick i had peeled the paper back.
that let it fire up, but made contact some when unscrewed, or when off, the light would flicker anyways.

never had a problem with my ultrafire plus i like the cloth keyring attachment much more than bulky hook.

however, kia is bright, i'll give it that.
and the balled up foil fix is not that big a deal.
once it's in there, it's fine.