Where can I find those Giant size glow sticks you see on T.V.?

Secur1

Enlightened
You mean the chemical one's ?

Probably in army surplus stores... Or stores that cater to search and rescue teams (coastguard, fire department etc.)

Sorry i don't have anything more specific but i hope this points you in the right direction.

Here r some sites i googled

http://elglow.en.alibaba.com/product/50367383/51826125/glow_products/12_inch_fat_glow_stick.html
http://www.breaklight.fr/?gclid=CJXZ7f23lpACFRdHZwodEi84qA
http://theepicenter.com/glowsticks_and_chemical_light_sticks.html

This last one seems to be the most promising.

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, yeah that's what I meant. Chemlights. I seen some on T.V. that were two to three feet long and at least an inch in diameter. I think it was X-files or some show like that.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen them not on TV, but the movies--think Angelina Jolie as the (first) Tomb Raider.

In real life, I haven't seen 2-3 feet, but I have seen 12" ones, which are 2x the size of the usual 6"ers.

They also "burn" much faster, in 2 hrs rather than the usual 8-12 hrs, which should mean they are much brighter.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
tygger beat me to the extreme glow link :) I haven't ordered those large ones yet, but I plan to someday! I've ordered a bunch of other stuff from them and always been very happy. Cheers to extremeglow.com! I've never seen chemical glow sticks that were any larger than their 15" ones.

DM51

Flashaholic
I believe CYALUME were the first on the market with these chemical glow-sticks.

They were an American invention, sold worldwide, in use by Special Forces, cavers, divers etc and widely copied by other manufacturers.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look to be about two-three feet long. Anybody know where to get these?

i would be guessing but i would bet the "MOVIES" take a few normal sticks, and pour the contents (carefully) into a huge acrylic tube, because they are crasy like that :) and they need a little more than a lightweight glow, to functionally have it show up as a usable light.
some special effects nut who wanted to do, what we all wanted to do, make one 10X bigger and brighter , by combining a bunch of them into one big fat one.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Krill makes an EL "light torch" that is 14" tall and runs on 6 AA's. Light sticks can be landfill fodder.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was doing some Christmas shopping at Bass Pro Shops last weekend, spotted some 24-inchers and thought of this thread. They were $9.99 each. Fishing section by the lures.

gorn

Enlightened
Krill makes an EL "light torch" that is 14" tall and runs on 6 AA's. Light sticks can be landfill fodder.

I have a couple of Krill lights and am less than happy with them. One just disintegrated while sitting on a shelf. The other is not reliable at all. Some times it works, some time it doesn't. They are a cool idea, but just don't cut it.