Need to find 1xAA or 2xAA light with 1/4" x 20 thread "tripod mount" option

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need to find 1xAA or 2xAA light with 1/4" x 20 thread "tripod mount" option

I am looking for a 1xAA or 2xAA flashlight that would accept the 1/4" x 20 thread commonly found on camera tripods. I want to be able to tripod-mount a small, bright LED flashlight for house repairs where it's difficult to get light on the subject.

The light would need reasonable spill if spot, or floody would work. For example, my Zebralight would be perfect, if it were threaded. My L2D would work well, too, if threaded. Something along these lines?

PS: The SF Titan is not an option for me, too expensive for a worklight. I'm looking in the sub-$100 range. Thanks!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need to find 1xAA or 2xAA light with 1/4" x 20 thread "tripod mount" option

I'm just about to make an adaptor, initially for small digital camera with no tripod socket, but also for torch (P3D), comprising short length of wood, with 1/4" 20 nut epoxied into a partial hole drilled into the wood.

Secured with rubber bands, camera or torch.

Previously, I've just rubber banded a torch to the pan & tilt handle.

And there's always the bean bag option.

Then of course, there is my patented ! method.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2255251#post2255251

Last edited:

saildude

Newly Enlightened

Hmmmmm....

In the interim you could take a short piece of PVC plastic pipe ( sch 80 is a bit thicker ) and drill and tap a 1/4-20 hole in the side - the PVC is so soft that any old type of tap and drill would get the job done.

Then take a bit of foam or Ensolite and use it to wedge the light in the tube.

Bit of a kludge but would be simple to do. Most any Hardware Store or a Home Despot should have the stuff you need.

mb

copperfox

Enlightened

Buy a small plate of steel, maybe 1 square inch by half an inch in height. Use scrap metal if you have it; Stainless steel or aluminum would be best. Drill and tap a hole in the center on one side that can accommodate your tripod mounting bolt. Center a segment of two sided velcro over the non-tapped side of the metal plate and secure it there with a strong epoxy. When the epoxy cures, you're all done.

This will allow you to mount any cylindrical object simply by wrapping the velcro around the object. This will work with flashlights with front emitter and side emitters.

Very crude drawing:

tripod_mount.gif

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good ideas for a mod, if it comes to that, but are there any existing flashlights out there with the 1/4 x 20 thread built in? (Other than the SF Titan?)

That's what I was hoping for...

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

And here is my final solution.....

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not bad, not bad at all. Inspirational, in fact...

RebelXTNC

Enlightened

I use a combination of parts for mounting a flashlight to a tripod or other stand.
First, a universal spring-loaded microphone clip.

UniversalMicClip6110.jpg

These are available at local musical instrument stores or online, on sale they can be as low as $2 each. If you use a mic stand for your flashlight, then you're good to go.
If your tripod or stand uses a 3/8-16 thread, then you'll need one of these:
Mic-stand thread adapter.
MicThreadAdapter7372.jpg

Most mics these days come with one of these and are rarely used in the US, so a friend may have a bunch of them. They are about $1 each.
If your tripod is for larger cameras or your mic attachment point is non-US, then this 3/8-16 adapter is all you'll need to convert from the mic-stand threads on the mic clip.
If your tripod or other stand has the smaller 1/4-20 threaded stud, then you'll also need one of these:
TripodThreadAdapter2771.jpg

It adapts from 3/8-16 down to 1/4-20. These are available at camera stores or online.
This assembly works well with a variety of flashlights and lets you mount a light almost anywhere using different clamps, stands or tripods.
AAA lights will probably slip through this universal mic adapter, but most AA and CR123 lights are just right for it.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Walmart has a 3xAAA light that comes with a tripod, and can do just that. There is also this one, but it's CR123. Would a headlamp work better for your hands free needs?

pipspeak

Enlightened

I would think that one of the bike mounts (the fenix one looks ncie and adjustable) could be adapted as a work mount with far less trouble.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened

IMG_8553lowrestripodclipv17721.jpg

Tripod Mount like the OP wanted, except using a 2xCR123 light.

I think for the lowest cost that's not homemade, allowing the greatest range of easy adjustment, and holding many different types of premium or oddly shaped flashlights, the mic clip is my choice for mounting to tripods, stands or other threaded clamps.

IMG_8552lightstandcliplowresv17815.jpg

Lightstand Mounted.

IMG_8555lowresboomarmclipv14747.jpg

Mic Boom-Arm Mounted.

This clip can also be attached to generic tubular shapes, using the correct clamp.