Fenix T1 clip position - does it touch the logo on your light?

markfinn

Newly Enlightened
Got my T1 yesterday, and I'm really impressed by the quality in terms of

-optics: very clean, well centered and much better than seen on any Fenix light before

-brightness: wow! this thing is easily outshining a P3DQ5 on turbo (big difference for just 10 lumens on paper, I guess the P3DQ5 is in the minus tolerance and my T1 on plus?)

-beam quality: I can only confirm what is said here already, very nice hot spot with nice spill, bright neutral white

However, what bothers me, is the position of the clip relative to the Fenix engraving (flat area) on the tube.
If I set my T1 to general mode, the tip of the clip is half way touching the lower part of the flat area, scratching it even harder when changing to turbo.
A little difficult to describe, let me try it that way: If you hold the T1 horizontally, head pointing to the left & text readable, the clip on mine is below the Fenix T1 logo. Sooner or later the 'x' will be worn because of scratching when changing modes. On turbo it's OK, clip completely on the knurled part.

In WadeF's pictures

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/181629

the clip is far away from the logo, and even when switching modes it does not come even near to that.
:confused:
Is that only a problem on my T1, just a production tolerance in the position of the threads, or have others found that as well?

Besides that I don't need the clip at all, I wish it would be positioned opposite to the flat area.

Markus

djblank87

Enlightened
I just ordered a T1 from the hound a few minutes ago and can't wait to get it. From what I read in here with the reviews the clip does rub, but I'm sure there is something I can do to fix such a small problem.

We will see with all the collective minds in here someone will find a solution to the T1 clip problem soon.

I hope this sucker is bright, the brighter the better for me.

Also you can do what powernoodle did and just break the darn clip off.

Last edited:

markfinn

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't mind if it scratches the tube a bit on the rough part, but I don't like that it will even destroy the Fenix T1 logo over time. That will not just look 'used', but ugly.

And yes, did I say it's bright :grin2:

Markus

djblank87

Enlightened
I can't wait to get it and see for myself, I'm sure it is plenty bright but beamshots are one thing compared to the naked eye.

Either way I'm sure it will do good as an on duty pocket light. Primary role will be as a back up light only. Now the long two day waiting game which really is three since I ordered it today.....:shakehead

jugg2

Enlightened
I just got mine, and all I can say is WOW! But about the clip, mine is almost the oposit of the clip in Wade's pics. The clip is located on the knurling below the T-1 logo. I think if you remove the head and reinstall it it may "grab" at a different point, and the end result will be the clip in a different location. I will try and see what happens.

Nope, I was wrong. The threads are machined where they always start at a certain point so you always end up at a certain point. I guess that point varies from light to light...

Last edited:

Enlightened
The clip on my T1 is on the opposite side of the barrel from the logo. The T1 has rapidly become my favorite light. Great ergonomics, great quality, built like a tank and very bright with a very nice, useful beam.

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
my T1 has the clip above the logo
it was very tightly grabbing onto the body , but i bent it out so it doesnt do that anymore... well i bent it out too far , so i removed the head entirely and bent it back so it just floats over the body... now it feels like its made in the USA, not made in China...

Saiga

Enlightened
Mine has the clip exactly opposite the logo,which,it seems to me, is where it should be. Also, i did like a couple others have, and carefully pulled the clip away from the body till it rests just off the light. This took a couple tries,as it's pretty strong and i realizied if i went to far, i was screwed. So take it slow.

Arizona_Dan

Newly Enlightened
...it was very tightly grabbing onto the body , but i bent it out so it doesnt do that anymore...

FWIW, my clip rests entirely on knurling, both modes. I did same as carmatic with the clip. Did it in increments to sneak up on the desired gap without "over-gapping." Because of its "memory," it tended to spring back towards original position just a little each time, but seems to be holding OK after three or four incremental attempts.

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, my clip rests entirely on knurling, both modes.

the torch is in the high setting in the pic, turning the clip further away from the flat part with the logo will make it run in the low setting...
to me the clip and the flat part is integral to using the light, if i was given another T1 i'd probably not get used to it at all after the time ive spent with this particular torch...

markfinn

Newly Enlightened
I finally bent the clip like others did, now it just slightly touches the tube.
Taking a Dremel to solve this is almost no option for me, don't like 'destroying' things ... Still wonder why all other T1s I have seen until now have the clip on the opposite side.
Anyway, it's such a great light, makes me forget about the clip :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
On the T1 I have, the clip is 1/3 of a turn away from the logo when on high (looks like the pics WadeF posted), and about 1/4 of a turn when in the low mode.

Those of you waiting for it and wondering how bright it is - you'll be blown away by its brightness. Not even the P3D Q5 is as bright.

djblank87

Enlightened
On the T1 I have, the clip is 1/3 of a turn away from the logo when on high (looks like the pics WadeF posted), and about 1/4 of a turn when in the low mode.

Those of you waiting for it and wondering how bright it is - you'll be blown away by its brightness. Not even the P3D Q5 is as bright.

Thanks greenLED and your review was a great one :thumbsup: Hopefully Monday it gets here......I'm still in a holding patteren :faint::shakehead.

djblank87

Enlightened
My T1 has arrived not 15 minutes ago :clap:..........I dropped in some AW RCR123's and she is running great.

It is bright, not :aaa:bright but more like :drool:bright from such a small light. I will take it to work tonight and see how the T1 looks and then take it to the range Tuesday and she how it does there.

I'm thinking it's beamshot time again...........I will take some tonight and get them up tomorrow..............:thumbsup:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
my T1 has the clip above the logo
it was very tightly grabbing onto the body , but i bent it out so it doesnt do that anymore... well i bent it out too far , so i removed the head entirely and bent it back so it just floats over the body... now it feels like its made in the USA, not made in China...

nice background ;)

fa__

Newly Enlightened
Its the heatshrink tube which is good, not me :) : it's a low temp shrink, so it's easier to fit perfectly (and it's quite thin)