LED Flashlight That Look Incandescent

lightemittingharry

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody here found any LED flashlights that have an incandescent coloring? I like the LEDs endurance, however I prefer the familiar glow of the old bulbs.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody here found any LED flashlights that have an incandescent coloring? I like the LEDs endurance, however I prefer the familiar glow of the old bulbs.

Haven't seen one myself yet, but most people here says that the Rebel has a superior warm tint, better color renditioning and looks more like an incan.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Thats what most of us are looking for! When led lights have color renditioning like incan lights, the incan light probably will be obsolete!

Zenster

Enlightened
Thats what most of us are looking for! When led lights have color renditioning like incan lights, the incan light probably will be obsolete!

In my house, the incan is already obsolete.

I like being ahead of the curve. :naughty:

brage

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix L2D Rebel 100 has a tint that is pretty close to an incand. The same goes for the L1T Rebel 80. But a normal incand (like a Maglite) is still a bit warmer.

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
what im looking for myself is not just the colour of the beam when you shine it at a white surface, but how well it shows different colours... this is one area where incandescents are still better at than LED's, like white leds are actually giving off yellow and blue at the same time, it looks white when you shine it at a piece of paper or in a room with white walls, but take it into the real world and all you get is a cold grayscale look... this is especially obvious when your around vegetation, most of the wavelengths of light which some LED's produce happens to be the wavelengths absorbed by chlorophyll in the leaves of plants...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What you are looking for is a Warm White LED light.

Besides those, the Rebels seem to have the warmest tint and best color rendering.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I don't think any of the current generation LED's look anything like an Incan.
Norm

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
What you are looking for is a Warm White LED light.
aahh... do alot of LED's fall into the category of 'warm white' ? i remember my first LED torch, bought it cuz it saved on batteries, and it was an ugly blue tint which was useless out in the woods.... im guessing that luxeon leds in general are quite warm, when i got my ministar extreme it was a world's difference away from the hard blue light of the cheap leds
i guess one way to get the incandescent look (right down to its brightness and artifacts) is like, to make some kind of filter which goes in front of the window or something and colours and patterns the light... the runtime will still be LED, but now youve got some nostalgic looking light output??

Last edited:

Bonky

Banned
not a flashlight but the other day I saw a blinking LED on an electrical wall appliance and the light given off from the LED was beige colored. I had to do a double-take. Never seen anything like it.

SemiMan

Banned
If you are willing to live with low efficiency, i.e. maybe 30 lumens/watt and not a lot of output, and do not need a super tight spot, then you could modify any flashlight made for a Lux-1 with a Lux-1 warm white. Unlike most of the warm whites on the market now, it is a dual phosphor warm white. It is around 3,000Kelvin and has >90 CRI. It is probably the quickest you are going to get to what you want with today's technology. Hopefully somone will create a similar LED with modern die technology. That would still only be 50-60 lumens/watt best case, but it may be what you are looking for.

Semiman

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the ledmuseum.com spectra pages -- you can compare the spectrum of sunlight, incandescent bulbs, and LEDs. You'll see most all white LEDs (like fluorescents) have a very high output in the blue, then a drop and a wide lower output range through the rest of the visible range. And the more they're overdriven to be brighter, the stronger that blue spike gets. As with fluorescents, the main color produced is the short wavelength and that's captured by a phosphor that re-emits some energy in longer wavelength 'warmer' colors. The more phosphors the more colors (some high color rendering fluorescents use four different phosphors to cover the range).

I don't know of any LEDs that use multiple phosphors but I expect there are some. Again ledmuseum would be the place. Look for the name here too.

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
I know one flashlight manufacturer in particular will be launching these in 2008

85+CRI, 3300K LED, 100+ lumens

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Carmatic,

You may find this thread informative...

Excellent color rendition, decent throw, reasonable run time, all rolled into a very nice usable package.

Tom

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rebels are slightly warmer than most crees i have, but they are still cool white. If you want incad like color, you need warm white led.

Photo taken with white balance set on daylight.
from left: fenix l2d premium 100, 3W halogen, 5W warm white led.
little_boy_barvy.jpg

scottaw

Enlightened
Well, i personally find incans to look very yellow anymore, but when i had my ML-1 built, i told Milky that i wanted the best color rendition possible, so i got a seoul uswoh and when i turn it on outside, things look the same colors they do in daylight. Grass is a nice green, fall leaves have the right shades of red and yellow. I think it's a lot better to my eyes than my incans.

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
To me, it looks like both LED and Incan light have peaks in one point of the spectrum. They only differ by where they peak.

I remember when I first saw those 5mm led flashlights, I thought they had horrible tint. Then after these CREEs and Rebels came out, I thought that's a great improvement. Now after owning several of these LED lights, I happened to pick up my 3D Mag and thought 'Wow', look how far these LEDs have come. I don't even like the incans anymore...they peak at too low of the spectrum.