Lights on Ebay?

1011Tristar

Newly Enlightened
Buffalo, NY & Franklin, MA (Boston 'burb)
I'm a fan of Inova T series lights, and once in a while I find one on ebay for a pretty good price. What I don't know is whether or not they're real, or counterfeit. Does anyone know if there's a problem with counterfeit Inova lights?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Without already being familiar with the brand already, it's very difficult, especially when you don't have it in your hands to look at.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Found an example. This light is a counterfeit Inova X5. Look closely between it's pictures and a stock picture and you will see the difference. The light being sold is an Xnova.

kavvika

Enlightened
^ I'm not too sure about that one. It looks a lot like a first-gen X5. Now this, on the other hand, is an Inova look-a-"light" i.e., a Xnova. And AFAIK, all the Xnova lights used AA or AAA batteries, not CR123A's like the light in the auction that you linked to.

Last edited:

Pyzon

Newly Enlightened
Just like you should with any eBay seller, pay attention to the feedback others have left. Only problem is most buyers of "higher end" flashlights, legit or copies wouldn't know or care about the differences. Lastly send the seller an email asking if their item is legit or counterfeit, and what their policy is regarding returns if you are dissatisfied. My bet is the counterfeiters will fail to reply. If it is too cheap to be true, count on it to be a scam.

Illum

Flashaholic
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/93113
heres an old thread with still fresh pics....this is probably the closest clone I've ever seen regarding the X5...read the whole thread and it will give you a few good tips to look for....upon arrival anyway :rolleyes:
like the emissive energy stamp on the rubber boot, copper piston in the battery compartment, that sort of thing

Inova series have been a bit outdated and therefore mostly [sadly] disregarded on the forum....with the exception of the X1 [2nd gen] and X5 [all gens]

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
^ I'm not too sure about that one. It looks a lot like a first-gen X5. Now this, on the other hand, is an Inova look-a-"light" i.e., a Xnova. And AFAIK, all the Xnova lights used AA or AAA batteries, not CR123A's like the light in the auction that you linked to.

On further consideration, it might be a 2nd generation (1st gen didn't have a momentary switch).