So many battery types, limiting my options?

MstrHnky

Enlightened
I'm just starting out my collection and noticed all three of my lights take different battery types.

Lowes Task Force Cree: 2 x C batteries
Aurora WF-600 Q5 2-Mode Cree: 1 x 18650 2500mAh 3.7V
JetBeam CL-E v2: 1 x AA

I want to get the most out of my JetBeam, so I'll probably be looking at some Eneloops unless you can suggest something better for my incoming CL-E v2.

With the cost of these "special" batteries being pretty significant, I want to make sure my next few lights can use them too, and spread the cost around somewhat.

What other battery types are there for high performance options?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
90% of my lights run on 123's or AA's. I dont do rechargeable Li-Ions (mainly due to not wanting to invest in them, overall--which is funny considering how many 123's I go thru).

Most of my non 123 or AA lights are rechargeables; I.E. Streamlights, etc.

Just for convenience, I'm starting to get more interested in AA powered lights, and with the technological advances, AA lights are becoming serious hi-output tools.

--dan

jugg2

Enlightened
Well I would say the most popular high performance battery is the CR123A primary. But there are rechargeable versions as well...

Marduke

Flashaholic
I prefer AA's for their versatility. You can get lithium primary AA's for the same price or cheaper than CR123's and still get long storage and heat/cold resistance, can use the cheaper and safer NiMH, or plain old alkalines in a pinch (even scavenged from remote controls, clocks, etc. if needed). Some AA lights can even take 14500's if you're so inclined to get that extra kick in a small package. Even run across some 1xCR123/2xAA combo lights for even more versatility.

In the end, it's personal preference based off what you have, what your uses are, etc.

MstrHnky

Enlightened
i bought these 18650's for $9
and this charger for $6.64

i don't mind paying for rechargeable batteries knowing that they will pay for themselves over time. if possible, i look for things that are rechargeable - logitech harmony 720 universal remote, xbox 360 battery pack, etc., premium upfront price, but saves money over the long run.

i'm not against AAA, AA, CR123, C, D, but they usually seem to give the worst performance/run times vs NiMh, 18650, etc.