Brinkmann 4 LED Rebel

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I spotted a Brinkmann 4 LED Rebel at Super Wally world today in the sporting goods section. It's just under $20.00, runs on 2 D size alkalines (included in package) and it gives you the option of switching from 2 LEDs to 4 by rotating the head. I didn't purchase it (may have to go back) but, has anyone checked these out yet?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Crap, there's no Wall-Mart anywhere I can get to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I was at a Fred Meyers a couple of weeks ago looking for a 6-cell Mag (to drop a mod bulb into), and didn't see anything like this new Rebel in their flashlight aisle or in the camping/sporting goods sections. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The W-M here did not have it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cos, what part of the planet are you located in? Your location that you give is kinda vague.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been hoping Brinkman would introduce some new multi-LED lights. Though their lights are hardly "high-end", we shouldn't forget that it was perhaps the Brinkman Longlife LED that brought LED flashlights into the mainstream. My family still uses them on a regular basis

I'm not real happy that the new 4 LED light is a 2 D-cell design. IMHO LED is all about compact light. I'd have much preferred to see an AA model. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
The W-M here did not have it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cos, what part of the planet are you located in? Your location that you give is kinda vague.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy, I am currently marooned in Western Georgia, but the Super Walmart I went to is right across the state line in Alabama. The had 4 in stock when I went, so hopefully they'll have some left when I go back tomorrow.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like it's time for a trip to Wally World for me. I wonder if the ones here in Colorado have them? I'll let you all know as soon as I find out. Thanks for all the info.

-Mike

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I'll check one store for sure tomorrow! And since another is only about 15 minutes from that one I'll probably check two!

Sounds cool! Is it aluminum or plastic?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same material as the 2AA Rebel, ABS plastic and rubber.

I just came back from Wally world with one of the 2D Brinkmann Rebels. It's just a tiny bit bigger than a 2D cell Mag and despite the plastic construction, it feels robust and is quite a handful. Unlike the 2AA Rebel, the on/off switch is on the barrel, not the tailcap and you can stand the 2D Rebel on it's tail end. On the base of the head there are small markers (2 dots for 2 LED and 4 dots for 4 LED) and you can rotate the head to align the dots with the push botton switch to select the number of LEDs you want to use. The switch also has a silent feature (for signaling) or for momentary use when you don't want to hear the clicking sound of the switch, just like the other Brinkmann LED lights. The package advertises it as water & shock resistant.

Now, onto the light output. The beam is narrow, just like the Brinkmann Long Life LED and the 2AA Rebel, but it is much much brighter. There are also rings around the edges, like the other LED Brinkmanns. I compared the light output to several other lights I own (Lightwave 2000, CMG Reactor, Inova X5, Inova X5T) and because of the Brinkmann's focused narrow beam, it appears brighter. The lens looks to be some sort of acrylic with 4 spots to increase the magnification of the each LED bulb. It has a smooth mirror finished reflector like the other Brinkmanns. I don't know who was responsible for designing this light, but because of it's overall size and the fact that it runs off of 2 D size alkaline batteries, it is quite a waste of space for 4 LEDs (in my opinion). Oh well.

I don't know much about the expected battery life yet, so I'll have to report back on that at a later time. I don't have a digital camera, but let me see if I can scan the package and the light and post some pics.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Okay, bear with my guys while I attempt this.

Here's a pic of the package (front side):

238398-030313072106.jpg

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Here is yet another size comparison (Note the LED indicator above the on/off switch).

238404-030313082409.jpg

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that Brinkman won't end up in my collection. Just too darn big. Would have preferred something more like this 4AA 10LED light from Brunton. Anyone have one of these or know where to get one?
eg_10LED_handtorch.jpg

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Ron, I agree with you. It's way too big for a 4 LED light. I'm undecided as to whether I should keep it or not. It feels good in the hand, very easy to operate and is bright enough, but it's a huge waste of space for just 4 LEDs.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
A couple weeks runtime though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve_vance

Enlightened
Craig want me to see if I can pick one up out here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
RonM,as far as I can tell (and I bought one - liked it, but used it for a gift) "this" is it. The seller "goldenpsx" has been mentioned here on the Forums before. I've bought several items from him/her and have been satisfied. He sells the line "made my 'Nuwai'(?)" and I'm sure they also make the Streamlight Keymate as well as the Sparkplug LED torch. I think there's a group buy being organized for te 123 rechargeable model they make.

What's Brunton asking for it after they put their name on it? I see Cabelas is also slapping their name on some of them.