Best UV LED?

ewick

Enlightened
I'm trying to figure out what my best option is for a UV LED. I know Arc has a UV model available, but I would rather have a drop-in kit (think Madmax, Opalec, Inretech, etc.) if possible. All recommendations appreciated...thanks in advance.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I know that Inretech makes a UV drop-in for 3-cell (C or D) Mags, and CPF member "AB" is making a UV flashlight using a Garrity Glow Lite body & a step-up bulb. The Inretech bulb has 20 LEDs and is made to screw into a Mag, replacing the original bulb and collar, while AB's mod comes ready to use, requiring you to only install the included AA cells in the flashlight body.

Both of these use Cree 395-405nm near-ultraviolet LEDs.

ab

Enlightened
Inretech's drop-in module is a very powerful UV source that gets mounted in a reasonably large flashlight. It is an excellent product. If you want something a little smaller in size there is also the AB UV Glo-Lite that Craig mentioned:

AB UV Glo-Lite: 2AA dc/dc SE Ultraviolet LED self-energizing glow body - *beamshots!*

I also have some LedLenser V8's that I have been hotrodding with Nichia S-rank white LEDS and also with UV LEDs. (not the same dc/dc stepup version in the AB UV Glo-Lite)

I have just one pair left of these revved-up LedLensers at the really much-too-cheap price of $20 for the pair, airmail included to anywhere. I'll happily install UV LEDs in them for you instead of the Nichias if you like, or just do one, or both, etc.

Here's a link to my post over on B/S/T:

UPDATE - LedLensers revved up at the AB Workshop!

Thanks! (hope this reply wasn't too commercial!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A.

p.s. - the Royal Blue Luxeons also have good output down into the UV range. Not as short a wavelength but very intense. If you are looking to charge glow-powder, etc. they are also a good choice. Here's a link to the royal blue beam colour:

AB Workshop ARC Greys in the ARC Grey Showcase...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I skimmed over the posts and didn't see mention of the new Inova X5T UV torch. It's around $70-$75, but of course has 5 LEDs. Saw it mentioned somewhere here on the Forums and also found one on eBay.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Royal Blue Luxeon mod from Dat2zip (Wayne), it pumps out some serious (almost blinding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif) UV on top of some really powerful blue light. It's quite a broad spectrum, but if you need a good amount of visible light along with the UV, it's a good choice. If you want less or no visible light, it's best to go with an LED with a more discreet wavelength.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not all FL dyes/inks are affected by the Royal Blue, my chemist friend Leo made some nice FL dyes/inks for me; and most of them do not react to the Royal-Blue, but only the 395nm Light we have

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ewick said:
I'm trying to figure out what my best option is for a UV LED. I know Arc has a UV model available, but I would rather have a drop-in kit (think Madmax, Opalec, Inretech, etc.) if possible. All recommendations appreciated...thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ewick,

Why not make your own. Couple of real easy ways to do it. Get a SL Stylus 3-AAAA version, white or blue and change the led. Another cheap easy way is to purchase some cheap keychain lights from your local dollar store and replace the led, just make sure they start out as white, blue or green so they will 2 3volt cells in them. Wanna get fancy? Buy a Brinkmann 3 cell AA and direct replace the Bi-pin bulb with the UV led. Now comes the best part. Awhile back I bought 100 390 nm 5mm leds on e-bay. I have about 93 left. If you would like to send me your address in a seperate e-mail I will send you a few to play with. Please state in the e-mail that you are aware of the dangers to vision and you know not to look directly into them.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
What do you want to do with it? I initially wanted to "check one out", so I got a keychain one for $5 from CountyComm (scroll down). Then I picked up an ARC AAA UV which throws a stronger, broader beam.

ewick

Enlightened
First, thanks to everyone for all the help!

Sigman,
Primarily I need something to check hunting clothes to make sure they are free of UV dyes. Other than that, it will make another great gadget to play with...

N162E,
Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't know where to start! Unfortunately, my electronics skills are such that I might as well whittle myself a UV LED from a pine knot.

ab,
The LedLensers sound about right, but I'm under the impression that you're now out of stock. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The Glo-Lite looks like a good candidate too. What's the peak wavelength for both lights? Thanks...

I'd like to spend as little as possible on this, but I'm willing to spend *enough* to get something that isn't a piece of junk. Not sure about the best wavelength for this application (laundry detergent UV dye); maybe someone out there knows the answer to this one. I'm not really concerned with visible light.

ab

Enlightened
The UV LedLenser might just be the small and convenient unit that you want for this application. The UV LED in it has a peak around 405 nm and is quite dim to the unaided eye. This might be just what you're looking for and I have one more single unit left - there is some promotional engraving on it but if you can live with that...

Alternately, I also offer the AB UV Glo-Lite in a Mag 2C body. No glow-in-the-dark body of course, but the same UV source with dc/dc stepup, etc. This is a nice light because it can focus from a wash of UV down to an intense spot.

I'll drop you a PM and we can discuss further.

Thanks!

A.