L1D-CE or L2D Q5? Your opinions please

fleetparadox

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, as my member status suggests... I'm "un-enlightened." Thus I need your help.

I'm trying to decide between the:

1) L1D CE
or
2) L2D Q5 (originally was considering the CE version but then saw the prem. model)

[The dark horse in this race might be a Princeton EOS w/ Seoul P4 Mod. Would this be comparable to the two L1/2D Fenix lights?]

I'm familiar with the most Basic elements of the different products.

a. One is 1xAA, the other is 2xAA
b. They're both already very bright and efficient emitters - but the Q5 model's "turbo mode" puts out twice as many lumens as the L1D CE.
c. The Q5 is an upgrade of the Cree XR-E

Some of my quandaries are:

a. Are there any disadvantages that the Q5 has versus the CE version? Seems brighter and more efficient according to the specs.
b. ANY technical information that a non-flashaholic (working on it) would not know...
c. Personal preferences and opinions on EDC between the two models? (doesn't have to be Q5 versus CE, opinions on L1D and L2D are fine)

On a side note, what is the difference between the two L1D CE versions listed at Fenix-store?? One says "black textured" while the other says "RB80 Black"? The titles both say CE but I'm guessing the XR-E is better than the Rebel emitter? A little confused here.

Like I mentioned... ANY information would be helpful and appreciated. (nothing is too trivial) Thank you very much for your time.

Happy Holidays!

gnef

Enlightened
i think you have the basics down. the CE designation means it is a Cree XR-E emitter. if they just have the 'CE', it is a P4 bin (unless they have been slowly updating those as well), and the Q5, well, it is a Q5 bin. the Q5 is significantly more efficient than the earlier P4, which was more efficient than the luxeons used before.

you are correct with the RB80/100 designation, they are Rebel emitters, with the 80 or 100 representing their lumen ratings at 350ma, i believe (i'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.

as far as EDC, it depends on how you EDC. i personally prefer pocket carry. for pocket carry, i could only recommend the L1D. I feel the L2D is too long for a pocket. I currently pocket carry a P3D, and that is already on the large side and pretty much my limit. the L2D is even longer than that.

if you belt carry, the L2D would be more reasonable, albeit still too long for my personal preference. you may want to search around for pictures of a lineup with all the lights.

like you said though, the L2D will be significantly brighter. I guess the real question is what is your intended use for the flashlight you are looking to purchase?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There is also the Fenix PowerPack with a P2D-CE Q5, L1D body+ tailcap and a diffuser. $67 and change if you use the 8% off coupon at Fenix Store, "CPF8". The you could also purchase the L2D body if you want 2 AA.

There are no real disadvantages of the Q5 besides the price(Not really a upgrade, just a higher bin).

The Rebel LEDs have been known to have a better color rendering and warmer tint then the Cree emitters.

:welcome:

fleetparadox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Guys for the quick replies.

So the higher bin does... what? Gunner, you mention it not being a true "upgrade" but it is brighter and more efficient? sorry, lost me.

I guess my ideal EDC would be a 1 x AA in the form of a L1D but I'm really wanting to try out the "best and newest" in terms of the Q5 emitter. That Powerpack sounds inviting, would it be a decent value since it's much more expensive than the L1D CE? (but it does come with an 'extra' P2D body I guess) My question is, is the Q5 worth the extra bit of $?

My preference would be the L series due to the convenience of rechargeable AA batteries instead of the CR123s. Hence I'm avoiding the P series.

The L1D and L2D state the same head assembly but one has 90 lumens versus the 180 of the other... is the difference 2x brighter?

Are the two L1D CE versions different at the Fenix-store? One is Rebel one is Cree? Which one is better?

Thanks again.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Our eyes aren't linear. You will notice a big difference but it might not seem 2X brighter by eye. The driver can't draw enough power form a single AA battery to power Turbo to it's fullest(high and turbo on the L1D-CE is pretty much identical).

There are 2 L1Ds at Fenix Store, the Cree XR-E P4 bin on and a Luxeon Rebel 80 one.

The output differences of the Rebel and Cree have been stated above. The Rebel also has a 4x smaller foot print then the Cree but that doesn't really matter unless you plan on modding the light(the rebel will be much harder to solder). The Rebel also has a lower Vf then the Cree XR-E LED.

Bin codes here.

From what I understand, a LED maker tests each LED for(at least) tint and efficiency/output at a certain current. More efficient/brighter LEDs go into a higher bin(Q5,R2 vs P4). There might have been improvements in the manufacturing process that will make a LED brighter/more efficient.

That didn't make too much sense. I think want I was trying to say was the LED are made using the same process(From what I know) so the Q5 are brighter but they don't have a new "part" that makes them more efficient(In my mind, an upgrade includes a new/improved part, might be the wrong definition).

Someone else who actually understands this better please explain.

fleetparadox

Newly Enlightened
Ah I think I understand now. The Q5 is simply a better quality version of the P4. Same model, same manufacturer just a better variation of the same product.

So the two L1D CE models at Fenix-store are similar in performance? With the Rebel having a warmer tint and lower vf but is harder to mod...?

Sorry for the mass amount of questions. I just want to be clear before I put in my order.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
rebel wil (generally) give a warmer light color and no Cree Rings (thats white-wall-hunting, but ...) else there is no difference.

I doubt the L1 still have "only" a P4 in it: this bin was the brightest about one year ago, then the L2D/P Models switched to Q2 and now to Q5.
I would think there are also "Q"s inside the little brother, maybe not the latest Q5, but Qs
(if someone with a very new L1D could check if there are four wires inside the led - thats a "Q" then)

but: the difference is more inside the brain, or not?
Sure give me the brightest bin available, but really a noticeable difference? Only if both lights run side by side

more current, thats something You can see:
L2D: larger, easier for the circuit, brighter
L1D: EDC, circuit cant provide enough current, single cell gives up earlier, less bright

tobushomme

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

if you use Ni-Mh rechargables go for the L1D CE. It is deffenitly bright enough for almost any task. But it sucks with alkalines: The light goes out of regulation almost instantly (means it grows darker with time - no more constant). otherwise it is a great light. very handy. fits right into my fist. i got one for my wife some months ago.

the Q5's are brighter. no question. but i think it not worth the money.

I prefere the white of the CREE over the yellow of the rebels.

I sell LED-flashlights, so I have plenty of rebels and q5s and stuff, but I sill use a L2D CE and a Surefire G2 LED.

Take care

gnef

Enlightened
i think perhaps the best compromise for you could be to purchase the L2D Q5, plus a spare L1D body. that way you could stay with the higher bin, and you can use whichever AA body you want to use for your purpose.

if money is an issue for you, and you don't mind purchasing used/refurbished lights, there is a thread in the dealers section by fenix-store/trevornasko selling the older models (some Q2 binned lights even) for very good deals. he will be posting more lights on monday, so if you are quick you could catch a good deal or two. (i was only quick enough to get one light so far)

Wolverine

Newly Enlightened
i think perhaps the best compromise for you could be to purchase the L2D Q5, plus a spare L1D body. that way you could stay with the higher bin, and you can use whichever AA body you want to use for your purpose.

if money is an issue for you, and you don't mind purchasing used/refurbished lights, there is a thread in the dealers section by fenix-store/trevornasko selling the older models (some Q2 binned lights even) for very good deals. he will be posting more lights on monday, so if you are quick you could catch a good deal or two. (i was only quick enough to get one light so far)

I'm interested in the P2D Q5 as well... But I have the L2D Q5 already... Is it possible to interchange the bodies? If so, I'll go ahead and order a P2D body to get that option to carry a smaller light but similar abilities.

Thanks!

Fred

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Older thread,

But yes, the P2D body does work with the L2D head. The L1D body works with the L2D head too.

The P2D, L1D, L2D have the same circuit in the head.

The L1/2T V2.0's head and bodies also work with the L1D, L2D, and P2D.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start with either one. Plenty of time to pick up the entire Fenix AA lego set. I've got the L1Tv2r80, L2D100, and the L2Tv2 Q2 so far.

Veto

Newly Enlightened
I have the L1D, L2D and P2D bodies and P4 and Q5 heads L2D P4 + PowerPack Q5 Purchases. I have found that my L1D has become my faithful companion and is with me at almost all times powered by a Eneloop.

Part of the reason it is with me at almost all times instead of the P2D is due to my decision to go with AA's as my mobile battery due to availability and commonality with my other gadgets. The other reason is I find I rarely need a turbo + Q5 + 123 volumes of light outside of showing off.

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fleetparadox!

I own P2D RB100 and over the last year I've ended up buying the spare bodies to convert it into an L1D and L2D for various reasons. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, but because the same head will work on multiple bodies it's a great system!

P2D Advantages:
* Very Small in the pocket
* Same brightness on Max of the L2D (very bright!)

P2D Disadvantages:
* A little too small to comfortably use in most men's hands in a tactical-style grip (it's about 1/4 inch too short)
* Less run time then the L2D (same runtimes at the L1D)

L2D Advantages:
* Takes standard AA cells
* Same brightness on Max as the P2D (very bright!)
* Some people prefer the extra length of a 2AA light.
* Longest Runtimes (roughly double the P2D or L1D)

L2D Disadvantages:
* A bit too long for unobtrusive pocket carry
* Runtimes suffer using alkaline batteries above medium setting (Lithium or Rechargeables are great though)

L1D Advantages:
* Perfect size for tactical-style use (at least for my meat-hooks)
* Small in the pocket
* Same brightnesses on Low, Med and High modes as L2D and P2D
* Takes standard AA cells

L1D Disadvantages:
* Less run time then the L2D (same runtimes at the P2D)
* Max mode is not significantly brighter than High mode
* Runtimes suffer using alkaline batteries above medium setting (Lithium or Rechargeables are great though)

My advice:

If you want to have a small pocketable light that has a lot of "wow" factor, get the P2D and buy $1 CR123 cells from an online retailer. The P2D is damn impressive.

If you absolutely want to stick to AA cells then you have to choose between small size and brightness/runtime. I use the L1D with rechargables most of the time because it's more comfortable to use than the P2D and still fits in my pocket. But when I mountain bike I strap the L2D to my helmet for the extended runtime. I rarely use the Max mode in real world situations.

If you want the best of both then buy one and get an extra body for the others. (I'm not sure if you can buy spare bodies for the P2D, so take that into consideration).

As far as RB80/100 and Q5's... I feel like the Q5 has a slight greenish tint and does tend to have more rings, but you'll never notice it out in the real world. You're also very unlikely to notice the difference in brightness between the two in the real world either - but YOU will KNOW it's not as bright in your head... the question is whether that will bug you or not.

Bottom line: They are all excellent flashlights and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

But be aware - once you buy one you'll sudenly find you'll want another, and another, and pretty soon you'll be a known as a flashlight geek and people will tease you about it a bit.

Well, they'll tease you about it until they end up in a dark spot...
:grin2:

Last edited: