cl1h and dbs light-review.com ?

llljamesjrlll

Newly Enlightened
well was about to take the plunge and buy me a deree light and i see light-review.com . now not sure what to do . it shows the cl1h 2sd with poor regulation and lower output then i figured it would put out . now the review does say that there review does conflict with deree spec so could have gotten a bad one ? but then i see there dbs review and shows barely 1 hour on high . deree spec 1.4 hour .
i dont understand that at all specially since its the same q5 2sd pill . so the regulation should be the same ? with the difference being only brightness cause of the much bigger reflector on the dbs .
does anyone who has these lights taken lux readings on the cl1h? i can find plenty of pics . will check through the posts to find user lux readings . any other info from those that own these lights would be greatly appreciated . finishing my research today so i can order a light and recieve before i take my trip to michigan during christmas week.

llljamesjrlll

Newly Enlightened
forgot to post what i was looking for in a light . well regulated for 18650 .choices tiablo a8 or either one of the deree lights . light up 2-300ft very well .

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It seems like you would want a Dereelight DBS. The regulation of the 2D module on high seems to be pretty good.

He did say that the tested Dereelignt CL1H module was a bit defective so that might not have been the true performance.

Zenster

Enlightened
forgot to post what i was looking for in a light . well regulated for 18650 .choices tiablo a8 or either one of the deree lights . light up 2-300ft very well .

The Tiablo A8 is specifically regulated to work best with 18650's so that's a good choice, but in order to use it with CR123's on both modes, you have to bleed down the voltage first. I personally think it's important to be able to use CR123's as a backup battery even if the light may not be "optimized" for them like the A8.
I bought the A9s knowing it worked best with CR123's, but it's not my only light. It can also use the 18650 but with less than stellar regulation.

Another choice just as good would be the new MRV-SE/Epsilon.
They've upped the anty of lumens to 265 lumens, and it will run on high output for 3 hours with an 18650.
Plus, it will also run on CR123's or RCR123's, but the runtime is dismal with those other batteries.

The DBS with 2SD or 3SD module would also be a great choice for use with 18650 batteries (exclusively) (CR123's will damage the digital module).
The upshot of the DBS is that the company, Deree, has already demonstrated that they will offer upgrade modules as new emitters come out. Deree's upgrade policy is way better than either Tiablo or Lumipower.
Plus, if you get the DBS with digital module, but also get the non-digital module (2SM) as an extra module and keep it on hand, you can always change out just the module in the DBS and then run it on CR123's for emergencies when you can't charge your rechargeables.

Lot's of options, but as you can see, it's best to buy a light that's optimized for the type of batteries you want to use because using a different battery, even if possible, seems to always involve compromises.

Last edited:

llljamesjrlll

Newly Enlightened
i have actually taken a look at the mrv-se/epsilon . but it takes 2cr123 2rcr123 or 1 18650 . the only reason i have shyed away from these lights if i have read right is that you will need the higher voltage the 2cr123 or 2rcr123 6-8 volts or so to get the highest lumen rateing ? these multi battery lights run longer with the 1 18650 but lower brightness ? but lights optimized for the 18650 2.7-4.2v or so . to get max brightness from using the 18650 battery ?
if i have read right . so that i what has kept me away from the multi voltage lights seeing as i want to stick with only 18650 .
thanks for all the help so far its been great using these forums :thumbsup: