Prometheus        
Page 1 of 25 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Flashaholic

Default Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Please can somone explain to me why this 6P is so damn good. I have several other lights like a Mag 5D, Mag 2C, a Fenix P3D, and some no name models.

Some of them throw more light or have greater reach but none of them is overall so good as my P6!

Is it its size, is it the bulb, the looks, the feel, all of them??

What are your feelings about the 6P??

Default Re: Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Quote Originally Posted by dutchguy2 View Post

Yup, I'd say it's all of them

I really, really like the 6P. It is a really great design. A classic. Very simple, clean design. Great size and shape; it feels very good in the hand.

Its practicality is also very impressive. If the stock configuration is not to your liking, then the chances are that you can adjust it to how you want it. Add a KT1 TurboHead for vastly increased throw. Add an A19 extender and run it on three SF123a batteries, using the P90 or P91. With three cells you also have the option of using the KT2 TurboHead. Add a KR2 conversion kit and you have a rechargeable 6P. The recent release of the P60L lamp assembly has added further to the modularity of the 6P, allowing to to easy swap out the stock incandescent lamp assembly for an LED. Other models such as the 6PD, 6PN etc further allow you to get a 6P that is right for you.

Not to mention the fact that no light looks as good as a well worn 6P

Regards,
    Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest UK View Post
    Yup, I'd say it's all of them

I really, really like the 6P. It is a really great design. A classic. Very simple, clean design. Great size and shape; it feels very good in the hand.

Its practicality is also very impressive. If the stock configuration is not to your liking, then the chances are that you can adjust it to how you want it. Add a KT1 TurboHead for vastly increased throw. Add an A19 extender and run it on three SF123a batteries, using the P90 or P91. With three cells you also have the option of using the KT2 TurboHead. Add a KR2 conversion kit and you have a rechargeable 6P. The recent release of the P60L lamp assembly has added further to the modularity of the 6P, allowing to to easy swap out the stock incandescent lamp assembly for an LED. Other models such as the 6PD, 6PN etc further allow you to get a 6P that is right for you.

Not to mention the fact that no light looks as good as a well worn 6P

Regards,
    Tempest

Modular concept is powerful for upgrading. I think 6P is a standard component.

I don't that there are many other lights that have the package size as well as the power and the ease of customization that the 6P has. There are both incan and led option from dozens of companies. Plus, with a Pyrex lens and all aluminum construction, it can take the heat and the abuse.

It is also a very simple light. Think about it, the switch is momentary, not much to break. If you get led, it basically indestructible!

If you have it stolen or lose it, it can be replaced for around $50.
    Last edited by eshishlo; 12-09-2007 at 12:13 AM.
    All my lights are now hidden!
    http://www.watchandclockservice.com/

I love my 6PL. Its beautiful.
    SF G2-P60 (x 2), G2-M60LF, 6PL, 6P-M60LF, 6PD, G3L-Kx4, Inova X5, Inova X1 v.4, MiniMag Multimode, Fenix E01 (x 2), a battered old 3d maglite, and a brand new 4D whomp stick ....

Plus, the 6P goes great with the Z2!

upgrade to the C2

Quote Originally Posted by dutchguy2 View Post
    Please can somone explain to me why this 6P is so damn good. I have several other lights like a Mag 5D, Mag 2C, a Fenix P3D, and some no name models.

Some of them throw more light or have greater reach but none of them is overall so good as my P6!

Among pretty big Surefire M/L/A/P collection are are a C3, C2/M2, but the 6P is still a darling. I don't EDC it because it they are a bit bulky compared to today's wonderfully bright EDC lights (Fenix) that I've switched to but I still love the 6P. Why, I don't know...When I break out my 16-year-old 6P (it does fanny pack time with a snubbie revolver) I'm amazed at how well it's held up.

Quote Originally Posted by ttran97 View Post
    Plus, the 6P goes great with the Z2!

What kinda case is that?

Quote Originally Posted by captainzerocool View Post
    What kinda case is that?
    It's a Pelican 1060 Case. They don't come with foam, so you gotta order that separately for like 5 bucks or so. The case was $20 at Fry's, but can probably be found cheaper online. Water resistant, crushproof, dust proof. Details

Flashaholic*

I love the very simple design, there's less that can go wrong. From an engineering and design standpoint it makes more sense, too. As the old adage goes, "don't fix it if it ain't broke"!

Dudemar

Flashaholic*

6P and E2e will be SF's classics for years to come

I HAVE HAD MY 6P FOR LIKE 6 MONTHS AND IT IS A BEAUTIFUL LIGHT. LIKE TO OTHERS SAYED IT IS A CLASSIC. AND THE ALUMINUM I AWESOME.
    THE WOODS ARE THE PLACE TO BE.

Flashaholic*

I also love the 6P.

Like others, I also think the C2 is a logical upgrade to the 6P. It still fits the 6P sillouette, plus the convenience of a clip, lanyard, cigar ring and 4 flats for a better "Surefire" grip.

Again, let me say that I love the 6P too.

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    6P and E2e will be SF's classics for years to come
    +1
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Flashaholic*

The 6P is great. I prefer the C2 though, for the HA finish and the better grip. To me it's worth the extra price of admission. I also like to align the filaments horizontally with the grip for the widest field of vision.

That's not always necessary though with most LED drop-ins and certain incan lamps. Aside from that, it just looks cool.
    Last edited by ampdude; 04-27-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    ampdude

The 6P Defender was my first high quality light and it is still used all the time but now with a Malkoff M60in it!

Flashaholic*

This thread is from 2007

The well thought out design, the quality manufacturing, the simplicity, the beam quality, the durability, the lamp and reflector as a single unit, the size (small enough to be pocketable yet big enough to offer sufficient throw for most common uses), reliability in extreme conditions, the company that stands behind each one, …

Need more reasons?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by FlashKat View Post
    This thread is from 2007
    Old does not equal bad and new does not equal good. This thread could be from 1987, it doesn't matter! The Surefire 6 and the 6P still stand among the all time great lights. The platform has proven the test of time. If you're uncomfortable with the quality or versatility, there are plenty of lights out there that are not easily upgradeable and have few aftermarket parts. Enjoy!
    ampdude

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

I have several 6Ps, and they are still as good as ever. It is a nice size, not too big, not too small.

Still one of the best ever, and even better with an LED drop in.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

When you have so many imported lights blatantly copying the proven design of a light such as a 6P, you know there's a winning formula there. The size, fit and finish, operation, OEM service, output, reliability, modularity... you can't go wrong with these. Imitation is flattery, I suppose, although I call it stealing.

Long live the 6P!

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    This thread could be from 1987, it doesn't matter!
    Except if it was from '87 we'd be talking about a Minimag!

I don't own a 6P but remember seeing my first back in 1992. Being a buck private in the army I couldn't afford it. But I did pick up an E2E a few years back and think it's a perfect light to have around.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

I had a friend tell me that the 6P is Surefire's top seller, still!

Can anyone confirm this? I would not be surprised at all.

Love the 6P!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Seldom can I post a "+1" to pretty nearly all the posts in a thread.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by swampgator View Post
    Except if it was from '87 we'd be talking about a Minimag!
    The Surefire 6 is the ancestor of the 6P and was available then.
    ampdude

I bought a sure fire 6pL a few months ago and I love it thinking about geting it a dropin what what is the best led dropin for the 6p

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nathan225 View Post
    I bought a sure fire 6pL a few months ago and I love it thinking about geting it a dropin what what is the best led dropin for the 6p
    One word answer: anything from malkoffdevices.com

Longer answer: check the sticky at the top of the LED forum - lots of good choices.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

I wish I used my 6PD with XRE dropin more often.

I will agree that I love the build quality, the heft, the throw, all that on this light. And I would love for it to have that cool well used patina. But I HARDLY EVER use it. Don't hate me.

Honestly, for me, it's too big. About the biggest light I carry and use regularly is my Milky L4, which is quite a bit narrower, and slightly shorter, and has a clip. I got the 6PD because of threads like this, but I just don't use it. Despite that, I don't really want to get rid of it either. Humph!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan225 View Post
    P90 w/ 2x 16340 3.7 V cells or P91 w/ 2x IMR16340 cells, depending on whether you value brightness or runtime more.

Page 1 of 25 1234567811 ... LastLast