Acebeam        
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192223242526272829

Thread: Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Olumin, have you compared how bright is HO-4 module compared to Surefire standard 80lm module?

I donít have a P60 here to compare. Keep in mind that to my knowledge the P60 is not using standard ANSI lumens. The stock P60 has a claimed output of 65 lumens, not 80. It will probably appear to be a bit more than 65 ANSI lumens to your eyes. The HO-4 should be brighter either way with its claimed 150lm. Lumens factory also has the EO-4 which claims 190lm, which should certainly be brighter than a P60. Keep in mind that the difference between 150 and 190 is not very noticable to the eye. Iíd go with the HO-4 for the better runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Olumin View Post
    Copper has less electrical resistance then brass (more conductive), as well as better thermal conductivity. It really will not matter for any practical applications
    Copper helps a bit, but that's it. Also it seems to oxidize a tad faster so frequent cleaning is necessary.

I use both for Z41 McC mods. Usualy, the copper ring is reserved for the better Z41 hosts (usu. HAIII stock or aftermarket reanodized).

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    I have a few brass and some cu, makes no real difference as said. What can be a problem is the tail coming loose inside, so make sure nipped up good. Also naked 16650 (not button top protected) can sometimes be a little short depending on drop in, this can cause contact issues/ flickering. Quite a few i now use protected keeppowers, especially work 6p/z2. Some flat top 16650 i have added a magnet, obv have to be careful!.
    One of the basic rules for a Z41 McC mod to work is to have the switch internals installed firmly. In other words, screw the McC and retainer ring in until very snug. Do also take care of the switch boot though, as over-tightening of the switch could warp the boot (if the boot is not aligned properly)

Also the use of the Z41 stock boot for the McC internals is generally not recommended, as the stock boot cap is shorter than that bundled with the McC (DX soft-press, OR med- or hard-press, LF silicone med-press). If the stock Z41 boot were used the McC actuation cuold be rendered very sensitive.

BTW on a typical 6P setup any 16650/17670 usage should not require any magnets. The cell itself should provide enough length for effective electrical contact on both springed sides.

Thanks for all the tips, folks! I appreciate the help.
    ​"What do you carry a flashlight for?!"

Default Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

I donít have a P60 here to compare. Keep in mind that to my knowledge the P60 is not using standard ANSI lumens. The stock P60 has a claimed output of 65 lumens, not 80. It will probably appear to be a bit more than 65 ANSI lumens to your eyes. The HO-4 should be brighter either way with its claimed 150lm. Lumens factory also has the EO-4 which claims 190lm, which should certainly be brighter than a P60. Keep in mind that the difference between 150 and 190 is not very noticable to the eye. Iíd go with the HO-4 for the better runtime.

I can say the LF HO-A2 I have is definitely not as bright as the stock A2 bulb despite being rated for significantly more lumens. Not sure how that extrapolates to the P60. Itís not a huge difference in brightness but itís there to my eye.

There are often big differences in brightness even between the same model of bulb. That goes for both surefire and Lumens factory. Im not at all surprised this happend. Have you compared a different set of MA02 / HO-A2 to each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    I can say the LF HO-A2 I have is definitely not as bright as the stock A2 bulb despite being rated for significantly more lumens. Not sure how that extrapolates to the P60. Itís not a huge difference in brightness but itís there to my eye.
    The tightness of the hotspot between both brands are different, with LF having a larger but slightly weakened hotspot. Maybe that's why the LF bulb feels a bit less bright?

Quote Originally Posted by yazkaz View Post
    One of the basic rules for a Z41 McC mod to work is to have the switch internals installed firmly. In other words, screw the McC and retainer ring in until very snug. Do also take care of the switch boot though, as over-tightening of the switch could warp the boot (if the boot is not aligned properly)

Also the use of the Z41 stock boot for the McC internals is generally not recommended, as the stock boot cap is shorter than that bundled with the McC (DX soft-press, OR med- or hard-press, LF silicone med-press). If the stock Z41 boot were used the McC actuation cuold be rendered very sensitive.

BTW on a typical 6P setup any 16650/17670 usage should not require any magnets. The cell itself should provide enough length for effective electrical contact on both springed sides.

Yes thank you, i have been at it a good few years now. My typical 6p set ups are not typical. I have many custom drop ins which can vary in contact length to. Yes of course internals need to be installed firmly, but they can work loose over time with lots of use. Usually when flicker starts its down to something coming loose, i find its usually tail cap internals. Others experience may vary

It's funny how a few years back in what seems like a few weeks ago we'd just score a Z59 clicky from SureFire or online like Amazon. My first one arrived DOA and after reading Gene Malkoff reccomends a spring stretch it worked. Not convinced it would be uber reliable I kept it in a parts box for years.

After test driving a C2 with a McClicky I swapped that Z59 onto my favorite 6P, which has an M61WLL in it. I rely on the twisty but there's just something cool about a clicky. And there's just something cool about the SureFire 6P with or without anti-roll head.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    Thanks for all the tips, folks! I appreciate the help.
    I just installed the EDCPlus.com McClicky Z41 switch kit (brass w/medium boot; $11) and it has made a very big change for the better in my 6P's switch ergonomics. The switch now feels like I think SureFire should have made it feel. Love it!

This switch has a much better feeling and flicker-free momentary action, along with a nice clicky action. I would recommend it highly for anyone who feels the original SureFire 6P switch doesn't feel "right" or up to the same standards as the rest of the flashlight.

EDCPlus.com processed and shipped the order very quickly... I ordered it on the 6th and received it today; three days later!

Thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by desmobob; 11-09-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    ​"What do you carry a flashlight for?!"

Flashaholic*

You are right, I recalled wrong. It's stated 65lm.
    I am tempted to get as bright incandescent as possible with the advantage of recheargeable when I can recharge the battery more often. I also consider to get 9V module and place in 9P with extender. 380lm would be nice to have. Or shall I go for 500lm
    IMR module? Yes, LF also has a 700lm module. But here I think heat can be an issue...
    Anyway I actually have the possibility to get a few of each and try.

By the way: I compared LF 3,7V 90lm (e-series) module to Surefire P90 with the luxmeter. It actually has around half the brightness as P90(I have compared with full batteries). At least with the modules I compared. P90 is measured to having far above stated 105lm.
    Last edited by Swedpat; 11-11-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Where is the best place to pickup a 6p original?

Quote Originally Posted by bluemantra View Post
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemantra View Post
    If you need bored out for 18650

This is one of your choices.

This could be another choice.
    Last edited by fivemega; 11-10-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Couldn't resist upgrading my battery to 18650. Thanks fivemega.

Why is the 6P so good?

Just, becauseÖÖ

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Why is the 6P so good?

Just, becauseÖÖ
    Details on the shiny ones?

- Top is a round head with a Malkoff M361w, Malkoff tailcap and Elzetta speed clip. It came from a retired LAPD officer. M361w was a group buy here at CPF.
    - Next down is a 2015 6P with Z59 clicky (with shoulder drilled for a wrist strap) and Malkoff M61 WWL. Source was SureFire, Malkoff and Elzetta.
    - Mid way is a pure stuck gun metal version with Elzetta wire wrist strap ring. Source was a CPF member and Elzetta.
    - Next down is a pure stock with a (50 lumen thrower) R60 module. Source was the big 6P dump in 016 where they sold for around $25 at eBay and the R60 from a CPF member.
    - Bottom is a pure stock 6P with coating removed and alluminum was micro abrasive polished and Elzetta wire wrist strap ring. Source was CPF member and Elzetta.

All fueled by SureFire or Rayovac CR123 primaries. Wrist straps are generic or adjustable from Olight.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-29-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    - Top is a round head with a Malkoff M361w, Malkoff tailcap and Elzetta speed clip. It came from a retired LAPD officer. M361w was a group buy here at CPF.
    - Next down is a 2015 6P with Z59 clicky (with shoulder drilled for a wrist strap) and Malkoff M61 WWL. Source was SureFire, Malkoff and Elzetta.
    - Mid way is a pure stuck gun metal version with Elzetta wire wrist strap ring. Source was a CPF member and Elzetta.
    - Next down is a pure stock with a (50 lumen thrower) R60 module. Source was the big 6P dump in 016 where they sold for around $25 at eBay and the R60 from a CPF member.
    - Bottom is a pure stock 6P with coating removed and alluminum was micro abrasive polished and Elzetta wire wrist strap ring. Source was CPF member and Elzetta.

All fueled by SureFire or Rayovac CR123 primaries. Wrist straps are generic or adjustable from Olight.
    Thank you. I'm thinking of having one of mine hard chromed and was curious what I was looking at in your picture. That gunmetal looked very chromey!

Anyone have an idea of how many 6Ps were made during their entire run? My newest 6P has a SN of 81****. Maybe a million total?

It is thought that millions were produced over time. Batches were produced. Some for fulfilling gigantic orders to various militaries around the world and some for general sale. It was not just the US military that bought 6P and other SureFire lights. Turkey, Japan, Germany, South Korea and Isreal among others.

I don't know for sure but I think I read some batches began with A and when the number reached a point like say 999,999 then letter B would be used. Now one other thing was they were often released out of order. Say a batch of 300k was produced there would be times number 275,000 would be delivered before number 742 simply due to the way the bodies ended up in the assembly line. At least that's what I was told.

That's awesome.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192223242526272829