Klarus        
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Buttrock Re: Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    I look at pictures of beat up lights and wonder what I'm doing wrong. I carried the same light for almost 10 years and it barely looks used.

--flatline
    You are not doing anything wrong. Different people, different habits.
    I have been in the Army for a long time, and despite common misconception, it is not hard to keep an essential piece of personal equipment pristine.

Me? I have flat out carried my 6P lights with keys, knives and they have been the subject of rough usage frequently. But, I have a few other lights that I occasionally carry, and they are clean. No marks.
    I guess it depends on a number of factors, most notably your connection with the item, which honestly should play here because I do believe that we all love our Surefire 6Ps....for rough or easy....

Default Re: Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    I look at pictures of beat up lights and wonder what I'm doing wrong. I carried the same light for almost 10 years and it barely looks used.

--flatline
    Sometimes when I use my light I just take it out of my pocket, shine it on something, then return it to my pocket. Despite what some may tell you, using your light doesn't require throwing at a brick wall.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Sometimes when I use my light I just take it out of my pocket, shine it on something, then return it to my pocket. Despite what some may tell you, using your light doesn't require throwing at a brick wall.
    Sometimes I use mine while I'm working with tools on a ladder in a construction environment and sometimes it gets dropped, scrapped against various abrasive objects, etc, which give the light "character marks" otherwise known as scratches and dings. Not all of us work in an office.

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    Sometimes I use mine while I'm working with tools on a ladder in a construction environment and sometimes it gets dropped, scrapped against various abrasive objects, etc, which give the light "character marks" otherwise known as scratches and dings. Not all of us work in an office.
    Simply because you work in construction, engineering etc. doesn't mean you can subject your 6P to casual (or absolute) abuse...

"Sometimes it gets dropped..." -- don't you grip the light firmly (or place the light securely on a surface) when using it?

Don't underestimate repeated scratches, dings, chips etc. When the damage becomes structural it could mean worse.

Flashaholic*

I really love the host. Have a few with different aftermarket tail (miser, aw, mcclicky) and head (fivemega, lf, stock) options, all incand. Love them all. The only missing thing is a head option with a much shallower reflector so the beam is as wide as that off an e2e.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

After 35+ years working construction I get this. Sooner or later nearly any tool I have been tasked with carrying has gotten dropped, ding'd or scuff'd. One tends to use preventive tactics yet sooner or later things get dropped.

The key is under no circumstances what-so-ever do you drop it in a porta-jon.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    After 35+ years working construction I get this. Sooner or later nearly any tool I have been tasked with carrying has gotten dropped, ding'd or scuff'd. One tends to use preventive tactics yet sooner or later things get dropped.

The key is under no circumstances what-so-ever do you drop it in a porta-jon.
    I guess doing so would put things in sharp focus. How much do I like that light?

Would bring a whole new perpective in why it's called 6"p"....

The second version is suitable for a lanyard ring and wrist lanyard but the original all round type won't turn on if a lanyard ring is placed between body and tailcap in stock form. The tailcap is nearly touching the barrel when twisted to on with the round 6P. The anti-roll head version had enough gap to allow that.

PK devised a way to use the 6P and other products as nun-chuk devices in case of emergency.

...the original all round type won't turn on if a lanyard ring is placed between body and tailcap in stock form. The tailcap is nearly touching the barrel when twisted to on with the round 6P. The anti-roll head version had enough gap to allow that.
    I'm not following. My old school round body turns on just fine with a lanyard ring. That's a P60 in there.

My 6P (round) nor my 6R would.

Light's been around for 30 +/- years. This thread is 11 1/2 years old with 700 posts. It must be decent...
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Quote Originally Posted by yazkaz View Post
    Simply because you work in construction, engineering etc. doesn't mean you can subject your 6P to casual (or absolute) abuse...

"Sometimes it gets dropped..." -- don't you grip the light firmly (or place the light securely on a surface) when using it?

Don't underestimate repeated scratches, dings, chips etc. When the damage becomes structural it could mean worse.
    Obviously you do not work in the construction field, or you would understand that nearly every tool that is used frequently is almost impossible to keep in pristine condition. Construction sites are rough environments on everything, including tools, clothes, lunch boxes, flashlights and even the human body. Besides, Surefire 6Ps can take a lot of abuse before they are rendered unusable, same with most of their other lights...same for a lot of other brands of flashlights as well.

...The key is under no circumstances what-so-ever do you drop it in a porta-jon.
    Amen to that one! I once dropped a brand new Stanley 25' tape measure down a Port-a-john...as far as I was concerned, my brand new $20 tape measure ceased to exist at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Light's been around for 30 +/- years. This thread is 11 1/2 years old with 700 posts. It must be decent...
    I'd say so. The C2 is better looking, the Z2 more versatile, but there is just something about the 6P. Especially those round bodies.

Obviously you do not work in the construction field, or you would understand that nearly every tool that is used frequently is almost impossible to keep in pristine condition. Construction sites are rough environments on everything, including tools, clothes, lunch boxes, flashlights and even the human body. Besides, Surefire 6Ps can take a lot of abuse before they are rendered unusable, same with most of their other lights...same for a lot of other brands of flashlights as well.
    No I don't work in rough environments (even though I can feel you), but a buddy of mine does. Except that he's dealt with the Fenix PD3 and did abuse it until it broke, then claimed for a replacement. He does have a C2 but AFAIK he's not willing to subject that to the very same harsh work conditions..

The second version is suitable for a lanyard ring and wrist lanyard but the original all round type won't turn on if a lanyard ring is placed between body and tailcap in stock form. The tailcap is nearly touching the barrel when twisted to on with the round 6P. The anti-roll head version had enough gap to allow that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamagong View Post
    I'm not following. My old school round body turns on just fine with a lanyard ring. That's a P60 in there.
    My round bodied 6P (1999) works fine with a lanyard ring, however my round bodied 9P (1988) won't. It still works with momentary but the tailcap can't screw down enough for constant when a lanyard ring is fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    My round bodied 6P (1999) works fine with a lanyard ring, however my round bodied 9P (1988) won't. It still works with momentary but the tailcap can't screw down enough for constant when a lanyard ring is fitted.
    Is this because of the tailcap specs? AFAIK earlier tailcaps were shorter and would thus end up with compatibility issues...

How much does a pristine condition Surefire 6P Gunmetal in a box will cost now?

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer1 View Post
    Probably more than $100... perhaps even $200...

BTW earlier batch 6P-GM's finish looks a tad more blued than with the later silver batches

Deleted.
    Last edited by Slayer1; 05-18-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Please use the search feature to look for past sales info when looking for pricing info rather than asking in the open forum. Thanks.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Is this because of the tailcap specs? AFAIK earlier tailcaps were shorter and would thus end up with compatibility issues...
    No, the tailcaps are the same dimensions, what changed was the distance between the end of the tailcap thread on the body and where the body changes to 1" diameter.

The below photo has 6P and 9P round bodies for comparison, the 9P is on the left the 6P on the right.

The 9P dates from 1988 and the 6P from 1999.

Thanks Dave. Good info.

My stock tailcap kept falling apart when swapping batteries so I put a Malkoff clicky on it and an Elzetta speed clip so it is disguised as a mutt now. Malkoff 361W makes it a mighty sweet mutt.

The mutt is third from the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer1 View Post
    A million billion if you want it bad enough. I paid $60 for mine in 2018.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-18-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Flashaholic*

Probably more than $100... perhaps even $200...

BTW earlier batch 6P-GM's finish looks a tad more blued than with the later silver batches
    Really? I used to have one, serial #212 in fact with the crosshair logo and it didn't look any different than my newer GMs.

It had the two flats on the body, hex bezel and press fit lexan lens.

Are you referring to the super old round body ones?
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    Really? I used to have one, serial #212 in fact with the crosshair logo and it didn't look any different than my newer GMs.
    It had the two flats on the body, hex bezel and press fit lexan lens.
    Are you referring to the super old round body ones?
    I could only faintly recall the eB price based on past listings of the said item. A beat-up one would cost less of course.
    And no I wasn't referring to the super old round ones...

Yours would probably worth a bit more but personally I wouldn't fancy the older hex-base Z44 with press-fit Lexan. I did however have handled such example some years back when I helped another CPF member get one from a store in my vicinity

Thumbs up Re: Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

I bought a 6P GM fully modded from a European member on the MP years ago. Beautiful light. Won't accept the highest capacity18650 batteries, but that is easy enough to adjust
    Sharp looking light.

Quote Originally Posted by DRoc View Post
    I bought a 6P GM fully modded from a European member on the MP years ago. Beautiful light. Won't accept the highest capacity18650 batteries, but that is easy enough to adjust
    Sharp looking light.
    Not worth the risk boring the body to 18mm cell spec unless done by a pro. Especially with s precious body such as this one...

BTW, my only one 6P-GM was acquired in around 2013 (brand new in package) and so far I've only applied some cosmetic mods (Xeno bezel ring, McClicky upgrade). Such a great body, it's been holstered and put into storage (I have a box full of custom light hosts, all holstered).

It was bored professionally. IIRC, oveready boring job. By adjusting, I meant using lower capacity cells. It's unlikely that I would do anything to it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DRoc View Post
    It was bored professionally. IIRC, oveready boring job. By adjusting, I meant using lower capacity cells. It's unlikely that I would do anything to it myself.
    I too have an OR-modded 6P, 18mm bore spec (of course), HAIII hard clear (OD) reanodize. Have to give credit to OR for such 6P mod but they've since migrated to their Boss system and never turned back to SF parts support...

So you're saying the OR bore spec cannot accommodate protected 3400mAh cells? How about unprotected 3500mAh?

For anyone who is thinking of having these bored, just be warned, I had a 6P bored by a reputable member of this site and the threaded part of the body ended up snapping off. Although I haven't actually tested, The keeppower 16650 Batteries seem to have almost as much capacity as many 18650s under a 3.7 or 6 volt incan lamp, and no boring is required.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14171819202122232425 LastLast