Eye damage from looking into LED light

ktnguyen

Newly Enlightened
Is there any eye damage from looking directly into these high power (1-3W) led lights, especially for young children ?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Probably not, depending on how long you are speaking of and what brand and module of LEDs(The newer ones will produce twice or more light then the older ones for the same power).

Also check this thread.

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't really add to what's in the thread Gunner12 refers to, but I might point out that as far as very young children are concerned, at least in the case of those who've handled my Arc AAAP, for example, a light in the mouth can't do much damage to the eyes.

Luminescent

Enlightened
Is there any eye damage from looking directly into these high power (1-3W) led lights, especially for young children ?

The sun has much higher luminous intensity than any modern high power LED, plus high levels of UV danger, but human beings have survived thousands of years without blinding themselves by glancing at the sun.

The saving grace is the blink reflex.

Some very high power lasers can cause damage before the eye can blink, which makes them quite dangerous, but even 5W LED lights do not have high enough power levels to fall into this category.

There are other cases where the blink reflex may not offer enough protection, such as when the optical wavelength has strong IR or UV components (this problem is found in common sun lamps), but white LED's emit energy almost 100% in the visible range only.

I personally would worry more about the kids eating the batteries, or shorting something out and causing a burn or battery explosion.

AA alkaline batteries are probably ok, but I would NEVER let kids play with a light that uses CR123 (or any lithium batteries) or NiCad batteries, as they both have toxic elements and very high energy densities which should not be placed in inexperienced hands.

AvPD

Enlightened
I noticed something that looks like a raindrop on a camera lens in my vision when I blink or squint, not long after I got my first power LEDs a few months back. I had been indirectly looking into the beams to get a sense of the output, a practice I no longer continue, without eye protection at least. I haven't been concerned about it enough to see an eye doctor as it's not there when I don't blink or squint.

deathkenli

Newly Enlightened
Not likely, not by a LED flashlight at least.
A GREEN laser is much more dangerous. You can permanently damage someone's retina with a 30mW green laser.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a 30mw laser, planning to be careful..

Anyway, while it probably not cause any damage, wouldnt reccomend doing it either

Crenshaw

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
i have a 30mW green laser but have never tried looking into it.
i have looked into my Cree flashlight a few times and its really distorts the center of your vision. its like looking into the sun

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed something that looks like a raindrop on a camera lens in my vision when I blink or squint, not long after I got my first power LEDs a few months back. I had been indirectly looking into the beams to get a sense of the output, a practice I no longer continue, without eye protection at least. I haven't been concerned about it enough to see an eye doctor as it's not there when I don't blink or squint.

Have it looked at - it may be a floater. A floater is a clump of cells floating around the aqueous humor of the eyeball, and can interfere with vision. They are not uncommon and not usually a major issue.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs or Lasers are not to look into. I do have afraid cause one friend has damaged his retina with one greel laser. Just take care.... or give a less powerful light to the children play.

Our eyes are sensitive... Avoid accidents! :thumbsup:

umberto

Newly Enlightened
if you look at it and concentrate if it does not float away from you then it is not a floater and it should be looked at. If it is a new floater, then it should still be looked at anyway to make sure nothing bad is causing the floater

AvPD

Enlightened
Having researched floaters, it appears to be some other phenomena.
I will consider seeing an eye doctor for some more information when my budget allows.