Wife Needs A Search and Rescue Light

Maker102

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, My wife works for the local ambulance service. The powers to be decided that their personnel should be equiped with a bright portable light. This light will come into play if someone is ejected from the vehicle in the event of an accident. This is the case at least a few times a year so I doubt it will get excessive use. I should also note that she "guards her toys" so I will not get to give it the exercise it would normally need. What are your top picks under $100.00. Thanks for the help.

Supernam

Enlightened
Maglight with Terralux drop in. Relatively cheap about $50. It's size and color choices make it readily recognizable to anyone. You can smash windows and other stuff with it. It's bright and long running. Reliable. I would stay away from small lights since they seem to get misplaced/stolen.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest the Fenix L2T v2. It's a simple to operate 2 stage light with a low that is bright enough to be used for most tasks and a decently bright high which has pretty good throw. It uses readily available AA batteries and it's large enough for a good grip if your wife is wearing gloves or mitts. The L1T v2 is good too but smaller and the high is not as bright. Either would be a good choice I think.

Ski Trucker

Newly Enlightened
How about surefire G2 led. It uses c123 batteries and these will stay better in the light durning non use time. I think a mag might be a little big to carry daily. The G2 can be carried in a holster. Also a good headlight might be a way to go beause it will feel her hands and has different levels.

Maker102

Newly Enlightened
Adding a little information. The ambulance crew normally arrives on scene before the fire department, therefore the need for a light that will help find the people in the dark fast. This is not a weekly or monthly event but like I have said before it does occur a few times a year. I appreciate the hands free opinion but this light will not be used for patient care strictly finding the person then she will switch to a small pen light for eye evaluation. With three people on the ambulance I feel confident in saying that soon after finding the injured person ambulance lights will come into play in very short order. Thanks for the comments so far, keep em flowing.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 or 3d mag & malkoff with stipple reflector + ucl lense

BillG

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight scorpion Xenon model. uses 2x 123 cells. lithium is great for cold weather and last ~10yrs shelf life. about the size of a mini mag but a little fatter. very nice rubber grip. has flood to spot adjustable focus.

about $25 plus shipping. has spare bulb inside. as bright as a 3D Mag.

a4d

Enlightened
One of my best freinds was on the EMS, and he always carried a MAG 2D cell LED, he loved it.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2L $65 (batteryjunction.com + 6 spare batteries) or something simple, portable, & VERY small like the Fenix P1CE $31 (lighthound.com)

Get her 1 mode. 5-modes tends to be troublesome.

-E

Wyeast

Enlightened
Another vote for the G2L. Simply to operate. No fuss warranty. And CR123's will work in cold weather and/or after sitting in the light with months of no/little use.

Not the smallest, not the brightest. But it works.

saildude

Newly Enlightened

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
What about an Ultrafire C2? https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6177 High output, decent throw and a wide flood beam for quickly illuminating large areas at once, compact without being so small that it will be easily lost, good build quality, affordable, can use 2x CR123 for low temps or an 18650 for longer runtime, etc. I think if you bought her this and stocked up with a few cheap CR123s ordered online it would make a very good choice. Also available with the higher output Cree Q5 for a couple dollars more.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure-Fire E2E/6-P...with a blue filter...The clip (E2E) will help keep her from losing it, and Sure-Fire filters "flip" out of the way when not needed, but are always attached to the light...so she'll always have blue light available for the obvious.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
How about a Novatac 85P. Bright enough for search and locate, also completely programmable with four quick to access light levels. Nearly indestructable and small enough for EDC. Pair this with a nice leather holster and it's a winning combo. Also the 85P is avalable for $98 delivered. Not bad price for the quality.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Thats a serious job, get a serious light. Ditto on the SF G2l

I can't aggree more with NUMBERS on this, a serious job requires aserious tool. My uncle was an EMT for like 11 years and he carried the Surefire 6p I bought him and loved it, the G2l would be the perfect light for your wife.

-Long runtime, high output, tough as nails, uses lithiums so it can stay unused for a while, and well, it's a Surefire, what else is there to say really :thinking: ???:D. My best for you and your wife.

-Evan

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2L or Fenix T1 Bright (fenix) Decently bright (SF) both are tought lights and about the same price. The T1 would also break a car window if needed...the G2 not so much...but their are better tools for that than a flashlight.