help with G2L

flash_bang

Enlightened
I have a G2 incan, and the bulb burned out, so I'm thinking about getting a p60L for it to upgrade it and also get it running again.

The only thing I'm worried about is if I'm running the P60L in the nitrolon body, will heat prematurely kill the LED? I want to avoid getting the 6PL, but I need to know if the heat factor from the P60L will mess itself up.

I'm thinking of getting two P60L's and 24 SF123's as a christmas present to myself :D

Thanks very much,
Flash

PS, do you think it would be worth the money to get a beamshaper for the G2 to spread the beam out a little? Can you really tell the difference or no? Thx much

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the first question, the P60L (the LED version of the P60/61 lamp assembly) is temperature controlled. It dims down if getting to hot -- resulting in slightly less output and longer runtime in the G2 as compared to the 6P body (they both start at the 80 lumens max output, but dim down after a short time if let on).

It seems that a lot of customers were not too happy with this solution, which is why Surefire now ships the G2L with an Aluminum head.

But the P60L runs safe in the Nitrolon body, and I'm quite satisfied with its brightness.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who has the G2L with the alum head in stock? I fear buying online as all the brick-and-mortar stores still have the full nitrolon models.

flash_bang

Enlightened
re elgarak: thanks very much! I was hoping it wouldn't mess up the LED, this is very good news! Also, in referance to the Brightness and temp regulation of the LED, if I let it run for, say, a half hour continuously, then let it cool off, will it come back on at full brightness?

re Buck91: My local sportsman's warehouse had the G2L with Al head when I went there earlier today

Also, for anyone that can answer, can I order a C2 head directly from surefire to help with the heat? Thanks!

thanks much everyone!
Flash

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it will come back at full brightness when cool.

Lowe's seems to stock them according to what I read around here. It's been a while since I stopped by my local one to check, though.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called SureFire customer service about my G2L with Nitrolon head. They sent me an aluminium bezel at no charge, so perhaps they could help you out.

Regards,
Tempest

Spypro

Enlightened
Is it still possible to find a G2L with Nitrolon head somewhere ? or would it be wise to buy a lower priced G2 and put a P60 drop-in in it ? (like WE 170lumen or some DX/KD).
I was looking for an G2 or G2L (full Nitrolon) as a tuff' flashlight for my car. And I also want to use rechargeable in it.

Thanks !