Best Upgradable Light?

a4d

Enlightened
Whats the best light to buy that can be upgraded to the moon? Just wondering incase i get bored and want something to do. I've read some threads about upgrading and t seems like a lot of MAG's get overhauled. Incandescent or LED it doesn't matter, battery source doesn't matter either.

a4d

Enlightened
Alright. Wich Mag would be the best for upgrades? Also how are Surefire G2's for beign upgraded?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 is an excellent upgrade platform. It is essentially the same form factor as the 6P, so what is good for the 6P is good for the G2. My daily use setup is: G2 + Dereelight 1S Q5 OP + Protected 17670. High output setup is expected to be (once the Malkoff M60 9V is released): G2 + M60 + Protected R123A (x 2). Highest output setup is expected to be (once the Wolf Eye HO D26 13V is available): G2 + D26 + TNC Extender + Protected R123A (x 3).

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I would venture that the 3D Mag is the most versatile Mag. The 3 cells gives it the best bang for the buck for most LED dropins, and gives you the space for any number of ROP type mods. Between incan and LED upgrades, cell adapters, lens and reflector replacement, switch upgrades (including making a multi-mode Mag switch), there can be countless hours of mod enjoyment.

a4d

Enlightened
The G2 is an excellent upgrade platform. It is essentially the same form factor as the 6P, so what is good for the 6P is good for the G2. My daily use setup is : G2 + Dereelight 1S Q5 OP + Protected 17670. High output setup is expected to be (once the Malkoff M60 9V is released): G2 + M60 + Protected R123A (x 2). Highest output setup is expected to be (once the Wolf Eye D26 13V is available): G2 + D26 + TNC Extender + Protected R123A (x 3).
Did you start with the base G2, or the G2L

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both G2 models and they are exactly the same aside from the fact that the G2L shipped with an aluminum bezel for superior heat dissipation. The setups listed above will work with either.

a4d

Enlightened
Ya the reason i asked about wich G2 just because the base is almost $30 cheaper. Is it really worth getting the G2L for the heat dissapation or will the normal G2 be ok.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The normal G2 is the ticket as long as you request that your unit be shipped with the new aluminum bezel. Keep in mind that you will lose the scratch and corrosion resistance of Nitrolon with the new bezel.

Last edited:

a4d

Enlightened
Alright thanks for the help. We'll see how it goes money wise. First i want to finish my mini mag, then move on.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Go ahead and finish your little M@glight first, then go and get a 3 D M@glight and spend the rest of the month totally confused as to which option you want to do. I agree with Marduke, you can do a single LED and 3 D cells or venture into the multiple AA inserts they make for those things and then its 3,4,5, maybe 6 LEDs with amazing light output to those really neat (and I am going to build one but I have to finish off projects for wife first) M@g85's and ROP builds or even better and brighter incan lights. A 2 D M@g also does and can do alot.

Bob E.