CR123 Lithium Headlamp?

TMorita

Enlightened
Hey guys, anyone know if they make a Lithium battery powered headlamp, perhaps with 2 or 3 CR123 Batts? Something that is similar in power to a Surefire?

Try searching for "Princeton Tec Apex Pro" in this forum.

Toshi

iced_theater

Enlightened
Not similar in power to a Surefire, but decent enough and extremely flat regulation. The Nuwai HLX-712L; runs for 5 hours with 2 CR123 cells on high.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The argo HP comes highly recommended, as you can also run it on a single 17670 cell instead of the 2xCR123s. Also, it is very reasonably priced and very well built. With a swap to a better LED (like a rebel or Seoul) you can basically double the output in both modes without any loss in runtime.

sed6

Enlightened
I don't like the Streamlight Argo HP. It has two settings, lo and hi. On low it buzzes, a very quite high-pitched buzz or humm. Drives me crazy! In a noisy environ or on someone else's head, no problem, but not on my head, not anymore. This is a shame really because I like everything else about the light. I didn't notice this on its first use in my attic running speaker wire. When I did notice it was I was underground, in a cave, asking others WTF that damn noise was. They looked at me like I was crazy (I'm used to that) because they couldn't hear it from 3-4 feet away! Just my $.02.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the output of a Surefire, a lot of guys will just clip an E1L to the brim of their baseball cap to work as a headlamp.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the Streamlight Argo HP. It has two settings, lo and hi. On low it buzzes, a very quite high-pitched buzz or humm. Drives me crazy! In a noisy environ or on someone else's head, no problem, but not on my head, not anymore. This is a shame really because I like everything else about the light. I didn't notice this on its first use in my attic running speaker wire. When I did notice it was I was underground, in a cave, asking others WTF that damn noise was. They looked at me like I was crazy (I'm used to that) because they couldn't hear it from 3-4 feet away! Just my $.02.

the hi-freq switching of the converters drives me crazy too. in some designs this is more noticeable when the batts are fresh; in others when the batts are drained.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened

oh yeah, now you mentioned the buzzing. i think i must be quite deaf to it. :whistle:

darn electronics. :wtf:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second commercial version of the HDS Action Light was very interesting but I don't know it's current status. 2xCR123 and widely programmable it was the coolest headlight IMO, except that it was only rigged for helmets.

Craig has a review of the first model but I can no longer find anything on the slicker, second version. :sigh: