Modding Fenix LOD Q4's modes?

Splat_NJ

Newly Enlightened
After EDCing my ARC AAA-P for the past couple of years I finally will be getting a new light. I ordered a Fenix LOD Q4 from Fenix Store and cannot wait until it gets here! :twothumbs I didn't know which forum to place this in so moderators please forgive me and move this to the appropriate forum if needed. I was wondering if there's a way to mod the Fenix LOD Q4 modes... I'd like the Primary mode to be the low power setting instead of the medium. This will be my first light with multiple output settings so maybe I'm just worrying before actually getting the darn thing. For the record though.... is there a way to mod the LOD Q4's settings? Thanks.
--
Splat

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible? Maybe. Easily/cheaply? Nope.

The UI is not user-adjustable. You might be able to find someone who could swap the converter for a Flupic, but the mod would probably cost (significantly) more than the light.

I too wish the primary mode was "low", and I'd rather it didn't have the strobe and SOS modes, but I'll tolerate these minor issues for the performance. It's pretty unbeatable for this form factor.

(I too EDC'ed and Arc AAA-P for a few years, and had some reservations about replacing it with an L0D CE almost a year ago. Those reservations lasted about as long as it took me to load a 10440. :) And the Q4 is a BIG improvement.)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think there is a chip in the driver that creates the modes and I think that can be reprogrammed. Good luck getting to the chip reprogramming it.

If you don't want the medium, cover the head while you switch it on-off-on quickly to go to low mode.

Splat_NJ

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys. I figure I may just be jumping the gun before even giving it a chance. I've read a few posts from guys who had the same reservations I have but they were assuaged with time/use of this great light. Happy Holidays!
--
Splat

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

The UI is not user-adjustable. You might be able to find someone who could swap the converter for a Flupic, but the mod would probably cost (significantly) more than the light.

I too wish the primary mode was "low", and I'd rather it didn't have the strobe and SOS modes, but I'll tolerate these minor issues for the performance. It's pretty unbeatable for this form factor.

(I too EDC'ed and Arc AAA-P for a few years, and had some reservations about replacing it with an L0D CE almost a year ago. Those reservations lasted about as long as it took me to load a 10440. :) And the Q4 is a BIG improvement.)

How does performance and runtime compare between the 10440's, lithium AAA E2's, and regular Alkalines for the L0D Q4?

And are there different capacity 10440's out there, and are they all protected? What is the nominal capacity of the alkalines and of the lithium AAA's?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I've never really used AAA lights extensively and I don't have a feel for these comparisons in real usage.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for a light that is both user programmable and safe to use with 10440s (the light has low voltage cutoff, and limits current to ~600mA draw as opposed to >1A like the L0D). It's not a "shock and awe" light like the L0D on 10440, but I find it to be much more practical (especially since the low level can be extremely low -- good for working up close in the dark without dazzling your eyes)

LF2 ICree versions still uses pretty old bins, like P3/P4, but the head can be opened. I intend to upgrade mine to an Rx bin sometime down the line, then reprogram the brightness settings so the improvement in efficiency gives me more runtime rather than more brightness (which is already as much as I need).

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does performance and runtime compare between the 10440's, lithium AAA E2's, and regular Alkalines for the L0D Q4?
I only use this light for short bursts, and I have no interest in doing a runtime test with an unprotected cell. Plus it get hot. I assume the runtime on a 10440 is significantly less than any primary AAA and maybe even an Eneloop.

As far as performance, low w/10440 appears to be pretty close to medium w/Alkaline. High w/10440 compares favorably to my other EDC light (SSC P4 running at 1A).

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I wish my L0D Q4 would come on in low mode, sometimes high. But over all I find medium is a nice compromise between the two. So I like it and wish the other lights followed. One distinct advantage is when showing the light off, going from low to high just makes the high mode seem that much higher. (This light is bright!)

I recommend the LSD (they keep thier ccharge for a long time when not used) type rechargeable nimh batteries like eneloop. That way you get the low cost of rechargeables with a battery that you can count on to light the light. In fact for fun, try running the light on a rechargeable and see how long moon mode lasts you.

This light rocks, and give medium a chance as it is a nice compromise in run time and brightness. It isn't going to blind you in the moment it takes to go to low if you really need or want low.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

I've seen this answer a couple times now, but if price was no factor, what would the possibilities be and how much would it cost? Is there anyone capable of doing it?
I think there is a chip in the driver that creates the modes and I think that can be reprogrammed. Good luck getting to the chip reprogramming it.
Or is this a real possibility, and again, is there anyone here capable of doing and how much would it cost?

Latest posts