Frustrated with batteries

jaymasta

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, I just purchased a new camera the other day a canon 850is, I was going to buy a new battery when I bought the camera and they wanted 89.95, the guy was going to "give" it to me for 49.95 since I just spend $300 on a new camera anyways I decided to pass on it and got him to throw in some other crap, however after I have done my research the camera uses the nb5l battery and I can easily find 2 of these batterys and an additional charger on ebay brand new shipped to my house for under $20.00, and there are tons of them all over ebay many starting at under $5 for just the battery, and it just annoys the crap out of me how they are so cheap some places but it seems locally I can't get anywhere NEAR these prices...any thoughs or reason for this ?
PS the battery was a 3rd party battery so it wasn't cannon made...

meuge

Enlightened
hey guys, I just purchased a new camera the other day a canon 850is, I was going to buy a new battery when I bought the camera and they wanted 89.95, the guy was going to "give" it to me for 49.95 since I just spend $300 on a new camera anyways I decided to pass on it and got him to throw in some other crap, however after I have done my research the camera uses the nb5l battery and I can easily find 2 of these batterys and an additional charger on ebay brand new shipped to my house for under $20.00, and there are tons of them all over ebay many starting at under $5 for just the battery, and it just annoys the crap out of me how they are so cheap some places but it seems locally I can't get anywhere NEAR these prices...any thoughs or reason for this ?
PS the battery was a 3rd party battery so it wasn't cannon made...
3rd party lithium-ion batteries tend to start fires and explode.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
You make it sound like there's a 1/3 chance that a knockoff battery will burst into a supernova on its own accord.

I haven't bought an original battery in years, and I've never had a problem.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have also bought Lithium packs for my Canon, laptop, portable DVD player, cell phones, cordless phones on Ebay. I look for a seller that has high sales count, positive ratings, larger operation they would not want to jeopardize.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
There are so many records of 3rd party exploding lithium ion batteries people have actually died from it. I wouldn't take the risk of importing any non fda approved items unless I knew how it worked.