Fix for that slippery light

nMotion96

Newly Enlightened
I dunno if anyone tried this before. I used this stuff called plastic dip. I used the dip version to seal battery packs that i build. There is also a spray version that i used to spray the body of the flash light. This gave the light a rubber coating that gives it a not slip surface to hold on it. I only tested it out so i only spray the body so far. It works really well and doesn't scratch off. But when you need to you can peel it off pretty easy. It will also protect the finish from scratches also. Comes in a few different colors to chose from.

http://www.plastidip.com/

picture of my plastic dipped fenix p2d q5
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/nmotion96/temp/DSC00001.jpg

Last edited:

GBone

Newly Enlightened
Wow! That looks very promising! :grin2:

I have been looking for a similar solution for my L0D Q4... I may even be able to disguise the funky reddish orange as well as the snow flakes and jingle bells. ;)

nobita

Newly Enlightened
nMotion96: thank for the info. What body are you using on the P3d Q5? I'm interested :)

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well since we have started the issue on adding permanet stuff on flashlights how about these spary on gun finishes with a texture for guns?

Sorry but I am forgeting the brand/name....

fa__

Newly Enlightened
What would be their best product to replacer the outer skin of AA and D batteries ?
Anyway, it seems very interesting for many many things ! Thanks for sharing your knowledge

litework

Newly Enlightened
I've not used that stuff on flashlights, but I have used it to seal the ends of some very expensive and moisture sensitive fiber optic cables I help manufacture. It works great.

keysandslots

Newly Enlightened
I've tried out a rubber tape called X-Treme tape. This stuff is amazing. It will repair almost anything, by bonding to itself. Put it on, leave it for 24 hours and it's one solid piece. Here's a photo, using it on my MRV:

Dscn5213.jpg

Notice you can still see the texture of the ring under the tape. I have used the plastic dip stuff and for certain things (tool handles particularly) it's great but it smells awful, it's quite messy to use, it's also finicky (you need to dip and then pull the item out very carefully) and, once opened, it does not last long, even when the can is well-sealed.

Randy

nMotion96

Newly Enlightened
well since we have started the issue on adding permanet stuff on flashlights how about these spary on gun finishes with a texture for guns?

Sorry but I am forgeting the brand/name....

The plastic dip stuff isn't permanent. you can peel if off if you need to later.

I've tried out a rubber tape called X-Treme tape. This stuff is amazing. It will repair almost anything, by bonding to itself. Put it on, leave it for 24 hours and it's one solid piece. Here's a photo, using it on my MRV:

Dscn5213.jpg

Notice you can still see the texture of the ring under the tape. I have used the plastic dip stuff and for certain things (tool handles particularly) it's great but it smells awful, it's quite messy to use, it's also finicky (you need to dip and then pull the item out very carefully) and, once opened, it does not last long, even when the can is well-sealed.

Randy

There is a spray version that works better for doing flash lights. you can coat it until it is as thick as you would like. The dip stuff last long if you put aluminum foil over the cap. If it starts to get thick it said to mix something into it. It list it on the can.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Wrap-Fix tape works quite well for a week or two EDC'ing, then it starts splitting and about a week later looks pretty bad and needs replacing. Not too bad a deal when you're replacing it every 3 weeks and only takes about a minute to do, but it's definitely not permanent.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about spray-on epoxy paint and a sprinkling of sand? Not pretty maybe, but probably pretty grippy!

And no, I'm not going to do that to my Surefires :)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I put a 1/4" strip of black skateboard tape around the head of my first Fenix P1D CE because the original knurling was inadequate. I sanded the tape down slightly so it wouldn't catch on my pocket. The tape was installed when the P1D CE's first came out and still works perfectly and looks pretty good, better in fact, than the cheap anodize.

Since the tape goes over the knurling I may have added a little goop to augment the factory adhesive. I don't remember what I used but it was nothing special, possibly rubber cement. I did the same to my Fenix EO with similar results. Both lights are on my keyring and are used every day

Brightnorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard Cold Shrink tubing works pretty well and has a nice softness to it, polyefin shrink tubing has a nice feel to it. Tech-Tron makes some that I have in smaller sizes, it has a great finish, and when cooled it is amazingly tough.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Guys you absolutely have to try Brooks Tactical A-Grip peel and stick. Its made for pistol grips, it works awesome I have it on all my daily carry pistols.They also sell it in uncut sheets about 8x10 inches.I use this stuff on anything I hndle or carry, been using it on my edc lights since I found it.It feels like super fine roughout leather but is strong and does not get slippery when wet from sweat or blood, etc...This stuff is awesome! I will get some pics up tomorrow. You can get it diff places online but I get it from Brownells with my dealer discount its only $20 a sheet.
Matt

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the scate board tape. I have put it in my camera grip and doing a meticulous job will blend as being original...